chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
the tweet makes it clear that he's talking primarily about the MS-13, a violent international gang that is on par with the Nazis (in fact, they're associated with the Sureños, who also has ties to the Aryan Brotherhood, due to them both being enemies of the Black Guerilla Family). hell, nearly the entirety of Mexico considers MS-13 to be vermin

NO

"They don’t care about crime and want illegal immigrants, no matter how bad they may be, to pour into and infest our Country, like MS-13 (has infested our Country.)" That is the meaning I take from it. He is claiming that MS-13 has already infested this country and now more 'illegal aliens' will do the same.

That seems to be a stretch trying to tie MS-13 to Nazis/white supremacists. Do you have any links that I can read on that. I am not seeing any connection.

That is the point of an asylum screening, to catch criminals trying to enter the country. This administration is blocking people from ports of entry to even try to declare asylum!

All this MS-13 stuff is just a smoke screen anyway. They don't want Hispanic people here.

you don't know who the previous 3 US presidents were, don't you?

in 1996, then-president Clinton put this into law. the next 2 presidents, Bush and Obama, did jack-shit about it.

suddenly, somebody actually does something about it and everyone gives him credit for starting it.

No one did this but Trump. He initiated the Zero-Tolerance policy that put us where we are. Just because something is a law doesn't mean it is moral. Slaves counting as 3/5 of a person was a law, Jim Crow was a law, not allowing women to vote was a law, and segregation was a law. They are claiming their zero tolerance policy is the law (its not) and so that *must* enforce it. A few weeks ago the DOJ announced that they would not defend the ACA. The ACA is a law! Why *must* they enforce immigration to a zero-tolerance extent, but turn their backs on the ACA? It is hypocritical bullshit. It is thinly veiled racism.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Let me cut through the bullshit. White supremacists want to limit brown people coming into the US. This policy is an extremely effective method to accomplish this goal.

It is a human rights violation, but it is effective.

If you support it fuck you. Fuck you right in your stupid face. Give me a warning point, I don’t give a fuck I’m going to call you Nazi fuckers out.

Your open hatred of people who believe differently than you make it very hard for anyone to have a reasoned discussion about any topic. If you really think the immigration topic can be broken down into "anyone who doesn't want mass immigration is a racist because they hate brown people" then why are you even engaging? It's a waste of your time and other people's time.

Dull, unimaginative toxic hyperbole doesn't do anything for anyone. You're not going to change anyone's mind by calling them literally Hitler because they hold a different stance than you. When you type shit like this, all you're doing is creating an echo chamber around yourself. You can view someone else's views as abhorrent, but the second you start attacking the person instead of the view, you've lost any hope of civil discourse.

How you wish to proceed is on you, but one of the main reasons there's such a divide in this country is so many people are unwilling to engage with the other side, and when they do they act better than them. There are a multitude of reasons people could disagree with you on this topic that aren't related to open borders.

My father, for example, is an immigrant. It took him over ten years to get into this country. He's disgusted that these people are trying to hop the line. Is he a White Supremacist? Is he a Nazi?

Last edited:

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
But why aren't masses of people illegally immigrating to Mexico and South America?

Maybe they are shitholes.......just maybe....

kisspng-emoji-thought-the-thinker-sticker-internet-meme-thinking-man-5acd521f5da760.6236591115234053433836.jpg

S_O_C_K_S

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
Let me cut through the bullshit. White supremacists want to limit brown people coming into the US. This policy is an extremely effective method to accomplish this goal.

It is a human rights violation, but it is effective.

If you support it fuck you. Fuck you right in your stupid face. Give me a warning point, I don’t give a fuck I’m going to call you Nazi fuckers out.
Troll much? Or are you really calling the people who have a different opinion racist? What would you say about Trump's action on Canada with Tariffs? I'm in shock that you took this thread to that level. In no way has anyone said anything close to that. If you need me to clarify any of my posts I would be happy to do so. I agree that some people who support Trump are very much so racist but you have to understand not everyone is. I'm sure Clinton and Obama have racist supporters as well. To assume someone is racist to make their argument invalid or to view things in that light is disappointing.

At this point I wish I didn't start this thread. I knew it would garner some strong opinions but not go this far. I respect everyone's opinion in here even thou I may disagree.

