Raccoon99

Epic Skial Regular
This reminds me: I actually gotta finish friggin Black 2 and X.
Also, C'mon give me dat MEGA LUXRAY.

shoooooooooooooooo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
luxray is lame. if they made him part dark (not just in a mega evolution) he'd be really cool. He totally looks like a dark type. He's also really, really slow :C

ampharos master race.

Aphriza

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
luxray is lame. if they made him part dark (not just in a mega evolution) he'd be really cool. He totally looks like a dark type. He's also really, really slow :C

Making Luxray dark type would just make it worse. It would just add a bunch of unnecessary weaknesses to a Pokemon that's already slow and rather frail. The best it would do would be giving it an extra reason to use crunch.

I used a Luxray in Platinum and it was pretty great. Its a fantastic Pokemon to get early game and it will be a good asset all the way through.

Dolan Trump

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I feel I should back up why I want certain typing beyond being untried:

• Ground/Fighting: Rather brilliant STAB combo when combined with Rockslide/Stone Edge.
  • Rock/Ghost: A very good STAB combination. Would work best as a special attacker unless a good Ghost physical move is added. Totally unresisted with either fire, water, fighting, ground or fairy coverage.
  • Fighting/Ghost: Unresisted STABs, Would need to be a special attacker tho, unless, again, good physical Ghost STAB.
  • Bug/Fairy: In particular, I think this would be a good typing for a Mega Vespiquen. It's better defensively, and combined with good defenses and reliable recovery would make her a very good wall. Moonblast or Dazzgleam for STAB would be appreciated.
  • Normal/Ghost: Hard-walls the aforementioned Fighting/Ghost unresisted STAB and is only weak to Dark-type attacks. Its STAB coverage is resisted only by Tyranitar and Bisharp.
  • Fire/Ice: Because face it, it's funny as hell. Unresisted with Ground coverage.
  • Bug/Dragon: Mega Yanmega's typing because reasons. Dragon Pulse for STAB would be appreciated.
  • Steel/Poison: Need a Fairy killer and a good wall? Here ya go. Also has very nice synergy with Ground and Ghost.
Also, I think Psychic types should be immune to confusion, but that's just me.

Aphriza

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Also in Gen 7, for the love of god PLEASE buff ice type. It is objectively the WORST defensive typing (it literally only resists itself) in the entire game it's offensive game isn't too great either. Give it an extra type it is effective against and make it resist the types it is effective against offensively.

Meowrisa

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Also in Gen 7, for the love of god PLEASE buff ice type. It is objectively the WORST defensive typing (it literally only resists itself) in the entire game it's offensive game isn't too great either. Give it an extra type it is effective against and make it resist the types it is effective against offensively.
All the ice pokemon are so pretty, why do they have to be so SHIT!?

One Lunch Man

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Nerf Fairy game freak, inb4 lunaala w/ flying/fairy or something, or solleo (methinks?) w/ fire/fairy :C

And destroy battle spo-- er add mega arceus with +20 in all stats and give it protean. Same difference.

Toxik

Contributor
Shiny Mega Gengar is all I've ever wanted
If anyone picked one up when they were giving out cards for it at Gamestops, I'll give you a scrap for it :dolan:

Dolan Trump

Psychic/Steel for Solgaleo... well, THAT was unexpected, and a little trollish to boot.

Also, Lunala has a 4x weakness to Knock Off... I am a sad panda.

One Lunch Man

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Psychic/Steel for Solgaleo... well, THAT was unexpected, and a little trollish to boot.

Also, Lunala has a 4x weakness to Knock Off... I am a sad panda.

Potential safe switch in to setup and hard counter against Extreme Killer Arceus though

I was surprised about solgaleo's ability, and I think (read: pray) it's like a flash fire/clear body hybrid, or even thick fat/clear body hybrid ability, it's the only reason I can think of for the ability/typing's justification while being the sun pokemon, unless they're trolling us like zekrom/reshiram giving the legendary duo renamed existing abilities (terravolt turboblaze being mold breaker with pretty names)

One ability semi speculated (hoped) about lunaala's ability is it gives immunity to dark, which would cover it pretty thoroughly

Last edited:

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I think it's pretty ironic that the sun legendary is weak to fire and the moon legendary is weak to dark.

Dolan Trump

Potential safe switch in to setup and hard counter against Extreme Killer Arceus though

I was surprised about solgaleo's ability, and I think (read: pray) it's like a flash fire/clear body hybrid, or even thick fat/clear body hybrid ability, it's the only reason I can think of for the ability/typing's justification while being the sun pokemon, unless they're trolling us like zekrom/reshiram giving the legendary duo renamed existing abilities (terravolt turboblaze being mold breaker with pretty names)

One ability semi speculated (hoped) about lunaala's ability is it gives immunity to dark, which would cover it pretty thoroughly

The problem is that Aegislash is likely to come back for another bout in Ubers, given its ability to check Xerneas, and even univested Shadow Sneak could OHKO Lunala, even if the latter could deal substantial damage with Moongeist Beam (assuming it's a ghost move, damn you trollfreak), and will more than likely outspeed Aegislash under normal conditions, meaning that Lunala will get forced out by the shield.

