Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairnessplease

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
The word "nigga" is NOT racist and used lots on the bay area. No one uses the term "nigger". I think the rules need to change in regards to this. I understand a thread was made about this years ago, but I would like to bring up the subject. Lots of people are being banned for using the term "nigga" in a friendly way. According to the definition:

"Nigga is a word which evolved from the derogative term "nigger". Tupac best defined the distinction between the two.

NIGGER- a black man with a slavery chain around his neck.

NIGGA- a black man with a gold chain on his neck."

For example, in game, I say: Yo, my NIGGA Shots Fired, how are you?
Fuck that NIGGA, he got a nest in the attic.
Can a NIGGA lend me a pencil?
Damn my NIGGA, nice find.

This would be allowed, but this WOULD NOT be allowed.
Fuck you NIGGER.
BLACK NIGGER.
People who dumb rate is a NIGGER.
Bottiger is a NIGGER.

See the difference? Now I understand it would be confusing for moderators to determine what is racist and what is not, but that's why people appeal their bans for second opinions. Not many people use these terms so we won't have a plethora about them.

I don't really like to use the word myself, but I absolutely HATE people getting banned for using the word NIGGA in a friendly way. Obviously there is a fine line between using NIGGA and NIGGER.

Peace and love.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
I'm honestly surprised an admin +1'd this. As if you guys didn't already have to deal with people trying to sidestep it before; now you want to encourage that by making the rule more vague with added exceptions? That just sounds like more of a pain in the ass to enforce.

I'm just against censorship in general, and in all my time playing on Skial nobody has "been offended" by usage of nigga. People usually just report it because it's against the rules, not because they took offense to the word personally.

Also, I find it funny that people are looking to "official sources from the African American community" to justify the ban on the word nigga, yet nothing of this sort was done when we loosened our approach to dealing with gender/sexual orientation discrimination. For some reason, Internet culture just allows the use of certain derogatory words that would never fly in the real world, and that's the justification we had for allowing people to say faggot and other similar words. But when the word nigga comes up, we just don't allow it even though you can argue that words that attack the LGBT community are on par with words that attack the black community.

I just find that part of the rules hypocritical; I'm not personally a fan of either word, but we're essentially just selectively censoring shit for no reason.

courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
"Nigga" and "Nigger" are the same words, as "shrimp" and "prawn" are the same animal.

Nas is a famous rapper.

Not enforcing this rule would be retarded, and open up all of the loopholes that the admins and mods purposely closed.

If you can't refrain from using the n word, you shouldn't be blaming anyone but yourself

The overwhelming majority of people who say it on the servers aren't black, and we all know what would happen if a white person walked into a black neighbourhood and shouted "nigga" so therefore it is a racial slur

You shouldn't tell people not to pull information from Wikipedia when you pull your information from your ass

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Most of you are bringing un-relevant issues and situation in my thread. Re-read what I said and all I want is the word "nigga" to be allowed and not the word "nigger". You bringing bullshit evidence from NAACP or Wikipedia is super irrelevant and silly. I don't care if rappers use the word Nigger, what does that have to do with my thread?

I am asking for the word "nigga" used in a friendly way. And I am not getting triggered, you are getting triggered using cuss words at me.

So if I use the word "nigga" in a friendly way, it's allowed - if I use the word "nigger" in any way, it's not allowed.
It doesn't make any sense, stop thinking there's a difference between the words - there isn't.
I'm all for allowing both words to be used in a friendly context, but let the admin decide.

If I say "Sup my niggers", or "Sup my niggas" - it should be punishable, but leave it up to the admin.
If I say "Fuck you niggers", or "Fuck you niggas" - it should be punishable without question.
In some respects, this is how some admins already do this.

Fairnessplease

I can't believe you just compared the word "nigga" to "shrimp". Stop going off-topic and derailing this thread, focus on the initial issue on my thread. Thank you.

Sakiko

Contributor
I have never had the need to use the N word at all in my life or any really offensive words.

If you can't talk without being offensive or edgy its YOUR FAULT and your PARENTS that need to be fixed not skial rules or running on the trump racism bandwagon.

The word is the same and i will silence the same.

Reactions: RMSniper

Fairnessplease

So if I use the word "nigga" in a friendly way, it's allowed - if I use the word "nigger" in any way, it's not allowed.
It doesn't make any sense, stop thinking there's a difference between the words - there isn't.
I'm all for allowing both words to be used in a friendly context, but let the admin decide.

If I say "Sup my niggers", or "Sup my niggas" - it should be punishable, but leave it up to the admin.
If I say "Fuck you niggers", or "Fuck you niggas" - it should be punishable without question.
In some respects, this is how some admins already do this.

Hello Luke, if you read my thread a dozen times, I said that the word "nigger" has a strong history behind it but the word "nigga" does not have any history behind it, hence, why it's most commonly used against people in today's society in a friend way. You don't see a person saying "Hey, sup my NIGGER" but instead "Hey, sup my NIGGA" in a friendly way. That's what I'm trying to prove.

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I'm just against censorship in general, and in all my time playing on Skial nobody has "been offended" by usage of nigga. People usually just report it because it's against the rules, not because they took offense to the word personally.

Also, I find it funny that people are looking to "official sources from the African American community" to justify the ban on the word nigga, yet nothing of this sort was done when we loosened our approach to dealing with gender/sexual orientation discrimination. For some reason, Internet culture just allows the use of certain derogatory words that would never fly in the real world, and that's the justification we had for allowing people to say faggot and other similar words. But when the word nigga comes up, we just don't allow it even though you can argue that words that attack the LGBT community are on par with words that attack the black community.

