Cylosis

Legendary Skial King
Because the only things that get picked on the Custom Maps server are Wacky Races and other detritus.
This server would feature a rotation of popular community maps such as:

cp_stoneyridge
Stoneyridge1.jpg

pl_swiftwater
Pl_swiftwater_frc40002.jpg

cp_croissant
Cp_croissant_redbase.png

And other prominent creations. No cp_orange abominations or concepts clothed in dev textures.
We can construct a proper rotation and discuss which maps to include if this gets any interest.

The purpose of this server would not to cater to quickplay users looking to sink a few hours into never-ending 2fort+, but to provide a stable, no BS*, properly moderated server for people to enjoy the change of pace that community maps can offer.

We'd have to do a bit of advertising on a few other TF2 communities to gain and maintain a moderate player count, but I think if done properly this server would be filled consistently enough to make opening additional Community Maps servers in other locations viable. I've only been able to find these maps on private, ridiculous*, or high-latency servers. Here's the wiki's list of the highlights.

Think of it as our first actual attempt at PR and/or community outreach.
I feel like we can prove we're not just a large collection of Valve-like servers by at least trying to offer something to the non-casual audience. When a new player asks which servers to avoid, we're usually not on the list, but we aren't on the list of good ones, either. I think this is largely due to the fact that you're just not going to get the kind of friendly, skilled, consistent set of regulars for a server that makes TF2 truly enjoyable if that server is on quickplay.

Or maybe I'm just farting out my mouth and this will get us nowhere, but hey, it's better than Terdy's shit.

*see: Quake Sounds, Roll the Dice, VIP, bullshit, ect.

Cylosis

Legendary Skial King
I like how many people wanted to tell Cylosis he's full of shit
I was asking around on my friends list about it to get a small taste of everyone's opinions before I made the thread, and somebody just said I was full of shit. Nothing else.
Forget who it was.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
+1
I would think that ugc players would pub this server because it would have ugc maps like swiftwater that don't get pubbed in most servers.
swiftwater, waste, croissant, gullywash, ashville, etc.
Skial has a bunch of comp regulars. Most of which aren't even forum regs. This could really take off if they got behind it.

You wont get hardly anyone from EU on a central us server, I am closest out of 99% of EU to chicago and I ping at around ~250. NY i get ~100, so is actualy playable.

Maybe we could get a central US one to take off, and that could be justification to start a EU server as well :D

if this server has pomson and red tape banned ill force people to play here
Amen, bro.

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The people on our current custom maps just rally everyone to bring it back to TF2Ware right away should it get on any other custom map.

HeadfulOfSandvich

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
The people on our current custom maps just rally everyone to bring it back to TF2Ware right away should it get on any other custom map.
Who said anything about actually changing the custom maps server? We just need to find one server out of all skial servers with a consistently low amount of people, and change it to this in order to test the idea. personally I feel like a server like this would have more trouble getting into than getting full, since there are so many people who love this sort of stuff.

As a completely separate side-note, I think that for maps like this that attract a slightly more serious of in general better audience, a short weapons ban list for a server like this would make it appeal even more to higher level competetive/UGC players. For instance, a ugc plat player isn't going to want to join a server where the pompson is allowed if he can just join a different server where it is, but with lower quality maps. A combination of a few weapon bans and good continuous feedback on the maps could easily make this server one of the most populated servers skial owns.

Bottiger

Administrator
The custom maps server is almost dead. If the people interested in this cannot take over the server, I do not believe this idea is popular enough.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The custom maps server is almost dead. If the people interested in this cannot take over the server, I do not believe this idea is popular enough.

This thread is more about custom comp maps than just custom maps, at least it has warped into that. A server with "serious" custom maps like this would definitely draw the hardcore/pro player base of TF2. Right now the Custom map server is running plr_whalerace_a4a. No tryhards are going to join whalerace. And as was already pointed out the current custom map server is already known as a fun/screw around server.

The suggestion really ought to be (or at least has become) a server with more UGC maps and should probably include settings like nocrit/nospread and league weapons restrictions like no Pomson, no RTR, etc.

I think that's really what we're getting at here. And I think it would take off.

Little_Lano

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
I agree with Mittens, i don't play the customs map because it's always on stupid maps that immature people want to play. not to mention it appeals to a completely different audience.

Ever since i REALLY started getting into Highlander, i find myself playing lobbies more, or if i want a pub server to learn a new map, REDDIT.
REDDIT has a custom comp map server with no crits, spread and whitelists, which is full majority of the time.
And i see a lot of people from Tf2lobby.com on there.

Saying that, i also see ALOT of comp players playing on Skial servers, i know in EU, SNSD like to play Badwater EU, and other clans such a .CSM and the new [Fags] team play on Skial.

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I'm with Lano hugely on that. I've had to take up going to the Reddit servers as of late for no-crit/no-spread custom/comp maps. I dislike not seeding Skial servers and playing elsewhere, but the amount of fun I have on that server compared with US Twenty-waffle-cancer-spam-critz-One is staggering at this point. Like, it can be literally painful to want to play even a FRACTION of serious game on Skial servers now. But, I don't like the pressure of lobbies, being locked into one class, and having to wait for.

The people who have played Skial for so long deserve GENUINE alternatives - not just Hale/Surf/Idle.

Little_Lano

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Potential Map List

Current UGC map list
pl_waste_v2
pl_badwater
pl_barnblitz_pro_rc2
pl_swiftwater_ugc
koth_lakeside_final
koth_arctic_b2a
koth_pro_viaduct_rc3