Last edited:

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Troll much? Or are you really calling the people who have a different opinion racist? What would you say about Trump's action on Canada with Tariffs? I'm in shock that you took this thread to that level. In no way has anyone said anything close to that. If you need me to clarify any of my posts I would be happy to do so. I agree that some people who support Trump are very much so racist but you have to understand not everyone is. I'm sure Clinton and Obama have racist supporters as well. To assume someone is racist to make their argument invalid or to view things in that light is disappointing.

At this point I wish I didn't start this thread. I knew it would garner some strong opinions but not go this far. I respect everyone's opioion in here even thou I may dissa

There really is something called "Trump Derangement Syndrome." With Obama you could have had at least reasoned debate about anything. But Trump makes a portion of those who oppose him see red and a portion of those who support him, blind zealots. If you feel you must have a debate about this with someone, go for it. Once they start throwing hyperbole at you, insulting you as a person, just bow out of it. There is no reasoning with someone who wants to call you the most vile thing they know to call anyone simply because you see things differently than them. Why enter a discussion with someone who actually hates you because you vote differently than them?

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
That seems to be a stretch trying to tie MS-13 to Nazis/white supremacists. Do you have any links that I can read on that. I am not seeing any connection.
the reason you're not seeing any connection is because you didn't read the links I already provided before you quoted them:

vtm5pPG.png

qHYcZ6z.png

S_O_C_K_S

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
There really is something called "Trump Derangement Syndrome." With Obama you could have had at least reasoned debate about anything. But Trump makes a portion of those who oppose him see red and a portion of those who support him, blind zealots. If you feel you must have a debate about this with someone, go for it. Once they start throwing hyperbole at you, insulting you as a person, just bow out of it. There is no reasoning with someone who wants to call you the most vile thing they know to call anyone simply because you see things differently than them. Why enter a discussion with someone who actually hates you because you vote differently than them?
I have never been called that before. I was a little blown away. I'm hopeful it was a troll. Great response. I agree it's not worth it. Regarding the "Trump Derangement Syndrome"........wow....you couldn't be more right. One person one day said that and it spread. It's a pretty bad way it justify your own believes.

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm impartial either way, I'm just sick of hearing that fuckers name constantly.

Not like anyone here can do anything about what's going on anyways.

Reactions: Antamania

S_O_C_K_S

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor
I'm impartial either way, I'm just sick of hearing that fuckers name constantly.

Not like anyone here can do anything about what's going on anyways.
Metroidz.......I would have to agree even thou I started this thread. We certainly do hear his name more then any other president. I'm sure it started because all of the democrats assumed they would win by a landslide over a TV guy. Personally there's many things about him that annoy the shit out of me. The way he talks. The hair. The fact that he's not presidential. He's filthy rich and I'm not. Many more... However I voted for him because I didn't want to see the country cont. to go in the same direction it has been. Hillary was a very poor option. If there was a better candidate than Trump I would have voted for that person. I would have crossed the aisle. I'm happy with my vote. The country is far better off then the day Obama left office. I don't think anyone really can argue that. Honestly...if he was doing a bad job then nobody would hear a thing. It's the left leaning folks who have to justify their parties disappointment.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Your open hatred of people who believe differently than you make it very hard for anyone to have a reasoned discussion about any topic.
I do not hate everyone that believes differently than me. I hate white supremacists. I am calling out people like this and this. This is not a binary choice. It is not either zero tolerance vs. open borders. There are things in the middle. That middle ground is where it has been up until about 6 weeks ago when Trump enacted a zero tolerance policy. They *knew* that the result was going to be they *knew* that it was going to mean ripping children from parents. It was a feature not a bug. They knew that it would be cruel so it would deter future immigrants from coming here and seeking asylum, which is *legal* immigration. I know that the immigration system is broken, but Trump actively made it worse.

I am not calling someone Hitler because they have a different view than me. I am calling them out because they are literally expressing the same beliefs that Hitler did. Should we stop calling terrorists out as terrorists because we might hurt their feelings because they have a difference of opinion?

Civility doesn't work. I've tried. I get called a cuck and get spammed with pepe memes. This is a war for the soul of the country. And the left trying taking the high road got us this shit stain as a president. My rant was not directed at you or anyone that wants to have an honest conversation. It is for "lol, white people are better" people. There used to be a time where racists were shamed to keep it to themselves. I look forward to getting back to that.

