Luckyboxes

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Hey, I was playing on the dustbowl US21 server last night as usual but it seemed like the spawn timers were off. Before it was always fast but I had respawns that were 18s long. Has something changed recently, either accidentally or on purpose?

Found it super hard to get anywhere on the map with such a long blue respawn rate.

Thanks.

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
That is one creepy fucking sig.

Also, am I the only one who noticed the instant respawns on 2fort?

D

DeadHerald

Instant respawns on Dustbowl, especially since it's a 16v16 dustbowl, are rather imbalanced in RED's favor.

Reactions: Turovik

Twine

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
I was on US21 for a good six hours or so yesterday. We got to stage three three times, and none of those times did blu win. On a normal day we see stage three a lot more than that in 6 hours, and blu will win at least a couple times.

There was a lot of complaining about the respawn times, and not a single person said they liked the new respawn times. I think it was Gator (in any case, it was a good player) who said he probably wasn't coming back to the server for a long time because of the spawn time change. I'm talking about someone who hardly dies, but just can't get anywhere on BLU because half of his team is dead at any given point in time.

I found it much more difficult to attack with the default spawn times (the new ones) than it was to attack with instant respawn, and the rest of the server agreed. Someone was saying it should have been longer spawn times for red but still instant spawn for blu. I think instant spawn for both teams is best, but in any case, the blu spawn time needs to be cut.

I know people were saying to put the spawn times to default, but I disagreed then and I disagree now.

pro tip. stop dieing
It doesn't matter whether you can stay alive if the rest of your team is waiting to spawn.

TL;DR : I don't care that you think default is better than instant for blu, because blu was way harder with default spawn times, in a shitty way I've never seen on skial. Not challenging, just frustratingly hard.

Osprey

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
The game is balanced using the standard respawn times. The old respawn times heavily favored Red. With the standard respawn times, if Blu can get up teleporters and play smarter then they should be on even ground with Red--the way it should be. However, if things are as Twine mentioned--in the long-run, not just one night's worth of play--then maybe Bottiger could tweak them a little and have Blu respawn faster than default.

The most important thing is that the server is full. I think any respawn times that keep US21 in the quickmatch list should be on the table.

Osprey

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Yeah, but US21 has always been full. I almost always have to use my reserved spot as donator to get in.

That'll make it easy to tell if the changes are driving people away. From my short experience with the new spawn times, I think that Blu should be shorter but that's not scientific at all.

Doki

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
I'm really surprised that there is this much negative feedback. I had remembered quite a few times on the old forums people were pretty adamant about wanting longer respawn times.

Luckyboxes

Wicked Nasty Engineer
If people are really concerned about game integrity and balance then shouldn't you also back it down to a 24 man server too? That is the way the game was originally balanced to be played with standard spawn timers.

For me, the Skial dustbowl server was always about fun and not competitiveness. Instant respawn 16v16 dustbowl is entertaining mayhem and I love it. I won't be changing servers or anything, but perhaps a poll or something to change it back based on popular demand?

Thanks.