Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Can you not understand that you get the whole OS for free if (and only if) you upgrade in the first year. After that one year you still own Windows 10 and can use it, just people who haven't already updated have to buy it. Learn to read, >>

Yes, that's what I was going for, there was a bit of a lack of context, sorry about that. Basically, it's a "you snooze you lose" type of thing. It's still a garbage OS no matter what happens to it, even if it's free.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its garbage. I swear you are so high up on your Linux horse that it's painful to see you type anything in the technology section. Sometimes I think you just say things because you think you know things.

Sheev_Palpatine

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I might upgrade to 10, but not right away. It looks promising, but some software I use is reported to not work at all on 10 (yet). I'll be watching out for that. It's actually really fucking nice to have an entire year to upgrade. But you know once that year is up, people will be bitching about Microsoft not giving them enough time to upgrade for free.

Yes, that's what I was going for, there was a bit of a lack of context, sorry about that. Basically, it's a "you snooze you lose" type of thing. It's still a garbage OS no matter what happens to it, even if it's free.
Linux has its own share of problems. http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Being a previous mac user, and now having used windows 7 for about half a year, I still don't know all the secrets of it. The interface of windows 8 is bad for desktop, but works well on tablets and such. For anyone who knows, is the windows 10 Interface more like the windows 8 or windows 7? If it is like the 7, I may consider doing it. I am clueless when it comes to Microsoft and windows, forgive me if my question sounds stupid.

I have a desktop.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its garbage. I swear you are so high up on your Linux horse that it's painful to see you type anything in the technology section. Sometimes I think you just say things because you think you know things.

It's technically inferior to unix-like OS's. That's a fact that you simply cannot argue. You can argue that Windows is also very convenient to use compared to unix-like OS's too, which it is very true. As I said, DLL hell is much easier to handle than dependency hell, but it's a trade-off where you can get easily phished, viruses, etc.

You simply can't argue that. It's basically a preference, so even though most of you like smelly garbage, it's at least a gigantic trash can everybody knows and is used to at this point for playing video games.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
It's technically inferior to unix-like OS's. That's a fact that you simply cannot argue. You can argue that Windows is also very convenient to use compared to unix-like OS's too, which it is very true. As I said, DLL hell is much easier to handle than dependency hell, but it's a trade-off where you can get easily phished, viruses, etc.

You simply can't argue that. It's basically a preference, so even though most of you like smelly garbage, it's at least a gigantic trash can everybody knows and is used to at this point for playing video games.

Can you give specific reasons why Windows is technically inferior to unix-like OS's. Not saying you are wrong or trying to argue, I am just curious what you feel the facts are to support this statement.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Referenced from here

Advantages of Unix

- Unix is more flexible and can be installed on many different types of machines, including main-frame computers, supercomputers and micro-computers.

- Unix is more stable and does not go down as often as Windows does, therefore requires less administration and maintenance.

- Unix has greater built-in security and permissions features than Windows.

- Unix possesses much greater processing power than Windows.

- Unix is the leader in serving the Web. About 90% of the Internet relies on Unix operating systems running Apache, the world's most widely used Web server.

- Software upgrades from Microsoft often require the user to purchase new or more hardware or prerequisite software. That is not the case with Unix.

This isn't even including Linux or BSD-based OS's. There's more in the link above.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Referenced from here

This isn't even including Linux or BSD-based OS's. There's more in the link above.

1. All of those are great opinions, but I don't see anything to back up those claims as fact.
2. You are linking atnarticle from a Linux website written by a 'Linux Guru'. That is kind of like using an article from the Democratic National Committee website as proof that the Democrats are the better political party in the US. I can find articles saying why Windows is better. Here and here. But that doesn't mean that it is.
3. I guess the point I am making is that, in my opinion there are advantages and disadvantages to all OS's, and which one is best is personal preference that can't be quantified as fact.

Just my $0.02.

Reactions: mohawkg2

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Just got the verification email for windows 10. Wonder why it took so long.

Also, this thread isn't about comparing which OS is better than the other. Linux has its fair share, along with Windows and Mac. If you have nothing useful to say about windows 10, don't bother commenting.