So I guess the short answer for your grandfather wants immigration laws applied equally regardless of race, color, or nationality....then cool! that's what I believe too! But if he wants to stop 'dirty mexicans' from getting in the country, then he can fuck off as well.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I do not hate everyone that believes differently than me. I hate white supremacists. I am calling out people like this and this. This is not a binary choice. It is not either zero tolerance vs. open borders. There are things in the middle. That middle ground is where it has been up until about 6 weeks ago when Trump enacted a zero tolerance policy. They *knew* that the result was going to be they *knew* that it was going to mean ripping children from parents. It was a feature not a bug. They knew that it would be cruel so it would deter future immigrants from coming here and seeking asylum, which is *legal* immigration. I know that the immigration system is broken, but Trump actively made it worse.

I am not calling someone Hitler because they have a different view than me. I am calling them out because they are literally expressing the same beliefs that Hitler did. Should we stop calling terrorists out as terrorists because we might hurt their feelings because they have a difference of opinion?

Civility doesn't work. I've tried. I get called a cuck and get spammed with pepe memes. This is a war for the soul of the country. And the left trying taking the high road got us this shit stain as a president. My rant was not directed at you or anyone that wants to have an honest conversation. It is for "lol, white people are better" people. There used to be a time where racists were shamed to keep it to themselves. I look forward to getting back to that.

So I guess the short answer for your grandfather wants immigration laws applied equally regardless of race, color, or nationality....then cool! that's what I believe too! But if he wants to stop 'dirty mexicans' from getting in the country, then he can fuck off as well.

The issue with this is that when every single thing is racist, nothing is. Nobody cares anymore when they get called a racist. I get called it all the time in discussions when I say I couldn't condone voting for Hillary. Incivility is a bad thing, as you know from people referring to you as a cuck and what not, so why carry it over? Also, for what it's worth, the left gets just as uncivil and dirty as the right...it isn't a party situation. I recall during the Bush years so many vicious things said about him as well. Social media is simply more prevalent now. I don't like the argument that the left "uses the high road." Both parties are full of people who are assholes, and will insult their political opponents for no other reason than they are their political opponents. You aren't a good person because you're a leftist. I'm not a good person because I'm a centrist. A rightie is not a good person because he's a rightie. You're a good person based on how you act. If you hate the behavior of people calling you cuck, don't help that along by acting just like they do.

Until Trump legitimately calls for the murder of all the Mexicans, he isn't Hitler. That rhetoric helps nobody and strengthens his base. "See how much abuse he gets?" Call him out for things he does by name, don't use hyperbole it just isn't conducive to anything other than self-satisfaction.

If you think you can win this "war for the soul of the country" by acting like the people who spend all their days in the gutter, go for it. Personally, I think it's unwise though.

I'm not acknowledging the last sentence of your post because it's below both you, and I.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
The issue with this is that when every single thing is racist, nothing is. Nobody cares anymore when they get called a racist. I get called it all the time in discussions when I say I couldn't condone voting for Hillary. Incivility is a bad thing, as you know from people referring to you as a cuck and what not, so why carry it over? Also, for what it's worth, the left gets just as uncivil and dirty as the right...it isn't a party situation. I recall during the Bush years so many vicious things said about him as well. Social media is simply more prevalent now. I don't like the argument that the left "uses the high road." Both parties are full of people who are assholes, and will insult their political opponents for no other reason than they are their political opponents. You aren't a good person because you're a leftist. I'm not a good person because I'm a centrist. A rightie is not a good person because he's a rightie. You're a good person based on how you act. If you hate the behavior of people calling you cuck, don't help that along by acting just like they do.

Until Trump legitimately calls for the murder of all the Mexicans, he isn't Hitler. That rhetoric helps nobody and strengthens his base. "See how much abuse he gets?" Call him out for things he does by name, don't use hyperbole it just isn't conducive to anything other than self-satisfaction.

If you think you can win this "war for the soul of the country" by acting like the people who spend all their days in the gutter, go for it. Personally, I think it's unwise though.

I'm not acknowledging the last sentence of your post because it's below both you, and I.

Hitler didn't take power one day and start exterminating jews. It was a process. If you look at history, we are going down the same line. The people that are driving us there do not deserve civility. .

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Hitler didn't take power one day and start exterminating jews. It was a process. If you look at history, we are going down the same line. The people that are driving us there do not deserve civility. .

Here is where I bow out of the conversation. I'm sorry, I just can't do the hyperbole thing. No hard feelings, enjoy the rest of your day.

S_O_C_K_S

Truly Feared Pyro
Contributor

Very well said....SLAM DUNK! Can't argue anything you said whether your left or right.

