Status
Not open for further replies.

ly_dee

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I initially wanted the rule to be removed but it'd make skial a homophobic and sexist community..

The rule is too vague. I've never seen an admin punish someone for insulting a female, for instance. Everytime someone reports a person for sexism/discrimination (which is rare), most admins say "client mute". So why is there a rule in the first place? You should specify exactly what is meant by insults, just like how you specified what racism is by providing examples.

When people type in !rules or go on skial.com to check the server rules they see that insults to gender and sexual orientations are against the rules. Insults means what it means. So if we followed that guideline, any kind of insult would be worth reporting. Then admins would be overwhelmed by the amount of reports from fragile souls that can't handle trash talks.

It's tricky to enforce such a rule due to the degree of the insults, so at least make it clear once and for all so nobody brings this topic up again and makes a debate about it. Players are not familiar with skial's policy on the matter. They don't know what is considered "serious insults". You need to inform them better. Maybe there is a reason why people don't even bother reporting cases of insults because they always end up being declined. It can be frustrating as they think they're doing good by reporting something that is against the rules by definition but then get told that it's not "serious" enough. So maybe having something like

Racism and other insults to gender, religion and sexual orientation. Does not include discussion of why it is against the rules.
  • Any form of the word nigger (nigga, nigg, etc.) is not allowed even if you are just quoting a rap song or you are black, to prevent racists and kids using the same excuse.
  • Generic insults are allowed (faggot, whore, etc.)
  • Insults like "you cock thirsty slut shouldn't play video games and should go clean your house instead then spread your legs afterwards so your bf can reward you for your good work", "don't use your mic you fucking queer, you're spreading aids to all the people in the server because of all the cocks that have entered your nasty asshole. You faggots need to die for the straight people to live in a better place", etc. may result in silences.
would be better.

EDIT: to sum up, either modify by adding at least one bullet point to clarify, because skial is not enforcing the rule whatsoever, or even remove it completely.

Last edited:

Fairnessplease

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
the dumb rating is there to rate your opinions dumb im sorry i have to reveal this to you

I don't care if it's there, no one should be shamed publicly on the internet for "expressing your opinions". People in real life don't get shamed for expressing their opinions, they don't get tagged "dumbe" in real life. I am simply trying to express what I think in this situation.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I don't care if it's there, no one should be shamed publicly on the internet for "expressing your opinions". People in real life don't get shamed for expressing their opinions, they don't get tagged "dumbe" in real life. I am simply trying to express what I think in this situation.
It's not being shamed, if you want a public shaming go into unmod and say pedophilia is a-ok like Tangy did.

Anyone.?
Cheesy-Popcorn-01-510x340.jpg
Let's get roooooit into the neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeews

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
Literally just change the racism, sexism, genderism, eggplantism, etc rule to:

If your actions on the server are extremely toxic towards the other players, you may be banned or silenced

We've already agreed that nobody should give a shit about being insulted. However, being an absolute asshole on the server and making 3/4+ people mute you because you are being toxic should be grounds for a mute.

Telling someone they're a nigger loving faggot should be a mute.
Telling someone that they're a slut should not create any problems, and we shouldn't have a rule that makes "insults" appear like they warrant a report.

Complaint #1: "BUT HOW WILL THE ADMINS KNOW??"

Reading a chat log takes all of two minutes, and I'm pretty sure our admins are competent enough to tell what should warrant a silence and what shouldn't.

Complaint #2: Too much work

I always stood by the idea of having admins that wouldn't mind taking a little extra time in dealing with issues, and we shouldn't be lazy in dealing with problems on the server.

Complaint #3: There's too much gray area

Honestly, not really. As I said in #1, it doesn't take a genius to figure out when someone is crossing the line and being an ass just to be an ass.

Please people, stop the bickering and look towards the light.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I've been told before by several admins that if it's blatantly homophobic or the sort, then a report would do. For example, if I said "(Insert name here) is a dick sucking faggot". The only issue that I see is that if it's in the chat or on the mic, you wouldn't know if it's someone screwing around with a friend or someone who's genuinely insulting sexual orientation. And even if admins read the chat log of a player, I can understand why it would be hard to reach a decision. Unless there's sufficient evidence to warrant a mute or ban if it's bad enough. If it's someone who is spouting a bunch of homophobic stuff or insulting people's sexuality, gender, etc. then yeah, report them. But if it's just someone who's calling someone a faggot or joking around with a couple other friends, then that could be considered a different situation. But then if it was something racist, they would get muted, even if they were joking. And that's the hard decision. Coming to a decision of what's bad enough to warrant punishment and what isn't. Some people think that blatant insult to orientation should be muted while others want any kind of insult to orientation to be punishable. The rule is there for a reason so since it's there, it should be enforced to the full extent. And if people want to modify the rule for there to be exceptions, this is the place to do it. I'm still trying to look at both sides of the coin to decide but suffice it to say, there does need to be some clarification on that specific rule.

