Luckyboxes

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Hey, I was playing on the dustbowl US21 server last night as usual but it seemed like the spawn timers were off. Before it was always fast but I had respawns that were 18s long. Has something changed recently, either accidentally or on purpose?

Found it super hard to get anywhere on the map with such a long blue respawn rate.

Thanks.

Turovik

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
The problem with the default respawn timers is that they were designed with 24 players in mind. adding more players DOES fuck with the balance of the gameplay.

Reactions: Luckyboxes

Osprey

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
The problem with the default respawn timers is that they were designed with 24 players in mind. adding more players DOES fuck with the balance of the gameplay.

It might fuck with it but in what direction and by how much? If anything, I think having more players gives Red the advantage by having more available slots for engineers.

edit: We all know that, without class limits, Red going mass engineer breaks the game.

Reactions: Doki

Luckyboxes

Wicked Nasty Engineer
I personally like fast spawn times - waiting around 18s to spawn is boring. Since I've been playing with the new spawn times it doesn't seem any harder to get to DB3 or to win it. I'm really not opposed to tweaking the times around like making blu spawn faster.

But, like I said in an earlier post, if we are going for balance here then it'd make a whole lot more sense to drop the server down to 24 max with the original spawn timers... aka balanced as the designers intended.

Osprey

Contributor
I personally like fast spawn times - waiting around 18s to spawn is boring. Since I've been playing with the new spawn times it doesn't seem any harder to get to DB3 or to win it.

It should be easier to win with the new, longer spawn times.

But, like I said in an earlier post, if we are going for balance here then it'd make a whole lot more sense to drop the server down to 24 max with the original spawn timers... aka balanced as the designers intended.

Nobody wants that.

Turovik

Contributor
More players always favors red, which is why Blu's respawn time should be shorter. More demo spam, more engies, etc etc. More spam in general = more random bullshit deaths.

Osprey

Contributor
More players always favors red, which is why Blu's respawn time should be shorter. More demo spam, more engies, etc etc. More spam in general = more random bullshit deaths.

I agree with that. The problem is that it doesn't look like there can be two different spawn times.

That's why I'm saying that longer is better.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Might not work anymore though, last update was in september. Some users are complaining it's causing crashes, someone else said it was working fine, so who knows :P

Someone also mentioned this could take a server off the quickplay list, I didn't see any evidence to back this claim up though.

Turovik

Contributor

52514906-claping-.gif

Reactions: Osprey

[TC]CreepingDeath

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Well, having set up a default game on my own system and filling it with bots so I have something that could kill me, all my respawns on blu took 2-4 seconds and all my respawns on red took 10-20. That's just clicking "Create Server" in TF2, which doesn't seem to present you any options for changing respawn times.

I'm wondering... If you remove "mp_respawnwavetime" entirely from server.cfg... Does that result in the map going to default or something just taking a dump?

[TC]CreepingDeath

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
OK... From what I'm reading, you don't need to actually have lines in your server.cfg unless you're changing something. So maybe if Bott simply removes the "mp_respawnwavetime" line from US21's server.cfg file it'll go back to the default of 2-4 for blu and 10-20 for red.

Osprey

Contributor
OK... From what I'm reading, you don't need to actually have lines in your server.cfg unless you're changing something. So maybe if Bott simply removes the "mp_respawnwavetime" line from US21's server.cfg file it'll go back to the default of 2-4 for blu and 10-20 for red.

I'll alpha test that :D

Bottiger

Administrator
"mp_respawnwavetime" = "10.0" ( def. "10.0" )
game notify replicated
- Time between respawn waves.

I don't know why this would be changing the respawn times to 20 seconds for both teams.

[TC]CreepingDeath

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
"mp_respawnwavetime" = "10.0" ( def. "10.0" )
game notify replicated
- Time between respawn waves.

I don't know why this would be changing the respawn times to 20 seconds for both teams.
I think the setting is universal for both teams and forces both from the default.

Could we try the server with that line removed from server.cfg to see if it works?