That's like saying because a guy tied his shoes before going out to kill someone I will because I tied my shoes this morning.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Here is where I bow out of the conversation. I'm sorry, I just can't do the hyperbole thing. No hard feelings, enjoy the rest of your day.
I hope you have the very best day in the history of the world there is no better day ever for the rest of time.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I copied this from a Facebook post by Karen Brown.

Have you heard that children were separated from their parents under Obama & Clinton? Then, you need a little Facts vs Myths lesson. Michelle Martin, PhD Cal State Fullerton summed up the most important FACTS:

There is so much misinformation out there about the Trump administration's new "zero tolerance" policy that requires criminal prosecution, which then warrants the separating of parents and children at the border. Before responding to a post defending this policy, please do your research...As a professor at a local Cal State, I research and write about these issues, so here, I'll make it easier for you:

Myth: This is not a new policy and was practiced under Obama and Clinton - FALSE. The policy to separate parents and children is new and was instituted on 4/6/2018. It was the brainchild of John Kelly and Stephen Miller to serve as a deterrent for undocumented immigration, approved by Trump, and adopted by Sessions. Prior administrations detained migrant families, but didn’t have a practice of forcibly separating parents from their children unless the adults were deemed unfit. https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-r...nload?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Myth: This is the only way to deter undocumented immigration - FALSE. Annual trends show that arrests for undocumented entry are at a 46 year low, and undocumented crossings dropped in 2007, with a net loss (more people leaving than arriving). Deportations have increased steadily though (spiking in 1996 and more recently), because several laws that were passed since 1996 have made it legally more difficult to gain legal status for people already here, and thus increased their deportations (I address this later under the myth that it's the Democrats' fault). What we mostly have now are people crossing the border illegally because they've already been hired by a US company, or because they are seeking political asylum. Economic migrants come to this country because our country has kept the demand going. But again, many of these people impacted by Trump's "zero tolerance" policy appear to be political asylum-seekers. https://www.npr.org/2017/12/05/568546381/arrests-for-illegal-border-crossings-hit-46-year-low

Myth: Most of the people coming across the border are just trying to take advantage of our country by taking our jobs - FALSE. Most of the parents who have been impacted by Trump's "zero tolerance" policy have presented themselves as political asylum-seekers at a U.S. port-of-entry, from El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras. Rather than processing their claims, they have been taken into custody on the spot and had their children ripped from their arms. The ACLU alleges that this practice violates the Asylum Act, and the UN asserts that it violates the UN Treaty on the State of Refugees, one of the few treaties the US has ratified. This is an illegal act on the part of the United States government, not to mention morally and ethically reprehensible. https://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/21/us/meatpackers-profits-hinge-on-pool-of-immigrant-labor.html

Myth: We're a country that respects the Rule of Law, and if people break the law, this is what they get - FALSE. We are a country that has an above-ground system of immigration and an underground system. Our government (under both parties) has always been aware that US companies recruit workers in the poorest parts of Mexico for cheap labor, and ICE (and its predecessor INS) has looked the other way because this underground economy benefits our country to the tune of billions of dollars annually. Thus, even though the majority of people crossing the border now are asylum-seekers, those who are economic migrants (migrant workers) likely have been recruited here to do jobs Americans will not do. https://www.upi.com/Top_News/Opinio...f-undocumented-immigrant-labor/2621477498203/

Myth: The children have to be separated from their parents because there parents must be arrested and it would be cruel to put children in jail with their parents - FALSE. First, in the case of economic migrants crossing the border illegally, criminal prosecution has not been the legal norm, and families have been kept together at all cost. Also, crossing the border without documentation is a typically a misdemeanor not requiring arrest, but rather a civil proceeding. Additionally, parents who have been detained have historically been detained with their children in ICE "family residential centers," again, for civil processing. The Trump administration's shift in policy is for political purposes only, not legal ones. See p. 18: https://www.aclu.org/legal-document...s-opposition-defendants-motion-dismiss-doc-56

Myth: We have rampant fraud in our asylum process the proof of which is the significant increase we have in the number of people applying for asylum. FALSE. The increase in asylum seekers is a direct result of the increase in civil conflict and violence across the globe. While some people may believe that we shouldn't allow any refugees into our country because "it's not our problem," neither our current asylum law, nor our ideological foundation as a country support such an isolationist approach. There is very little evidence to support Sessions' claim that abuse of our asylum-seeking policies is rampant. Also, what Sessions failed to mention is that the majority of asylum seekers are from China, not South of the border. Here is a very fair and balanced assessment of his statements: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...essions-claim-about-asylum-system-fraudulent/

