Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Eh, doesn't bother me enough to stop using it. But thanks, I didn't read that before.

You might as well give out your Credit Card or Bank account information if you're using the developer preview. lol

Edit: You can't disagree with facts that aren't even secured by TLS encryption, if you don't know what TLS is then here. If you don't know what that is, then educate yourself.

Last edited:

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
You might as well give out your Credit Card or Bank account information if you're using the developer preview. lol

Edit: You can't disagree with facts that aren't even secured by TLS encryption, if you don't know what TLS is then here. If you don't know what that is, then educate yourself.
Check out the steam privacy statement, it is no different to the W10 developer one in terms of collecting and using user information.

Reactions: Chance and mohawkg2

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Check out the steam privacy statement, it is no different to the W10 developer one in terms of collecting and using user information.

It's relevant to video games, video games, video games and possibly Facebook if you happen to have an account there like a fucking moron.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
It's relevant to video games, video games, video games and possibly Facebook if you happen to have an account there like a fucking moron.
Yeah cause steam doesn't use an online payment system, they never hold your card/bank details, or any information on you or your habits.
You really do talk rubbish sometimes in your quest to appease the linux god.

Raccoon99

Epic Skial Regular
Reserved my copy for Windows 10 just now. I maybe "old" but i still gotta keep up with the "new" folk and their "whyfudgu" and their new fanghaled "Coletawinuh" tech. Bah! Back in my day we had to sacrifice our thumbs to Jeff Goldblum while watching The Fly and the Lost World: Jurassic Park at the same time just to get a coupon for Windows Vista!

(I'm actually really excited for Windows 10. I have been using 8.1 for nearly a year but goddamnit i had to get classic shell menu and some other stuff for it to work for my liking)

Reactions: TapTap

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Yeah cause steam doesn't use an online payment system, they never hold your card/bank details, or any information on you or your habits.
You really do talk rubbish sometimes in your quest to appease the linux god.

"Valve will not share any personally identifiable information with third parties for marketing purposes without your consent."

I have never received any emails from Valve or a "third party", nor of any advertisements regarding such things. Valve knows to appeal to most users is to actually live up to what they say, unless people riot over things they've been doing for years and not understanding how shared revenue works because they're idiots. There isn't a problem with helping me search for things when they have my permission, but when it's unsolicited and there's no way to turn it off, then I get mad, which is basically Windows 10 in a nutshell. Yes you *can* turn it off, but at the expense of turning off your Internet, pretty much making Windows 10 flat out useless in that case.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
"Valve will not share any personally identifiable information with third parties for marketing purposes without your consent."

I have never received any emails from Valve or a "third party", nor of any advertisements regarding such things. Valve knows to appeal to most users is to actually live up to what they say, unless people riot over things they've been doing for years and not understanding how shared revenue works because they're idiots. There isn't a problem with helping me search for things when they have my permission, but when it's unsolicited and there's no way to turn it off, then I get mad, which is basically Windows 10 in a nutshell. Yes you *can* turn it off, but at the expense of turning off your Internet, pretty much making Windows 10 flat out useless in that case.
Are you Dale Gribble?

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
loophole detected: Valve can share your personally identifiable information without your consent if marketing is not involved.

Meanwhile, in the Win10 Technical Preview Privacy Statement that you yourself linked: (emphasis mine)
We will share your data with your consent, including as necessary to complete any transaction or provide any service you have requested or authorized.

We may share or disclose information about you with other Microsoft controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, and with vendors or agents working on our behalf… In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy requirements and are not allowed to use the information for any other purpose.
fair to say that includes marketing purposes requiring your consent like with Valve.

Microsoft's only exceptions are when it's necessary to:
  1. comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process from competent authorities, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
  2. protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud Microsoft’s customers, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
  3. operate and maintain the security of our products and services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
  4. protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services—however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our products or services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

so while your personal info will not be used for marketing purposes without your consent, it still wouldn't be a good idea to attempt to declare war on Canada, smuggle stolen nuclear materials or attempt to DDoS Skial servers

also from the privacy statement:
Microsoft takes measures designed to prevent the collection of email addresses and passwords, and numeric sequences such as phone numbers and credit card numbers.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
loophole detected: Valve can share your personally identifiable information without your consent if marketing is not involved.

Meanwhile, in the Win10 Technical Preview Privacy Statement that you yourself linked: (emphasis mine)

fair to say that includes marketing purposes requiring your consent like with Valve.

Microsoft's only exceptions are when it's necessary to:

so while your personal info will not be used for marketing purposes without your consent, it still wouldn't be a good idea to attempt to declare war on Canada, smuggle stolen nuclear materials or attempt to DDoS Skial servers

also from the privacy statement:

The consent part meaning you have to
turning off your Internet, pretty much making Windows 10 flat out useless in that case.

When you don't consent, Windows 10 becomes useless, when you do consent, your data is sold. Also, where's the loophole? If you're going to bring up the loophole from Valve, unless you meant the stuff that's not related to marketing?

Valve may release personally identifiable information to comply with court orders or laws that require us to disclose such information. In the event of a reorganization, sale or merger we may transfer personally identifiable information to the relevant third party with the user’s consent if required by law.

Well, the Patriot act did expire, so we don't have to worry about that shit *too* much, but what I mean is that with Valve, you uncheck a box and you don't receive shit that will be sold to you and you can still actually use Steam, unlike Windows 10.

With Windows 10, as I said, you can disable it, but that means also disabling your Internet and making your applications not work at all. Again, making Windows 10 practically useless.

mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The consent part meaning you have to

When you don't consent, Windows 10 becomes useless, when you do consent, your data is sold. Also, where's the loophole? If you're going to bring up the loophole from Valve, unless you meant the stuff that's not related to marketing?

Well, the Patriot act did expire, so we don't have to worry about that shit *too* much, but what I mean is that with Valve, you uncheck a box and you don't receive shit that will be sold to you and you can still actually use Steam, unlike Windows 10.

With Windows 10, as I said, you can disable it, but that means also disabling your Internet and making your applications not work at all. Again, making Windows 10 practically useless.

I don't think you actually read what is in the Windows 10 Technical Preview Privacy Statement.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I could give less than a shit if Windows has info on me, it is a great looking OS and it works just fine.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
I don't think you actually read what is in the Windows 10 Technical Preview Privacy Statement.

I actually saw how it was used and when you opt-out on the data mining of those applications, you pretty much make Windows 10's applications useless.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
No one's forcing you to use Windows 10. Complaining about something you're not going to use makes no sense.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
lol, good luck. Valve failed to convert many to Ubuntu, what makes this guy think he has a chance?
That is the main reason I refuse to even try it, most games aren't even compatible. That and I think it's ugly.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
lol, good luck. Valve failed to convert many to Ubuntu, what makes this guy think he has a chance?

I'm hardly trying to get people to use Ubuntu, I'd prefer it, but I'm not forcing you to.

Microsoft on the other hand is pretty much making in-OS advertising culturally acceptable, which in this day and age, I'd say you idiots deserve it.

No one's forcing you to use Windows 10. Complaining about something you're not going to use makes no sense.

I'm gonna keep complaining until Microsoft either dies on the front end or just dies in general. Right now they still hold the insane amount of market share for computer-based jobs. ( Tangent: Ethics matter a lot when it comes to the OS you use, but I won't go into it for now )

You won't be hearing the end of me until one or the other occurs. Which I'm hoping will happen within the next 5 or 10 years.