I just find that part of the rules hypocritical; I'm not personally a fan of either word, but we're essentially just selectively censoring shit for no reason.
If that's the case then it's easier for admins to just remove the rule entirely rather than just add one extra exception to worry about. I really don't care if people say the word either, but as a former admin it just seems silly to try and strike a compromise that's harder to enforce rather than go with either extreme that's easier to enforce.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
If you call me a troll one more time, I will be forced to use the report button. I am not trolling. Stop calling me that and going off topic.

You're trolling if you think that the word "nigger" has historical significance and "nigga" does not.
It's just a shortened form of the word, it doesn't prevent it from being used to offend.

Fairnessplease

You're trolling if you think that the word "nigger" has historical significance and "nigga" does not.
It's just a shortened form of the word, it doesn't prevent it from being used to offend.

Then you don't understand the history behind it. Why is it that many people use the term against each other "Hey, sup nigga, how you doing"? Why do people use it? I know why, because it's in a friendly way. Just because you don't see it as friendly does not mean other will see it as friendly.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
If that's the case then it's easier for admins to just remove the rule entirely rather than just add one extra exception to worry about. I really don't care if people say the word either, but as a former admin it just seems silly to try and strike a compromise that's harder to enforce rather than go with either extreme that's easier to enforce.

Yeah, I would say that's a better solution. In fact, the wording we use for the official rules when allowing the usage of faggot, slut, etc. could also include racial terms as well

• Racism and other discrimination towards gender, religion, and sexual orientation.
    • Any form of the word nigger (nigga, nigg etc.) is not allowed even if you are just quoting a rap song or you are black, to prevent racists and kids using the same excuse.
    • Generic insults (faggot, whore, etc.) by themselves do not classify as discrimination.
Obviously, we don't ban when someone says "Hey buddy you're a faggot." If they start digging into the person and being increasingly hostile, that's when we say no and issue a silence. The same could be applied to nigga/nigger, since someone saying "Bye niggas" has the same weight/disrespect as "Bye faggots."

We deal with other types of discrimination on a case-by-case basis, don't really see why racial discrimination should be considered instantly punishable.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I am offended by the use of the "nigger/nigga" just as I am offended by the use of "faggot". I wish we were going the other way and punishing for the use of the latter. But we are not, we follow the rules set forth by the server owner. Rules that have managed to serve use pretty well as we are one of the few communities still left.

I don't necessarily like that the 'nigga' is used in rap songs or even between two black people in a friendly way, but I understand it. The same way homosexual people will call each other 'fags' or such derogatory terms. I get it, when they use it themselves it helps to take away the power of the word when it is used against them. My personal feeling is when the hate that fuels that word is finally gone, the word will go with it. When the day comes that people no longer try to hurt them with that word, then the need to inoculate themselves against it goes away as well. I admit this is all completely and totally my opinion. I do not have such unquestionable sources as Tupac Shakur. I am also saddened to learn that the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is "bullshit".

Some more personal opinion. After the recent US election more and more shit like this is going to start happening as racists have been emboldened by DJ Tiny Hands and his 'alt-right' neo-nazis.

Reactions: 185db

Fairnessplease

You know, I would love an official statement from @Bottiger mainly because I think the person who declined this has no idea what they are doing. We, as people, need to understand that we need to get with the times. The word "Nigga" is not offensive and used commonly lots in todays society. You almost never see anyone call anyone a "nigger" because that's the offensive term. Lots of servers simply don't give a shit about this word, but for some reason Skial cares a lot.

I would like @Bottiger to re-read my thread and make an official statement on this. I was thinking for a month we can allow the word "nigga" in the servers and if it fails or lots of people are having issues with it further, we can revisit the issue but I see no issue. The word Nigga is always used in a friendly way and I trust that our admins can determine whether or not the word is used in a bad way. Really there is no way someone can use the word "Nigga" in a bad way unless someone physically calls someone an "Black Nigga" which is the only thing I can think off.

Finally, if all else fails, which it really should not, I might make "remove racial slurs" thread, but I hope it does not come to that point because the word "nigga" is not bad. I am simply suggesting remove the word "nigga" from the rules list because it's mainly used in a friendly way.

Peace, love, and don't let anyone get in your way.

@Bottiger

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
You know, I would love an official statement from @Bottiger mainly because I think the person who declined this has no idea what they are doing. We, as people, need to understand that we need to get with the times. The word "Nigga" is not offensive and used commonly lots in todays society. You almost never see anyone call anyone a "nigger" because that's the offensive term. Lots of servers simply don't give a shit about this word, but for some reason Skial cares a lot.

I would like @Bottiger to re-read my thread and make an official statement on this. I was thinking for a month we can allow the word "nigga" in the servers and if it fails or lots of people are having issues with it further, we can revisit the issue but I see no issue. The word Nigga is always used in a friendly way and I trust that our admins can determine whether or not the word is used in a bad way. Really there is no way someone can use the word "Nigga" in a bad way unless someone physically calls someone an "Black Nigga" which is the only thing I can think off.

Finally, if all else fails, which it really should not, I might make "remove racial slurs" thread, but I hope it does not come to that point because the word "nigga" is not bad. I am simply suggesting remove the word "nigga" from the rules list because it's mainly used in a friendly way.

Peace, love, and don't let anyone get in your way.

@Bottiger
THEY.
ARE.
BOTH.
THE.
SAME.
WORD.

Status
Not open for further replies.