Myth: The Democrats caused this, "it's their law." FALSE. Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats caused this, the Trump administration did (although the Republicans could fix this today, and have refused). I believe what this myth refers to is the passage of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, which were both passed under Clinton in 1996. These laws essentially made unauthorized entry into the US a crime (typically a misdemeanor for first-time offenders), but under both Republicans and Democrats, these cases were handled through civil deportation proceedings, not a criminal proceeding, which did not require separation. And again, even in cases where detainment was required, families were always kept together in family residential centers, unless the parents were deemed unfit (as mentioned above). Thus, Trump's assertion that he hates this policy but has no choice but to separate the parents from their children, because the Democrats "gave us this law" is false and nothing more than propaganda designed to compel negotiation on bad policy. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...hildren-parents-mexico-separate-a8401521.html

Myth: The parents and children will be reunited shortly, once the parents' court cases are finalized. FALSE. Criminal court is a vastly different beast than civil court proceedings. Also, the children are being processed as unaccompanied minors ("unaccompanied alien children"), which typically means they are sent into the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), which is part of the Department of Health and Human Services (DHS). Under normal circumstances when a child enters the country without his or her parent, ORR attempts to locate a family member within a few weeks, and the child is then released to a family member, or if a family member cannot be located, the child is placed in a residential center (anywhere in the country), or in some cases, foster care. Prior to Trump's new policy, ORR was operating at 95% capacity, and they simply cannot effectively manage the influx of 2000+ children, some as young as 4 months. Also, keep in mind, these are not unaccompanied minor children, they have parents. There is great legal ambiguity on how and even whether the parents will get their children back because we are in uncharted territory right now. According to the ACLU lawsuit (see below), there is currently no easy vehicle for reuniting parents with their children. Additionally, according to a May 2018 report, numerous cases of verbal, physical and sexual abuse were found to have occurred in these residential centers. https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-obta...-widespread-abuse-child-immigrants-us-custody

Myth: This policy is legal. LIKELY FALSE. The ACLU filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration on 5/6/18, and a recent court ruling denied the government's motion to dismiss the suit. The judge deciding the case stated that the Trump Administration policy is "brutal, offensive, and fails to comport with traditional notions of fair play and decency." The case is moving forward because it was deemed to have legal merit. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...child-separations-at-border-may-proceed-judge

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I stopped reading at "Facebook"
Here are some counter arguments I have encountered.

Have you heard that children were separated from their parents under Obama & Clinton? Then, you need a little Facts vs Myths lesson. Michelle Martin, PhD Cal State Fullerton summed up the most important FACTS:

There is so much misinformation out there about the Trump administration's new "zero tolerance" policy that requires criminal prosecution, which then warrants the separating of parents and children at the border. Before responding to a post defending this policy, please do your research...As a professor at a local Cal State, I research and write about these issues, so here, I'll make it easier for you:

Myth: This is not a new policy and was practiced under Obama and Clinton - FALSE. The policy to separate parents and children is new and was instituted on 4/6/2018. It was the brainchild of John Kelly and Stephen Miller to serve as a deterrent for undocumented immigration, approved by Trump, and adopted by Sessions. Prior administrations detained migrant families, but didn’t have a practice of forcibly separating parents from their children unless the adults were deemed unfit. https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-r...nload?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Myth: This is the only way to deter undocumented immigration - FALSE. Annual trends show that arrests for undocumented entry are at a 46 year low, and undocumented crossings dropped in 2007, with a net loss (more people leaving than arriving). Deportations have increased steadily though (spiking in 1996 and more recently), because several laws that were passed since 1996 have made it legally more difficult to gain legal status for people already here, and thus increased their deportations (I address this later under the myth that it's the Democrats' fault). What we mostly have now are people crossing the border illegally because they've already been hired by a US company, or because they are seeking political asylum. Economic migrants come to this country because our country has kept the demand going. But again, many of these people impacted by Trump's "zero tolerance" policy appear to be political asylum-seekers. https://www.npr.org/2017/12/05/568546381/arrests-for-illegal-border-crossings-hit-46-year-low

Myth: Most of the people coming across the border are just trying to take advantage of our country by taking our jobs - FALSE. Most of the parents who have been impacted by Trump's "zero tolerance" policy have presented themselves as political asylum-seekers at a U.S. port-of-entry, from El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras. Rather than processing their claims, they have been taken into custody on the spot and had their children ripped from their arms. The ACLU alleges that this practice violates the Asylum Act, and the UN asserts that it violates the UN Treaty on the State of Refugees, one of the few treaties the US has ratified. This is an illegal act on the part of the United States government, not to mention morally and ethically reprehensible. https://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/21/us/meatpackers-profits-hinge-on-pool-of-immigrant-labor.html

