• If you are not the person that was banned/muted, you are only allowed to post evidence. Trash talk is unnecessary.
Status
Not open for further replies.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Even if has was a hacker, he could have already made an alt steam account an been back on steam by now. If he was hacking, what could he possibly gain by arguing for this long online?
People with no lives. Sociopaths. We've had plenty of people say they weren't hacking when there was indisputable proof and it carried on for pages. In this case, there isn't as hard evidence (I really wish Risen had a demo) so, hence, shitstorm.

edcellwarrior

Unremarkable User
People with no lives. Sociopaths. We've had plenty of people say they weren't hacking when there was indisputable proof and it carried on for pages. In this case, there isn't as hard evidence (I really wish Risen had a demo) so, hence, shitstorm.
Hard evidence? There seems to be none at all, just an admin who thinks he saw a guy hack.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
True, I actually didn't know you could ban ip. It makes little difference, you can download programs that send a proxy ip anyways.
Yes, enjoy trying to play your game on a vpn. You're certainly not going to get one with high enough performance for free.

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Please tell me what you want me to tell reddit. I genuinely don't know what would be acceptable.
Stop messing around.

Here, so bott doesn't have to repeat himself...
I'm going leave your ban permanent unless you reply to every negative comment above 5 points on your Reddit thread, and edit your story text explaining why we made the right choice.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/ry8xb/banned_on_skial_for_speedhacking_wat_do/

Here is why we made the right choice.
  • Lag or packet loss will never make you run faster. If the server doesn't get a packet from you, it will assume you are moving at the same velocity as before. If it ends out that you stopped moving before you reconnected to the server, the server will teleport you backwards. It will never speed you up.
  • Just because you have a low KD doesn't prove you weren't hacking.
    In fact most of the hackers detected beyond a reasonable doubt by SMAC either have very low or high KDs. They probably use hacks because they are tired of sucking.
  • Just because you are arguing so much doesn't make you innocent either. My favorite example. http://www.skial.com/threads/cinic-on-youtube-db-bombz.111/
  • We asked for a donation because ever since F2P, cheaters don't suffer a financial penalty. If you don't like it, donate to a charity in our name.
    We aren't made of money so we aren't going to say no to being paid for the overhead of monitoring you for more cheating.
  • You trying to stir up shit on Reddit. "Then I might just tell them all to go to hell."

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If that is the message he wants delivered, it has been posted on the reddit thread. Anything else?
Cute.
I'm going leave your ban permanent unless you reply to every negative comment above 5 points on your Reddit thread, and edit your story text explaining why we made the right choice. .

edcellwarrior

Unremarkable User
I honestly don't see why he hasn't been unbanned yet. One admin thinks he might have been hacking, so he gets banned? What kind of community is this?

Xel'Naga

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
there is no way you can mistake lag for a speedhack... really guys?
I realize I'm 9 pages late into this thread, but it is very possible that a spotty wifi connection can cause speedhack-like responses server-side. If you're dropping a lot of packets, you'll show up on the server as moving very erratically. If your connection is bad enough, you'll literally jet across the map once the server catches up with your slow connection.

Seriously, this is Wireless Networking 101 stuff here, guys. Anybody who's played FPS games for any length of time knows this. Source Engine is notorious for being particularly vulnerable to lag-related issues like this. Bott mentioned cl_predict 1, however this doesn't always work as it's intended to. It breaks just after nearly every other engine build update, along with a dozen other server-side commands.

Just saying, it's perfectly reasonable for somebody to suggest that a spotty wifi connection can cause movement that would appear to look like a speedhack.

However, this just goes to show the importance of recording a demo. A demo will show us his movements, which you can make reasonable assumptions on his packet loss (if any) on.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I honestly don't see why he hasn't been unbanned yet. One admin thinks he might have been hacking, so he gets banned? What kind of community is this?
Oh? In your community you put up suspected hackers for vote on the forums until at least five other admins reply while the person is still hacking on the server? Then you go to ban them and they're already gone because they got bored. Sounds like a great way to do it.

Chief of Bears

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
This is a community which tries to keep things in order. If someone is hacking are you really going to have him run around all free and wait until he does it again for you to catch him? They want to keep it safe and fun. If he wasn't hacking and wants to prove it, that is what ban appeals are for. The immediate action was to prevent any further incidents. I agree with the actions Risen did.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
I considered giving him the benefit of the doubt but then I took an arrow to the knee saw him show his true colors on reddit

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I realize I'm 9 pages late into this thread, but it is very possible that a spotty wifi connection can cause speedhack-like responses server-side. If you're dropping a lot of packets, you'll show up on the server as moving very erratically. If your connection is bad enough, you'll literally jet across the map once the server catches up with your slow connection.

Seriously, this is Wireless Networking 101 stuff here, guys. Anybody who's played FPS games for any length of time knows this. Source Engine is notorious for being particularly vulnerable to lag-related issues like this. Bott mentioned cl_predict 1, however this doesn't always work as it's intended to. It breaks just after nearly every other engine build update, along with a dozen other server-side commands.

Just saying, it's perfectly reasonable for somebody to suggest that a spotty wifi connection can cause movement that would appear to look like a speedhack.

However, this just goes to show the importance of recording a demo. A demo will show us his movements, which you can make reasonable assumptions on his packet loss (if any) on.
I think the issue was that he wasn't jumping around. Just moving faster. I agree. I think we'll have a private conversation among admins after this is over.

edcellwarrior

Unremarkable User
Banning someone on what an admin thinks might have happened is pretty stupid. It isn't letting a hacker run wild, it's just a brain dead way to handle things.

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I think at this point it's moved from 'you're a hacker explain yourself' to 'and now you want to drag our name through the mud.'

lol, actually, based on previous appeals that i've lurked in if he hadn't gone to reddit and started being a dick over there he probably would have been completely unbanned by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.