• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Oni

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Should Harassment and/or Toxicity be against the rules?

I see this all the time, especially against kids.

Thoughts?

Sakiko

Contributor
The rules are as is sadly meaning trolls and being a general ass is accepted.

But if they start votes on kids for just speaking make sure to grab a demo we can silence the starters for vote abuse.

Oni

The rules are as is sadly meaning trolls and being a general ass is accepted.

But if they start votes on kids for just speaking make sure to grab a demo we can silence the starters for vote abuse.
What if the rules were changed and prohibited such behavior?

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I've said it before, but I think extreme harassment should be against the rules.

Shit talking should always be allowed, it's part of competitive gaming.

However, the one incidient that always comes to mind is when someone made a report against someone for griefing.
After going on the server and banning the person, their friends went on the forum and found out who reported them.
They then spent a lot of time saying that they wished the reporter's family would die of cancer, threatening and making the player feel generally unwelcome.

If people are constantly going after someone and making their experience on the servers toxic - then it shouldn't be allowed.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
It shouldn't be against the rules because if it is, who defines what harassment is or isn't.

Oni

It shouldn't be against the rules because if it is, who defines what harassment is or isn't.
What about just using the same definition that the law uses?

We could also make our own definition and just use that one, it can be done with enough debate around the subject.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
What about just using the same definition that the law uses?

We could also make our own definition and just use that one, it can be done with enough debate around the subject.

I think if somebody is following you onto every server just to piss you off, then yeah that's harassment.

What you're talking about is a bullying issue not a harassment issue, and the stance on bullying here is you just type !ignore USERNAME_HERE and then it stops.

the beet

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
like ct said just do !ignore and go on with life

but when things get too extreme i can agree with luke's idea

Reactions: Cream Tea

Oni

I think if somebody is following you onto every server just to piss you off, then yeah that's harassment.

What you're talking about is a bullying issue not a harassment issue, and the stance on bullying here is you just type !ignore USERNAME_HERE and then it stops.
like ct said just do !ignore and go on with life

but when things get too extreme i can agree with luke's idea
What about Toxicity? Obviously having a player being incredibly toxic isn't good for the server, it would deter new comers from joining, even with the mute option.

the beet

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
just leave the toxic player alone so they will get bored of insulting you and eventually leave the server

its the most effective way of countering toxic players and pm everyone's doing it right now

Sakiko

Contributor
If it gets a little too extreme then it can be a problem and could be something handled.

But there is no rules sadly and if you want the rules to change then submit a suggestion in the likewise named Suggestion section and get up votes on it.

TF2 has allways been a mid teen to adult rating and most look on bullying and harrasment part of the game and that kids thus should not be playing the game, This is where i think a lot of hate comes from i seen it lots of times a kid talks and people reach for votemenu to attack the "Squeaker".

Record the Vote abuses and we glady issue them with silences.

ozzeh / dave

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
in case it wasn't obvious, this is a discussion thread. the op isn't asking if there's a rule about harassment or not, so stop saying there isn't.

anyway, i think if one can come up with a reliable way to implement an anti harassment rule, that would be cool. though adding new rules isn't that simple as you have to figure out how to implement them in a way that doesn't create the potential for abuse or people slipping through the cracks, among other things. but if you can figure out a reliable way to add such a rule, go ahead and make a suggestion in the appropriate section

Oni

just leave the toxic player alone so they will get bored of insulting you and eventually leave the server

its the most effective way of countering toxic players and pm everyone's doing it right now
What about new players that join the server and the first thing they're met with is(also they don't know how to mute people) :
"[Warrior] Martits : are you fucking mentally ill?"
"[Warrior] Martits : were you beaten when you were young?"
"rackman : IL RAPE YOUR GRANDMOTHER TOO"
"[Warrior] Martits : cyka" (common russian insult)
"원숭이 사업 : shut up comatitis"
"bendyxx123 : GO KILL YOUR SELF"
"Jeffmaki : fuck off 12 yr old BTIM fan"

At somepoint we cross the line from trashtalk to pure toxicity and we haven't even talked about voice chat too.

I think if you added a vague "be nice" to the rules it can cover a large part of issues, ofcourse this would mean that each case should be handled independently from all others but that might be the best way to do it, otherwise you'll end up with a word-filter that doesn't really work.