• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
in case it wasn't obvious, this is a discussion thread. the op isn't asking if there's a rule about harassment or not, so stop saying there isn't.

anyway, i think if one can come up with a reliable way to implement an anti harassment rule, that would be cool. though adding new rules isn't that simple as you have to figure out how to implement them in a way that doesn't create the potential for abuse or people slipping through the cracks, among other things. but if you can figure out a reliable way to add such a rule, go ahead and make a suggestion in the appropriate section

This should not be against the rules.

Last edited:

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper

I already mentioned why.

This is not a harassment issue this is a bullying issue and it is up to the user whether they want to continue being bullied or not. If you're getting 'bullied' just type !ignore USER_NAME.

Tyknighter

Positively Inhumane Poster
Ok guys look I get where everyone is going but part of me feels that harassment should be against the rules. Think about it for a sec not everyone is gonna mute the person that is doing it which is sad but true and if someone is being a dick in general then no one wants to here it and a 30 min mute is not enough sometimes. Also there can be sexually harassment and no one wants to be sexually harassed in any giving shape or forum. Another problem us typing !ignore USER_NAME only works for voice chat and not text chat and if that person is harassing more then one person with death threats or sending them creepy messages is not fun and weird. All and all I think harassment should be against the rules.

Last edited:

White Moose

Positively Inhumane Poster
Ok guys look I get where everyone is going but part of me feels that harassment should be against the rules....
ever heard of turning off the screen and walk away?
C2BtvH6UsAAIgnb.jpg

Reactions: Cream Tea

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
ever heard of turning off the screen and walk away?
C2BtvH6UsAAIgnb.jpg

This is, in general, a bad response.

"There's a hacker on this server", have you tried turning off the screen and walking away?
"Someone is spamming!", have you tried turning of the screen and walking away?

There are many things we punish for that would be solved by people turning off their screens and walking away.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
why are you comparing hacking to bulling? they are not the same thing for if they were then it would be called the same thing

Because the outcome is the same:
  • Players may not enjoy being on the server
  • Players may leave the server

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
I've always been a proponent of having "extreme harassment" be a part of our rules, especially because there have been numerous occasions where one or two people would gang up on someone and berate them for well over an hour.

Whether the person being bullied muted them or not, it's still fucking annoying to see someone make every chat message or every voice message "you're fucking worthless" or "kill yourself bitch" or any variant of that.

I have no idea why you would support bullying or harassment other than being a generally horrible human being, but to each their own.

Reactions: Cream Tea

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm against it. There are already tools for people to handle harassers. I main pyro, god knows I get a ton of salty kids crying at me, telling me to kill myself etc. every single time I play. When they get to be annoying, I either !ignore, or mute. I am against moderation for things that a user can handle on their own.

That said, I think if a user is being particularly targeted by one person over and over again, and repeatedly harassed, then probably in a case by case basis moderation should look into that, I don't think it needs to be a rule though.

Also, "toxicity" is a slippery slope to ban for. People get salty when they play any form of video game against one another. I think in extreme cases harassment should probably be actionable, but again, only in extreme cases.

Oni

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I already mentioned why.

This is not a harassment issue this is a bullying issue and it is up to the user whether they want to continue being bullied or not. If you're getting 'bullied' just type !ignore USER_NAME.
If someone called you a nigger at a bar and yelled at you, would you leave the bar or call the owner to kick that guy out?

Oni

they need to learn the world isnt all rainbows and sunshine
also they need grow some thick skin
Think of a gaming store where people come to play TCGs, they don't tell the players to just "grow thick skin" they deal with the problem instead of ignoring it. Having toxic players is not in the best interest of anyone having an open server.

From a business perspective, it simply doesn't make sense to have 1 person scare away 10 potential costumer.

Oni

Because the outcome is the same:

• Players may not enjoy being on the server
    Players may leave the server
This is the issue, you want people to have a good time on the servers. Anything, whether it's hacking, harassment, racism, anything that makes people leave the server is a problem and should be adressed.

Do note that i see harassment and bullying as the same thing. I think what you guys see as harassment is just bullying over a longer time but harassment charges in real life can happen over single incidents.

Oni

I'm against it. There are already tools for people to handle harassers. I main pyro, god knows I get a ton of salty kids crying at me, telling me to kill myself etc. every single time I play. When they get to be annoying, I either !ignore, or mute. I am against moderation for things that a user can handle on their own.

That said, I think if a user is being particularly targeted by one person over and over again, and repeatedly harassed, then probably in a case by case basis moderation should look into that, I don't think it needs to be a rule though.

Also, "toxicity" is a slippery slope to ban for. People get salty when they play any form of video game against one another. I think in extreme cases harassment should probably be actionable, but again, only in extreme cases.
I think initially you shouldn't ban someone for toxicity but instead give them a mute or temp-ban them for 30min, just to let them cool off. We could give them 3strikes in a 3month period and then consider extending their ban.

I'd also like to add that most people don't read the rules and even more people don't know how to mute people on Skial server or even how to mute people in-game and that muting someone in-game also mutes them in chat.