• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Oni

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
There is a problem to that as well, if the user that mutes the person that is harassing player and still wants to use the mic that person might talk over them and vise versa. And even then I will say this again not everyone is just gonna mute the guy, sad but true.
Even if you mute them, it's still noticeable on the person that was harassed, they'll usually be much more reserve with talking afterwards or they'll just stop talking all together, it's fine saying that "you can just mute them" but the damage has already been done.

Tyknighter

Positively Inhumane Poster
Even if you mute them, it's still noticeable on the person that was harassed, they'll usually be much more reserve with talking afterwards or they'll just stop talking all together, it's fine saying that "you can just mute them" but the damage has already been done.
You are 100% correct and I can see where you are going, however I think it should some what be against the rules.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
We were talking about a guy harassing you in a bar, not in-game.
Oh, right.

Like I said, tell them to fuck off.

In-game it's even easier you just mute them and you won't get bothered by it anymore.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
There is a problem to that as well, if the user that mutes the person that is harassing player and still wants to use the mic that person might talk over them and vise versa. And even then I will say this again not everyone is just gonna mute the guy, sad but true.

The people who you'd want to talk with are usually sensible people who will also mute the prick who keeps talking about shit.

Say somebody is asking something, and some guy keeps spamming over him I'll just mute the guy who's spamming over him so I can actually listen to the guy talking.

Tyknighter

Positively Inhumane Poster
The people who you'd want to talk with are usually sensible people who will also mute the prick who keeps talking about shit.

Say somebody is asking something, and some guy keeps spamming over him I'll just mute the guy who's spamming over him so I can actually listen to the guy talking.
Yes that but it also goes back to my first satament. They will not do it it's sad but true.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Yes that but it also goes back to my first satament. They will not do it it's sad but true.

Correct, not everyone will mute him. But the people who don't mute him are probably not the sort of people you want to talk to anyway.

ULTRAMAXIMUM SALT

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Is this thread about somebody who harassed you and makes you not want to join games because of their toxicity?

I noticed that most people marked as toxic on tf2 games I played were merely players who would just say "rekt" or something similar to prey on the anger of the players they dominated. Most people are like "lol k" while others take it as a direct offense, which is how taunts work as well. I used to be the same way in my teens, being mad and wishing so and so would get banned because they made me angry.

Yeah you can curb toxicity as much as possible, and obviously harassing behavior can be dealt with ("Oh look its steamenameperson again, lets gang up on him and call him an idiot for funsies") however you can't let emotionally vulnerable people play TF2 and expect not to see mocking as harassment.

the beet

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
how did this get to 4 pages

also just deal with them haters, theres no way to stop them except to ignore

Oni

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Simply saying people should "deal with it" is a horrible piece of non-advice. Furthermore it's not beneficial to Skial or its servers.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Simply saying people should "deal with it" is a horrible piece of non-advice. Furthermore it's not beneficial to Skial or its servers.

It's a great piece of advice though, you will have to learn to deal with things you don't like in your life.

иιgнт вℓα∂є

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Interesting, having dealt with my fair share of shit talkers / harassers over the years on Skial servers plus much more in the past with other games, it's not a new thing. You can't and won't stop it happening. policing this would be a nightmare and would become a she said he said thing, unless you can confirm through chat.

I do agree OP that some players ruin the fun for others with their behavior, that should be addressed as grieving, expand the grieving rule to some extent I suggest to cover players who obviously are on Skial servers only to harass, I have a player in mind right now that fits the bill that some admins are aware of.

Reactions: pagno

shoooooooooooooooo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
the competitive environment nurtures aggressive attitudes. i think this is something people should just learn to accept when they join an online match on an m-rated game.

Reactions: Cream Tea

Styles

Scarcely Lethal Noob
that would end in a total ban scenario!

Last edited:

|LABS| Minty Coffee

Scarcely Lethal Noob
There comes a big, BIG problem with trying to suppress what we call "harassment."
Everyone has a different degree of what they consider harassment. How long before it just becomes an authoritarian method of silencing people who so much as say anything the slightest bit wrong in the eyes of the staff (not that they do this, but follow the point), or how long before players are given too much power to call anything that they CHOOSE to be offended at as 'harassment'?

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
I really don't see why would should start worrying about who is being mean to who when people can just ignore and block the people doing it. If you are getting harassed online, you are doing it wrong.

pagno

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I have never cared about anything that people tell me, either provocations or insults. They're the easiest thing to ignore anyway.
The problem occurs once 'harassment' is meant as 'joining the server with the only purpose of ruining your game'. You can't ignore a group of people who try their worst to target exclusively you while pocketing each other, camping and setting traps waiting just for you. These people just want you to quit the server and try to do so by insulting, tryharding and if in the same team by not helping on purpose.