Cylosis

Legendary Skial King
Because the only things that get picked on the Custom Maps server are Wacky Races and other detritus.
This server would feature a rotation of popular community maps such as:

cp_stoneyridge
Stoneyridge1.jpg

pl_swiftwater
Pl_swiftwater_frc40002.jpg

cp_croissant
Cp_croissant_redbase.png

And other prominent creations. No cp_orange abominations or concepts clothed in dev textures.
We can construct a proper rotation and discuss which maps to include if this gets any interest.

The purpose of this server would not to cater to quickplay users looking to sink a few hours into never-ending 2fort+, but to provide a stable, no BS*, properly moderated server for people to enjoy the change of pace that community maps can offer.

We'd have to do a bit of advertising on a few other TF2 communities to gain and maintain a moderate player count, but I think if done properly this server would be filled consistently enough to make opening additional Community Maps servers in other locations viable. I've only been able to find these maps on private, ridiculous*, or high-latency servers. Here's the wiki's list of the highlights.

Think of it as our first actual attempt at PR and/or community outreach.
I feel like we can prove we're not just a large collection of Valve-like servers by at least trying to offer something to the non-casual audience. When a new player asks which servers to avoid, we're usually not on the list, but we aren't on the list of good ones, either. I think this is largely due to the fact that you're just not going to get the kind of friendly, skilled, consistent set of regulars for a server that makes TF2 truly enjoyable if that server is on quickplay.

Or maybe I'm just farting out my mouth and this will get us nowhere, but hey, it's better than Terdy's shit.

*see: Quake Sounds, Roll the Dice, VIP, bullshit, ect.

Doctor Who

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I like it but I don't think that the Skial community is becoming stagnate after Roman leaving. Go to US21. New regulars there every month or so and they're great.

Reactions: SgtGiraffe

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I was liking your post until the end, doesn't really belong with the rest of the idea.

I like the idea, it just seems more likely that the implementation would be a flop. If you're willing to go though the trouble of getting the word out, seeding the server, and have some friends that would help, I think it could work out. Otherwise it's just a waste of configuration time and server resources.

Cylosis

Legendary Skial King
I like it but I don't think that the Skial community is becoming stagnate after Roman leaving. Go to US21. New regulars there every month or so and they're great.
I feel like we can accomplish so much more than one good server with a few funny guys on the mic.
I'm expressing optimism towards improving the community as a whole, not just on the servers themselves.

Doctor Who

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I feel like we can accomplish so much more than one good server with a few funny guys on the mic.
I'm expressing optimism towards improving the community as a whole, not just on the servers themselves.
I think you're just seeing it as stagnate because you hang out in Teamspeak all the time, where a lot of people that left were always in, so you see the 'community' as stagnating.

[Interrogator]

Australian Skial God
Contributor
would be empty as hell
I don't think it would be empty, my reason behind that is that the custom map stays pretty full and I know that some people go to it to try to use some of the community maps but instead get stuck on balloon races, ice box or any of the other game types when they just wanted to play an actual map

Cylosis

Legendary Skial King
I think you're just seeing it as stagnate because you hang out in Teamspeak all the time, where a lot of people that left were always in, so you see the 'community' as stagnating.
You're probably right, coupled with the fact that the only significant events that have happened here lately were people going apeshit over the MLP subforum.

I've removed that particular editorial from the OP. I still think this is a step forward. I made the thread to see if everyone thinks that step is in the right direction.

ModSe7en

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
It'd be good, but everyone will end up being lazy and not spreading the word, like every other trial server.

Bottiger

Administrator
It hasn't been filling up, especially after the IP change.

If people keep choosing balloon race, then why should they not be allowed to play it?

Reactions: Maddo

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
It hasn't been filling up, especially after the IP change.

If people keep choosing balloon race, then why should they not be allowed to play it?
Nothing, that's why he proposed setting it up as a new server instead of just replacing the current custom server.

[Interrogator]

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The reason why the community maps are usually not picked over the balloon races or other silly game maps is because people see it as a goof off map not to be taken "serious" like a normal play map
I think the people who use the custom server map might even like it is some of those maps were taken off and moved to a server like the one were proposing

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
There are a lot of vets who only play on servers that run custom maps like these because they want to avoid F2P/quickplay. There is definitely a "market" for these serious gamers. I for one would like to see Skial branch out but would not be disappoint either way.

The Dude

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
There are a lot of vets who only play on servers that run custom maps like these because they want to avoid F2P/quickplay. There is definitely a "market" for these serious gamers. I for one would like to see Skial branch out but would not be disappoint either way.
I would think that ugc players would pub this server because it would have ugc maps like swiftwater that don't get pubbed in most servers.