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The Windows 8 OS is better than Win 7. It is just the UI that people don't like, myself included. But the OS itself is an improvement. Less memory leaks, etc. definitely not 'shit'. Using Classic shell to make it look/feel like 7 makes Win 8.1 easily superior to Win 7.
I swear half the people who buy computers care more about the UI then the OS itself. While Windows 8 might be more powerful, I'm not sure it's the favored OS of most humans. At least not for PCs.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
1. All of those are great opinions, but I don't see anything to back up those claims as fact.
2. You are linking atnarticle from a Linux website written by a 'Linux Guru'. That is kind of like using an article from the Democratic National Committee website as proof that the Democrats are the better political party in the US. I can find articles saying why Windows is better. Here and here. But that doesn't mean that it is.
3. I guess the point I am making is that, in my opinion there are advantages and disadvantages to all OS's, and which one is best is personal preference that can't be quantified as fact.

Just my $0.02.

There is obvious bias, but when you realize that Windows was pretty much shoved down people's throats by marketing, you're pretty much just as dumb or ignorant as people with cable boxes are. You can easily see why there's bias in favor of Unix-like OS's for technical reasons and not for the sheer convenience.

"Oh, Windows 10 does this really nasty shit by selling me advertisements, selling my data, making me a product for marketers, flat out making my choices extremely narrow that point almost directly towards Windows with little to no room for expansion of platforms outside of their own fucked up ecosystem almost as much as Apple does to its own customers... but it lets me play video games!"

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Windows 8 isn't popular because people hate the tiled start menu thing (Which I think sucks) and it didn't really offer anything new. Most people don't know you can change that though, and you can't really blame them. People are use to what they know, and Windows 8 isn't something they know. Now they have to navigate a whole new thing and often found themselves lost. I often found the tiled menu confusing and never took the time to learn it and refused to support it at my job.

Windows 10 brings the start menu back. So I think people will like it right off the bat. It bring back what they used to know, and how every other Windows OS worked.

That's just my opinion on it anyway.

mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Windows 8 isn't popular because people hate the tiled start menu thing (Which I think sucks) and it didn't really offer anything new. Most people don't know you can change that though, and you can't really blame them. People are use to what they know, and Windows 8 isn't something they know. Now they have to navigate a whole new thing and often found themselves lost. I often found the tiled menu confusing and never took the time to learn it and refused to support it at my job.

Windows 10 brings the start menu back. So I think people will like it right off the bat. It bring back what they used to know, and how every other Windows OS worked.

That's just my opinion on it anyway.
If you download the Classic Shell program in W8 to bring back the start menu, imo its a pretty good OS, and it looks better than Windows 7. Metro was garbage when it was released, but a lot of people who still don't like W8 just don't know that you can fix it with a program.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
If you download the Classic Shell program in W8 to bring back the start menu, imo its a pretty good OS, and it looks better than Windows 7. Metro was garbage when it was released, but a lot of people who still don't like W8 just don't know that you can fix it with a program.

That's not a fix, that's a hack, big difference between the two, because Microsoft doesn't want you to do it. It's like Adobe products, they don't like it when you pirate their software, but in order for them to remain relevant, they "allow" pirates to use their software without permission, so we have two types of idiots, mainstream enthusiasts and the mainstream general audience.

Regarding the Classic Shell program, that's mostly the mainstream general audience talking, they don't know of alternatives because they don't know about them or bother to do research themselves because of a lack of time or they like being spoon-fed information by Microsoft. Educate them about it and they may or may not agree to the terms. But enthusiasts are dumber for perpetuating ignorance in the form of educating about working around Microsoft instead of alternatives that respect user's intelligence and privacy.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor

Good thing that's no issue for people that are cautious with what they are doing.

I love Windows 10 so far, been using it for a few weeks now. It's clean and just as easy to navigate as 7. Can't wait for the full release!

ozzeh / dave

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
im considering upgrading to windows 10 since it's free, but like @Chel said, i will probably wait a while to allow for bug fixes and improved application compatibility

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
im considering upgrading to windows 10 since it's free, but like @Chel said, i will probably wait a while to allow for bug fixes and improved application compatibility
I've ran into a few bugs but nothing major, and they have all been fixed to my knowledge. Project Spark wouldn't work last update but works now. Older games probably won't work very well/at all though.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Good thing that's no issue for people that are cautious with what they are doing.

I love Windows 10 so far, been using it for a few weeks now. It's clean and just as easy to navigate as 7. Can't wait for the full release!

Are you using it as your primary OS for doing things with?