A problem I see with Solgaleo is that its typing and ability means it directly competes with Mega Metagross. The only advantages I can come up with at this point are that it doesn't use up a mega slot and its signature attack could have a neat special effect, or at least be better than Meteor Mash. It's also got more bulk: someone at Smogon realized the Pokemon in the video all have 0 IVs and EVs based on that Gengar, and since we see Solgaleo's HP bar they calculated its base HP to be around 152, which surpasses even Giratina. If that's true, than our Metal Psychic Sun Lion could become one of the best walls in the game. Unless it's balanced with mediocre defense/special defense, 152 HP is patently absurd for a Steel Type, even if they're legendary.

One Lunch Man

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
The problem is that Aegislash is likely to come back for another bout in Ubers, given its ability to check Xerneas, and even univested Shadow Sneak could OHKO Lunala, even if the latter could deal substantial damage with Moongeist Beam (assuming it's a ghost move, damn you trollfreak), and will more than likely outspeed Aegislash under normal conditions, meaning that Lunala will get forced out by the shield.

A problem I see with Solgaleo is that its typing and ability means it directly competes with Mega Metagross. The only advantages I can come up with at this point are that it doesn't use up a mega slot and its signature attack could have a neat special effect, or at least be better than Meteor Mash. It's also got more bulk: someone at Smogon realized the Pokemon in the video all have 0 IVs and EVs based on that Gengar, and since we see Solgaleo's HP bar they calculated its base HP to be around 152, which surpasses even Giratina. If that's true, than our Metal Psychic Sun Lion could become one of the best walls in the game. Unless it's balanced with mediocre defense/special defense, 152 HP is patently absurd for a Steel Type, even if they're legendary.

True, although in that regard, mere speculation, but I would be surprised if aegislash saw less usage in the sun/moon meta due to solgaleo, for the same reasoning he would body lunaala. He's a viable counter, yet running both him and solgaleo would create an easily exploitable fire weakness. If the legends are anything metabreaking like oras/xy, solgeleo and lunaala will need dedicated counters, and while aegislash does this, primal groudon walls him more than he could wall lunaala, and aegislash isn't a mon people typically send to 1-1

Primal Groudon is nearly as high up there in uber usage as xernas. Aegislash doesn't want any of that, assuming it was a full uber battle, as long as you are running both P. Groudon and solgaleo, they would cover each other well, and be able to perform safely on a team

Yet the same applies to Lunaala and yet again primal groudon covering each other. Steel/Psychic physical tanky attacker solgaleo versus dark/ghost lunaala probably special attacker, lunaala should beat it in most 1-1's, and primal groudons bodies most of what would stop lunaala (Aegislash, etc)

tl;dr Primal groudon bodies both lunaala's and solgaleo's most compatible supporting mon's, and yet, if it was solgaleo/p. groudon/x/x/x/x/ versus lunaala/p groudon/x/x/x/x, the 2nd team has an inherant advantage

One Lunch Man

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
The Abilities full descriptions have been announced for both of the legendaries:

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pokemon/solgaleo/
http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pokemon/lunala/

Solgaleo’s Ability is Full Metal Body, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With the Full Metal Body Ability, a Pokémon’s stats will not be lowered by the effects of an opponent’s moves or Ability. Notable: Its signature move is Sunsteel Strike, an attack that charges at an opponent with the force of a meteor, disregarding the target’s Ability.

Lunala’s Ability is Shadow Shield, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With the Shadow Shield Ability, a Pokémon will take less damage from an attack that lands when the Pokémon has full HP. Lunala’s signature Moongeist Beam attack releases an ominous beam of light that disregards the target’s Ability.

Just quoted from the aforementioned links to the us site

short version: Full metal body is a better clear body, immune to sticky web, intimidate, seed flare drops, etc. Shadow shield is multiscale, but it may prevent reduce damage by 75% instead of 50% like multiscale, but I doubt it.

Dolan Trump

I also found out what Shadow Shield does: it halves damage taken while at full health, like Multiscale.

This could actually be potentially useful. What it means is that anything that isn't a Ghost or Dark attack effectively is resisted by a fresh Lunala, and since it'll likely get Moonlight and/or Roost, it could make it surprisingly tanky. If it had some key advantages over the other two Multiscale users (Lugia and Dragonite), namely better offensive presence than Lugia and better speed than Dragonite, it could be quite formidable.

Also I just realized Lunala kinda looks like that Psychic leader in Kalos, Olympia.

Last edited: