Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairnessplease

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
The word "nigga" is NOT racist and used lots on the bay area. No one uses the term "nigger". I think the rules need to change in regards to this. I understand a thread was made about this years ago, but I would like to bring up the subject. Lots of people are being banned for using the term "nigga" in a friendly way. According to the definition:

"Nigga is a word which evolved from the derogative term "nigger". Tupac best defined the distinction between the two.

NIGGER- a black man with a slavery chain around his neck.

NIGGA- a black man with a gold chain on his neck."

For example, in game, I say: Yo, my NIGGA Shots Fired, how are you?
Fuck that NIGGA, he got a nest in the attic.
Can a NIGGA lend me a pencil?
Damn my NIGGA, nice find.

This would be allowed, but this WOULD NOT be allowed.
Fuck you NIGGER.
BLACK NIGGER.
People who dumb rate is a NIGGER.
Bottiger is a NIGGER.

See the difference? Now I understand it would be confusing for moderators to determine what is racist and what is not, but that's why people appeal their bans for second opinions. Not many people use these terms so we won't have a plethora about them.

I don't really like to use the word myself, but I absolutely HATE people getting banned for using the word NIGGA in a friendly way. Obviously there is a fine line between using NIGGA and NIGGER.

Peace and love.

Defibyoulater

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm not specifically supporting this suggestion, but an idea does stem from it ...

Perhaps the 'Discrimination Rule' could be edited so that we don't mute and gag for slurs and other speech anymore. Most other servers don't bother enforcing this rule, and if we removed it admins wouldn't have to deal with simple slur reports. Also, it would clear up a lot of problematic reports where someone says something 'racist' over the mic, but no one can prove it because it wasn't recorded.

And as David Said
Skial doesn't benefit from having more people silenced or banned.

Now of course, if it goes beyond slurs and name calling, then yeah things some players say could register a mute (i.e. threats, IRL stuff, actual discrimination). Another note is that although, a major issue we would run into is if someone got muted for saying slurs in the past wants to appeal now, what do we say?

This is idea is hypothetical, and should only be used for feedback.

Last edited:

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Little confused by your suggestion.
Your examples all use the respective "a", or "er" endings, which of these would you allow?
  • Fuck that NIGGER, he got a nest in the attic.
  • Can a NIGGER lend me a pencil?
  • Damn my NIGGER, nice find.
  • Fuck you NIGGA.
  • BLACK NIGGA.
  • People who dumb rate is a NIGGA.
  • Bottiger is a NIGGA.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
+1
Little confused by your suggestion.
Your examples all use the respective "a", or "er" endings, which of these would you allow?

• Fuck that NIGGER, he got a nest in the attic.
    Can a NIGGER lend me a pencil?
    Damn my NIGGER, nice find.
    Fuck you NIGGA.
    BLACK NIGGA.
    People who dumb rate is a NIGGA.
    Bottiger is a NIGGA.
Basically, allow the word "nigga" but keep "nigger" banned.

RMSniper

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
-1. I am just gonna defer to what Zebra said several years ago, because I think it makes a great point:
The point is we have the word banned so people don't find loopholes

for example:
"I didn't mean nigga as racist, i meant it as this wikipedia definition".

We don't want to deal with that. We don't want to deal with all the loopholes, definitions and morons so we banned it completely. I don't see why this is hard to understand.

Fairnessplease

It's kind of impossible to use "nigga" in an offensive way, unless you actually write "BLACK NIGGA".

I'm actually shocked Skial is very sensitive to the word "nigga" when others servers/games don't give a care in the world. I might change my thread later to "remove racial slurs" but for now I'm going to see how this turns out. The word nigga should be allowed.

Sakiko

Contributor

Find this just makes things stupid and a loophole for others, No need to change the rules because a few can't talk without tosing the n word.

Whats next hitler/nazi logos and ss oh and Anti-semetic crap?

Fairnessplease

The Nazi logo/hitler thing I understand because they took action and the history of it, but there is not history on the word "NIGGA". Only the word "NIGGER".

Sakiko

Contributor
It's kind of impossible to use "nigga" in an offensive way, unless you actually write "BLACK NIGGA".

I'm actually shocked Skial is very sensitive to the word "nigga" when others servers/games don't give a care in the world. I might change my thread later to "remove racial slurs" but for now I'm going to see how this turns out. The word nigga should be allowed.

The fact you admited the "Remove racial slurs" prove you agree they are racist so why are we discussing this you confirmed what everyone said a year ago.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
As a white person, one should walk up to a black man and say, "sup nigga." Doubt he will find it "unoffensive."

In the same vain, if you went up to a homosexual man and said "Hello faggot," you're gonna have a bad time in most cases. Difference is, we allow faggot and other similar terms.

This won't get accepted because last time this was brought up between the admins Bottiger basically had this to say

Racism is much less accepted than generic insults in most places I have been to. You don't frequently see people spamming nigger outside of trashy websites.

I don't really want to bother with dealing whether someone "meant" to be racist because you will get idiots that will argue things like, I said niggA not ER so it's not racism.

You can warn people if you want instead of instantly silencing them.

However, my initial stance on this subject was that admins shouldn't just be operating on a black and white scale and dishing out bans/silences as soon as they see the word nigga. For example, if I manage to get to a report and the only "racist" thing someone said was "sup nigga," I'll try to warn him instead of instantly dishing out a silence. It really should be a case by case basis, but that's a minority opinion between the admin staff and does create loopholes and the like.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
The Nazi logo/hitler thing I understand because they took action and the history of it, but there is not history on the word "NIGGA". Only the word "NIGGER".

You understand that the word "nigga" comes from the word "nigger" though right?
It's not different just because you change the last few letters...

If you find this offensive:
  • Get out of this server you nigger
Then you should also find this offensive:
  • Get out of this server you nigga
There's no difference - only a loophole which allows people to be racist.
I have no reason to believe that this is a word people need to say.

If someone says it in a way that doesn't seem offensive - then leave it to the admin to decide.
If the admin wants to silence the person, that's fine - if they want to warn them, that should also be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.