Myth: We're a country that respects the Rule of Law, and if people break the law, this is what they get - FALSE. We are a country that has an above-ground system of immigration and an underground system. Our government (under both parties) has always been aware that US companies recruit workers in the poorest parts of Mexico for cheap labor, and ICE (and its predecessor INS) has looked the other way because this underground economy benefits our country to the tune of billions of dollars annually. Thus, even though the majority of people crossing the border now are asylum-seekers, those who are economic migrants (migrant workers) likely have been recruited here to do jobs Americans will not do. https://www.upi.com/Top_News/Opinio...f-undocumented-immigrant-labor/2621477498203/

Myth: The children have to be separated from their parents because there parents must be arrested and it would be cruel to put children in jail with their parents - FALSE. First, in the case of economic migrants crossing the border illegally, criminal prosecution has not been the legal norm, and families have been kept together at all cost. Also, crossing the border without documentation is a typically a misdemeanor not requiring arrest, but rather a civil proceeding. Additionally, parents who have been detained have historically been detained with their children in ICE "family residential centers," again, for civil processing. The Trump administration's shift in policy is for political purposes only, not legal ones. See p. 18: https://www.aclu.org/legal-document...s-opposition-defendants-motion-dismiss-doc-56

Myth: We have rampant fraud in our asylum process the proof of which is the significant increase we have in the number of people applying for asylum. FALSE. The increase in asylum seekers is a direct result of the increase in civil conflict and violence across the globe. While some people may believe that we shouldn't allow any refugees into our country because "it's not our problem," neither our current asylum law, nor our ideological foundation as a country support such an isolationist approach. There is very little evidence to support Sessions' claim that abuse of our asylum-seeking policies is rampant. Also, what Sessions failed to mention is that the majority of asylum seekers are from China, not South of the border. Here is a very fair and balanced assessment of his statements: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...essions-claim-about-asylum-system-fraudulent/

Myth: The Democrats caused this, "it's their law." FALSE. Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats caused this, the Trump administration did (although the Republicans could fix this today, and have refused). I believe what this myth refers to is the passage of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, which were both passed under Clinton in 1996. These laws essentially made unauthorized entry into the US a crime (typically a misdemeanor for first-time offenders), but under both Republicans and Democrats, these cases were handled through civil deportation proceedings, not a criminal proceeding, which did not require separation. And again, even in cases where detainment was required, families were always kept together in family residential centers, unless the parents were deemed unfit (as mentioned above). Thus, Trump's assertion that he hates this policy but has no choice but to separate the parents from their children, because the Democrats "gave us this law" is false and nothing more than propaganda designed to compel negotiation on bad policy. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...hildren-parents-mexico-separate-a8401521.html

Myth: The parents and children will be reunited shortly, once the parents' court cases are finalized. FALSE. Criminal court is a vastly different beast than civil court proceedings. Also, the children are being processed as unaccompanied minors ("unaccompanied alien children"), which typically means they are sent into the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), which is part of the Department of Health and Human Services (DHS). Under normal circumstances when a child enters the country without his or her parent, ORR attempts to locate a family member within a few weeks, and the child is then released to a family member, or if a family member cannot be located, the child is placed in a residential center (anywhere in the country), or in some cases, foster care. Prior to Trump's new policy, ORR was operating at 95% capacity, and they simply cannot effectively manage the influx of 2000+ children, some as young as 4 months. Also, keep in mind, these are not unaccompanied minor children, they have parents. There is great legal ambiguity on how and even whether the parents will get their children back because we are in uncharted territory right now. According to the ACLU lawsuit (see below), there is currently no easy vehicle for reuniting parents with their children. Additionally, according to a May 2018 report, numerous cases of verbal, physical and sexual abuse were found to have occurred in these residential centers. https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-obta...-widespread-abuse-child-immigrants-us-custody

Myth: This policy is legal. LIKELY FALSE. The ACLU filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration on 5/6/18, and a recent court ruling denied the government's motion to dismiss the suit. The judge deciding the case stated that the Trump Administration policy is "brutal, offensive, and fails to comport with traditional notions of fair play and decency." The case is moving forward because it was deemed to have legal merit. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...child-separations-at-border-may-proceed-judge