Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairnessplease

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
The word "nigga" is NOT racist and used lots on the bay area. No one uses the term "nigger". I think the rules need to change in regards to this. I understand a thread was made about this years ago, but I would like to bring up the subject. Lots of people are being banned for using the term "nigga" in a friendly way. According to the definition:

"Nigga is a word which evolved from the derogative term "nigger". Tupac best defined the distinction between the two.

NIGGER- a black man with a slavery chain around his neck.

NIGGA- a black man with a gold chain on his neck."

For example, in game, I say: Yo, my NIGGA Shots Fired, how are you?
Fuck that NIGGA, he got a nest in the attic.
Can a NIGGA lend me a pencil?
Damn my NIGGA, nice find.

This would be allowed, but this WOULD NOT be allowed.
Fuck you NIGGER.
BLACK NIGGER.
People who dumb rate is a NIGGER.
Bottiger is a NIGGER.

See the difference? Now I understand it would be confusing for moderators to determine what is racist and what is not, but that's why people appeal their bans for second opinions. Not many people use these terms so we won't have a plethora about them.

I don't really like to use the word myself, but I absolutely HATE people getting banned for using the word NIGGA in a friendly way. Obviously there is a fine line between using NIGGA and NIGGER.

Peace and love.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
We don't want to spend the energy trying to figure out if people are racist or not.

Bottiger said the same thing.

Heres your official response.

Bottiger

Administrator
I am open to removing the rule if that's what most people want, but from what I can tell, most people don't want that.

And there is no meaningful distinction between "nigga" and "nigger". This isn't some random rule I made up. There were actually players that were being extremely racist, and then they started making random excuses like "nigga" was not racist.

We used to only have 2 rules, and that was no hacking or spamming. Everything else was added because the community felt it was a problem, or someone trying to find a loophole.

Fairnessplease

Yes your right, I guess it's based on what people think what's racist and what is not racist. Some people think Nigga is racist, some people don't. It's just that I find the word "Nigger" to be LOTS more racist based on history and the way it's used, compared to the word "nigga" which is moreover used in a friendly way both in society and in-game the way I and others have seen it..

If it needs to be done I can try adding a poll? But I am not familiar on how to do this.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
I am open to removing the rule if that's what most people want, but from what I can tell, most people don't want that.

And there is no meaningful distinction between "nigga" and "nigger". This isn't some random rule I made up. There were actually players that were being extremely racist, and then they started making random excuses like "nigga" was not racist.

We used to only have 2 rules, and that was no hacking or spamming. Everything else was added because the community felt it was a problem, or someone trying to find a loophole.

What about dealing with racial slurs that same way we deal with discrimination against sexual orientation/gender/etc? Basically this post
Yeah, I would say that's a better solution. In fact, the wording we use for the official rules when allowing the usage of faggot, slut, etc. could also include racial terms as well

Racism and other discrimination towards gender, religion, and sexual orientation.
  • Any form of the word nigger (nigga, nigg etc.) is not allowed even if you are just quoting a rap song or you are black, to prevent racists and kids using the same excuse.
  • Generic insults (faggot, whore, etc.) by themselves do not classify as discrimination.
Obviously, we don't ban when someone says "Hey buddy you're a faggot." If they start digging into the person and being increasingly hostile, that's when we say no and issue a silence. The same could be applied to nigga/nigger, since someone saying "Bye niggas" has the same weight/disrespect as "Bye faggots."

We deal with other types of discrimination on a case-by-case basis, don't really see why racial discrimination should be considered instantly punishable.

What I'm trying to say is, why do we have a zero tolerance policy towards ONLY racial slurs? In every other instance of discriminatory language, be it the word "faggot" or any other example you could think of, we don't usually take action unless the person is being very hostile. Couldn't the same be applied to racism?

White Moose

Positively Inhumane Poster
I think, that the loophole "nigga" is highly exploitable it's just the same as "my brother/sister hacked not me. plz unban me" these excuses hold no water.

Bottiger

Administrator
I can assure you that a lot more people care about racism than you think. Maybe you don't get as many complaints because our current rules keep a lid on it.

Fairnessplease

I understand your point, maybe I'm just in the wrong thinking. I only say what I said because in amongst all the reports I've seen lately, people have used the term "nigga" and not "nigger", moreover this "nigga" has been used in a friendly way but if this is your final say, @Bottiger, then I understand.

I just wanted to see how the community would react to this and see if we can test it out, if it fails for a week or many complaints/confusion, then shut down the thread and keep the rule as it is. It's just the way it's used, that's all.

JunTao

Mildly Menacing Medic
I just wanted to see how the community would react to this and see if we can test it out, if it fails for a week or many complaints/confusion, then shut down the thread and keep the rule as it is. It's just the way it's used, that's all.

This is going to open a big can of crap that people don't want to deal with. If you allow "nigga" then you need to allow "whigga" and "beaner" and other " friendly-used" terms that people in different ethnic groups are prone to hearing. Then the admins have to spend time determining if the term was used in a "friendly" way or not, and base that on other points in the conversation. My vote is to keep the rules as-is and keep the can closed.

Fairnessplease

Whigga is the same as nigga, and beaner is a whole different subject. My concentration is on the word "nigga" used in a friendly way.

Fairnessplease

Just would like to thank everyone for their input, their suggestion, and their criticism. I shall follow up on this thread later in regards to the poll option and see what we can do.

Peace and love.

Reactions: Defibyoulater

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
I want a response from an official admin, no offense. And re-read my thread, they are not the same post, according to the history behind it.

The history of both versions of the word are pretty poor, assuming there is a difference anyway.

I don't think some people understand what exactly @Fairnessplease is proposing. I personally (from what I read) do not think they want to remove the rule regarding insulting other players, but just slightly alter it and only change the part regarding the term "Nigger/Nigga".

For example if there are 2 homosexuals you would probably never see them greeting each other saying "What's up faggot" however you do see African-Americans greeting each other saying "What's up nigga". So if anything only that specific part of the rule should be altered IF the community agrees.

Also some people said that admins would have a hard time distinguishing where there is genuine racism and a harmless phrase however I don't think it would be a problem since it really relies on common sense. If someone said "Fuck you nigga" that is obviously racist but if it's just someone saying "Waddup niggas" then probably no harm was meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.