Also, sorry for ranting.

StantoMacGuffin

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
You people will never reach a definite conclusion on this topic, you'll just keep arguing in circles and spewing vitriol.

ly_dee

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
You people will never reach a definite conclusion on this topic, you'll just keep arguing in circles and spewing vitriol.
That's because of the ones starting useless arguments.

It's amazing that the majority of the people here didn't get what i meant with this suggestion. Only a few people offered a solution. I thought it was pretty clear...
You should specify exactly what is meant by insults, just like how you specified what racism is by providing examples.
It can be frustrating as they think they're doing good by reporting something that is against the rules by definition but then get told that it's not "serious" enough.
Racism has a bullet point that explains things clearly, the insults part doesn't.
In this suggestion i'm just asking for at least one bullet point to make things clear and to avoid dumb reports from butthurts and feminists mostly.
It's funny how people are turning this whole thing into a debate about sexism and whatnot again. What i ask is pretty simple.

1. Racism has a bullet point for clarification. If you think about it, it doesn't actually need a bullet point but it is there.
    Insult doesn't have a bullet point and i think it needs one just to help dumb people distinguish what may result in a punishment and what isn't going to.
i'm not at all questioning the admins' competence to deal with situations like that. Admins know what to do as they should. I'm gonna repeat myself once again, this is a players' perspective. They need better information even though most of them don't and won't read the rules. Some still do and some still use them to validate their arguments.
Introducing that rule was a mistake. Now it's there and it's not enforced because of the lack of clarification. Instead, players are told to client mute if their feelings are hurt. Players need to see, in black and white, what is or isn't allowed and not rely on what an admin "thinks" is crossing the line and not get told to client mute when in reality there is an actual rule. Again, all the other rules (except those that are more than obvious) have examples. This one doesn't and is too ambiguous.
I'll stand by my point, the rule only needs a bullet point to make everything clearer and would follow the logic of the other rules. A bullet point that distinguishes generic from serious insults just like the lame examples i provided [...] If it takes up too much space on the server rules page then might as well remove all the other bullet points/examples.

In short, do any of you agree that there needs to be an extra bullet point for a clarification of the rule or another wording of the rule? If so, what should it be?
If nobody agrees that there needs to be an extra bullet point under that rule/different wording of the rule then yes (and although i already gave my opinion on it), maddo's suggestion to modify the rule into Racism and other discrimination towards gender or sexual orientation is slightly better than the actual rule.

Finally, at this point i'd like @Bottiger to either say something, decline/approve the suggestion because this is getting ridiculous.

Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
This again is subjective, and as such won't stand up to interrogation.
I think we should let this be the "common sense" rule. I am thinking of a more laxed version of "If you wouldn't say it to your friends/co-workers, you shouldn't say it on the servers".

Biggie

Forum Admin
Contributor
Modified the rule to clarify.

Racism and other discrimination towards gender, religion, and sexual orientation. Does not include discussion of why it is against the rules.
  • Any form of the word nigger (nigga, nigg etc.) is not allowed even if you are just quoting a rap song or you are black, to prevent racists and kids using the same excuse.
  • Generic insults (faggot, whore, etc) by themselves do not classify as discrimination.

Fairnessplease

So now I won't be able to call someone whore, wow how dumb is that? I don't get why people just can mute other people if their soooo sensitive. You should at least get a 30 minute warning if you call someone these names, I don't see the big deal.

Biggie

Forum Admin
Contributor
So now I won't be able to call someone whore, wow how dumb is that? I don't get why people just can mute other people if their soooo sensitive. You should at least get a 30 minute warning if you call someone these names, I don't see the big deal.

Modified the rule to clarify.

Racism and other discrimination towards gender, religion, and sexual orientation. Does not include discussion of why it is against the rules.

• Any form of the word nigger (nigga, nigg etc.) is not allowed even if you are just quoting a rap song or you are black, to prevent racists and kids using the same excuse.
    Generic insults (faggot, whore, etc) by themselves do not classify as discrimination.

Fairnessplease

I understand I didn't not read it carefully. Can you please remove my both posts above so I don't get bombed with dumb posts? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.