Why are people mad at Trump on Immigration?

Discussion in 'General' started by S_O_C_K_S, Jun 19, 2018.

1. S_O_C_K_S

S_O_C_K_S Spectacularly Lethal Soldier Contributor

Steam:

OK WOW...errrrr TIME OUT...so I disagree that families shouldn't be separated. I would never want to be separated from my family but if I mess up it's on me. I understand that people want to come to the US for a better life but it has to be done the right way. Blaming Trump is dumb because he's enforcing the law that has been around forever..he didn't create it. Your breaking the law by entering the country illegally. It's "your" fault your getting separated from your kids. If I murder someone can I bring my kids to jail with me?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Tyknighter

Tyknighter Totally Ordinary Human

Steam:

I understand your opinion on this topic but you are going to start a shit storm now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Reedgreat

Reedgreat Wicked Nasty Engineer

Steam:

It is a tough line to walk. The cause of family separation is the fact that the people crossing the border are being jailed, due to the no-tolerance policy recently put in place by A.G. Sessions, and obviously the child isn't going to jail with their parents.

To me, if the kids were spending less time away from their parents (i.e. a week instead of 46 days, which is the average time they spend away from what I believe), then it wouldn't be an issue. The solution is to find a way to speed up the court process so people can be processed faster. This could be done by increasing the number of immigration judges, and not jailing the people seeking asylum (there is a difference between asylum seekers and regular illegal immigrants).

4. White Moose

White Moose Totally Ordinary Human

Steam:

funny that many people didnt care when it was under obama administration

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  5. Luke

Luke Trade Moderator Contributor

Steam:

It's not a law, there is no law saying that it should happen. Trump is taking the blame because he's using it to try force negotiations and saying that it's a democratic party/Obama law.

What is actually happening is that A.G. Sessions is interpreting three laws in a combination that results in this policy:
    • Illegally entering the country can result in fines, or prison for a maximum of 6 months, or both
    • Government should release children from immigration detention without unnecessary delay, to (in order of child preference):
      • Parents
      • Other relatives
      • Programmes willing to take them
    If not possible to do this immediately the government should provide somewhere safe that suits childs age, disabilities, etc.​
    • Bill signed by Bush Jr. that said the time limit for some children in the previous bullet point is 72 hours.
    With all of these combined the government has four options:
    1. Release parents that cross with their children
    2. Release and fine parents that cross with their children
    3. Detain parents together with their children, prosecute parents
    4. Prosecute parents, detain children for max 72 hours (in some cases)
    Previous governments have done number 2, or number 1 in some cases. Trumps administration is the first to do number 4. Yes, they're following the law - but they're also being rather unethical by using it as bargaining, in addition the UN has also warned the US that separating families is against some of the UN regulations.

Edit: "The United States announced it is leaving the U.N.’s Human Rights Commission on Tuesday.

The move comes at time when the U.N. Human Rights Commission (a 47-member body with rotating terms) and refugee agency have both condemned the president’s policy of separating children from their parents at the U.S.-Mexican border before they get the chance to apply for refugee status. On Monday, the U.N. rights chief called the Trump administration of splitting migrant families “unconscionable.”"

https://thinkprogress.org/u-s-leaves-the-u-n-human-rights-council-2bf690606819/

Because it didn't happen like this under Obama

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. DaivdBaekr

DaivdBaekr TF2 Admin Contributor

Steam:

there isn't a way of handling the border that doesn't make people mad so i wouldn't use that as a measuring stick for how well something is working out

so long as CBP negligence isn't getting people killed i suppose things could be worse

• Like Like x 1
  7. chuckwagon

chuckwagon TF2 Admin Contributor

Steam:

Illegally crossing the border is a misdemeanor. They are taking children away from parents for a misdemeanor.

Also they are refusing to let people in ports of entry to request asylum.

It’s like if there was a house fire, and police blocked the door, then arrested the parents and took away the kids for jumping out the window.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. Cream Tea

Cream Tea Legendary Skial King Legendary Mapper

Steam:

how about this it's very simple:

don't cross the border illegally

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Dumb Dumb x 4
  9. Cream Tea

Steam:

It's a shame Trump is not our Prime Minister, otherwise we could do that here. Too many "asylum seekers" come in just to steal from the NHS and the benefits (our welfare) system.

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Cream Tea

Steam:

do you want to explain why you disagree with me or is it cuz you don't have any explanation

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  11. Luke

Steam:

We can do that, we just don't because it's dumb. You don't just get given things because you claim to be an asylum seeker, you have to prove your asylum status.

In addition you also don't get covered by the NHS as an adult for the vast majority of things (pretty much everything except giving birth) unless you're working and making NI contributions, or you're actively going through the universal credit system like everyone else.

It makes no sense to not allow asylum, our country was built on and thrives from immigration and immigrants (this is even more true for the US)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Cream Tea

Steam:

@Luke The British Empire (the biggest empire in the world) was built by british people so idk what you mean by that

all you have to do to claim asylum is build a shitty boat get half way across the channel, sink and then get saved by the uk coastguard

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Luke

Steam:

What do you think "British" means?

We're not a single race of people, we have no single origin.
    Invaded by the Romans, Germans, Vikings, Normans.

We're made up of people from every country in the world.
    Even more so if you consider the heroic people from WW1 and WW2.
    Numerous people who came to fight by our side and have stayed by our side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasions_of_the_British_Isles

14. Cream Tea

Steam:

british are people with british ancestry

if i was an african born in japan would i be japanese

15. LiterallyCody

LiterallyCody Face-Melting F2Per

Steam:

He's referring to ethnics, and not people who come over and claim they're British.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Luke

Steam:

Which is very few people, guarantee you are not pure blood British.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_people

17. Cream Tea

Steam:

can you tell me which one of these is japanese
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  18. Luke

Steam:

[​IMG]

• Winning Winning x 1
  19. Cream Tea

Steam:

context or is that just a shitpost

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  20. Luke

Steam:

If you need context then you're not very good at identifying British people.

All of the people in the image are British - we are not a single ethnicity, nor a single race.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice