Cylosis

Legendary Skial King
Because the only things that get picked on the Custom Maps server are Wacky Races and other detritus.
This server would feature a rotation of popular community maps such as:

cp_stoneyridge
Stoneyridge1.jpg

pl_swiftwater
Pl_swiftwater_frc40002.jpg

cp_croissant
Cp_croissant_redbase.png

And other prominent creations. No cp_orange abominations or concepts clothed in dev textures.
We can construct a proper rotation and discuss which maps to include if this gets any interest.

The purpose of this server would not to cater to quickplay users looking to sink a few hours into never-ending 2fort+, but to provide a stable, no BS*, properly moderated server for people to enjoy the change of pace that community maps can offer.

We'd have to do a bit of advertising on a few other TF2 communities to gain and maintain a moderate player count, but I think if done properly this server would be filled consistently enough to make opening additional Community Maps servers in other locations viable. I've only been able to find these maps on private, ridiculous*, or high-latency servers. Here's the wiki's list of the highlights.

Think of it as our first actual attempt at PR and/or community outreach.
I feel like we can prove we're not just a large collection of Valve-like servers by at least trying to offer something to the non-casual audience. When a new player asks which servers to avoid, we're usually not on the list, but we aren't on the list of good ones, either. I think this is largely due to the fact that you're just not going to get the kind of friendly, skilled, consistent set of regulars for a server that makes TF2 truly enjoyable if that server is on quickplay.

Or maybe I'm just farting out my mouth and this will get us nowhere, but hey, it's better than Terdy's shit.

*see: Quake Sounds, Roll the Dice, VIP, bullshit, ect.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Potential Map List

Current UGC map list
pl_waste_v2
pl_badwater
pl_barnblitz_pro_rc2
pl_swiftwater_ugc
koth_lakeside_final
koth_arctic_b2a
koth_pro_viaduct_rc3
cp_croissant_rc6
cp_steel
cp_process_rc2
ctf_haunt_b1

Previous Seasons
pl_upward
ctf_turbine_pro_b1
cp_granary
cp_gullywash_final
cp_gravelpit
koth_ashville_rc1

It doesn't have to be UGC only maps... the point is just to have good comp maps like the ones in OP.

Little_Lano

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
It doesn't have to be UGC only maps... the point is just to have good comp maps like the ones in OP.

I would have mentioned those too, but i have limitted knowledge of those maps :(
I just thought to give a rough list showing that there wouldnt be any warioware shit or something

But be sure to ad what ever suggestion you think is good to the list?

HeadfulOfSandvich

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
I'ma throw up a vote about this and then we'll be able to really see how popular this Idea is in a numerical sense. I think once bot sees a big number of people supporting this actually counted, we'll see this actually happen.

EDIT: I forgot after like 4 pages that the OP contained a vote. I really should check for things like that *shrugs*.

wasd

Gore-Spattered Heavy
+1

I know a heck of a lot of UGC/Lobby players would appreciate a server like this - it's hard trying to learn a new map via TF2Lobby because you don't have much leeway to experiment with things like building positioning and pushes or to learn the helpful nooks and crannies of maps. Also, with UGC season 9 having a stupidly high number of obscure maps, it would be easier to promote the server. A custom comp maps pub server with no random crits + even spread would pretty high in demand amongst the 7000+ players, 450+ teams that entered into the last UGC HL season.

Also the reddit custom servers (with rotation comp maps alongside normal valve comp maps) often stay alive past midnight BST (because people who play comp tf2 generally don't care about sleep) and you get a much higher player standard on those servers (less hatless quick-fix/phlog/machina crap) and a half-hour/2-round map change keep it alive. What skial can offer above these reddit servers is the much higher server quality that skial is popular for.

(Please make an EU server too if you do go along with this idea)

JonJon

Legendary Skial King
cp_croissant
is more like a UGC Highlander match map

But I'll like to see most created maps that's is popular for today to play on the server :D

+1 Sure go ahead

Ruelel

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
ok for this server to even survive there's things that need to be done.
1. a group specifically for this server that forum regulars and people that you think would play there could join so you could spam events to fill it
2. NO BOTS! nobody wants to play on a server with bots and honestly they'll leave before the next person joins
3. never add koth/pl waste

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
What are the chances that the regs from 3 or 4 servers would be willing to mingle on a custom maps server and play together?

As it is my friends are starting to refuse to play in Turbine because of the pinion ad force. :/

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Oh god no! You mean they have to wait THREE seconds to press continue!? How horrendous.
it certainly didn't start at 3 seconds for me. I even got booted from servers for awhile there for console spam because my push to talk is c.

And it's not like I'm not playing in turbine any longer, my friends aren't, and telling them it's not a big deal doesn't mean anything to them when they already have another community's server in their favorites. This is a problem, even if it is only '3 seconds.' I dont' know what the actual effect is for the servers, but hopefully it isn't terrible.

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
i imagine it's less bad for servers with really long rounds. But the people from turbine that are leaving aren't shitty people. And I have noticed a higher loss of players after really good long rounds. idk, hopefully the negative impact isn't too terrible. No one wants 'their' family of servers to go under because pinion is a dumb piece of shit company.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
i imagine it's less bad for servers with really long rounds. But the people from turbine that are leaving aren't shitty people. And I have noticed a higher loss of players after really good long rounds. idk, hopefully the negative impact isn't too terrible. No one wants 'their' family of servers to go under because pinion is a dumb piece of shit company.
Gurl, the three seconds you and your friends are seeing right now is nothing, the actual required time by pinion is more like 16 seconds, which other communities will be enforcing soon enough. (We're looking for other options)