Spy
Soldier
Sniper
Scout

CDAWG

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Heavy, pyro, engi, soldier, sniper, spy, demo, scout, medic

I could say pyro is hard since I main it, but it can honestly wm1 and win. Some elements of pyro take some skill but I will concede it is easy

Twilight

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Wtf heavy is hard, you can get away with a lot of stuff in pubs, but in comp you need game sense. Knowing when to push when to hold, sniff out spy's, be weary of sniper spy demo sentry placement, understand that your gonna be taking a lot of focus, your not gonna be the one dealing the most damage in teamfights but rather cleanup when the demo is done doing his demo thing. and a lot more. Heavy is slow, and big. His tankiness is his biggest strong point, but he his shit on his own, a good scouts soldier demo even pyro can kite him 1 v 1 and win. Just because a heavy is good in pubs mean nothing in 9v9 or 6v6 he can be damn near useless. Even if he is considered easy

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Wtf heavy is hard, you can get away with a lot of stuff in pubs, but in comp you need game sense. Knowing when to push when to hold, sniff out spy's, be weary of sniper spy demo sentry placement, understand that your gonna be taking a lot of focus, your not gonna be the one dealing the most damage in teamfights but rather cleanup when the demo is done doing his demo thing. and a lot more. Heavy is slow, and big. His tankiness is his biggest strong point, but he his shit on his own, a good scouts soldier demo even pyro can kite him 1 v 1 and win. Just because a heavy is good in pubs mean nothing in 9v9 or 6v6 he can be damn near useless. Even if he is considered easy

I'm not sure this is about higher level play, I think he means learning the mechanics of the class for newer players..or so I gauged from the responses of other players. I'd definitely put heavy at the top of the list as far as class mechanics go, they really did take most of the skill out of it when they tightened his spray, and lowered the spinup time.

If we are to assume what can someone who has hardly ever played tf2 pick up and DO WELL (that's the keyword) my list is prob

Engy
Heavy
Pyro
Soldier
Any other order for the other shit.

The reason for engy first should be obvious. I may have put Engi behind heavy and pyro before the mini sentry addition, and the short circuit changes.

People defending heavy saying he requires placement and knowledge, one could make that argument for every last class in the game, heavy perhaps moreso...but as a whole that player could probably be doing much better putting his time into a more rewarding class, such as soldier or demoman. There isn't much difference between a great heavy, and an amazing heavy. The gap from bad to good, and good to great is there, but as far as "top tier" goes there really isn't much a gap between what one might say plat or gold heavies.

I put pyro third simply because I specified "do well" sure it's annoying to everyone when some kid with a gibus and backburner runs at us and burns us, but 90% of the time you will kill him and probably get to a healthpack / put out by team / water before you burn out. I will also say pyro is the same way...bad to good is big, good to great is big, great to amazing isn't really. Game sense is also important, but we aren't discussing game sense so much as the classes kit.

Soldier above the other classes because while the skill ceiling is huge, it's still relatively easy to pick up a rocket launcher your first time and do decent. The other classes require atleast some foresight/are low hp/etc.etc.etc.etc. to learn before you can really do well with them.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Last edited:

ModSe7en

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Pyro/Engie pathetically easy, Soldier/Demo equally easy, Scout, Sniper, Heavy, Spy, Medic

Full retard tier: Short Circuit/Gunslinger used seriously, people who airblast with Backburner, Dr. Enforcicle Spies, people using the Red Tape on koth (read: minisentry hell), Demoknights existing at all, Demos that spray stickies constantly, laggy Spies

Last edited:

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
(To play well)
Hardest ---------------> Easiest
Heavy Engy Pyro Spy Scout Sniper Medic Solly Demo

Mewkin

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
In my opinion,

Sticky-Camp Demoman,
Short Circuit Gunslinger Engineer,
Demoknight,
Medic Only Concerned With One Target,
Ineffective Heavy,
Camp Spy,
W+M1 Pyro,
Ineffective Scout,
Shoot Random Areas Soldier,
Sniper Unconcerned with Headshots,
Battle Medic,
Active Demoman,
Offensive Upkeep Engineer,
Strategic Pyro,
Active Spy,
Effective Heavy,
Effective Uber Medic,
Sniper That Attempts Headshots,
Strategic Shot Soldier,
Vaccinator Medic,
Flexible Effective Scout.

SgtGiraffe

Legendary Skial King
i think all the clases are easy 2 play but they also have a extra level of mastery that you need to be a truly effective spy soldier etc and i wouldnt rank any above the other

CocoaNut Cakery

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Eh. I wouldn't want to make a list, but I say that you underestimate the skill required to play Heavy and Engineer really well. Much like Spy revolves around your enemy's thoughts, Heavy revolves around your ally's thoughts. A good Heavy is actually in charge of a lot more than "Spin minigun, shoot minigun, toss sandvich to Medic." Being a really good Heavy means pushing allies to succeed, often through nothing more than your own actions (especially in pubs).

Engie... Well, sentry gun placement is usually something that's pre-determined, but a really good Engineer can find unusual spots that other Engineers don't consider. They also know when to move their sentry from an ideal spot to a less-than-ideal spot, simply because the latter will actually help their team more than the former.

Personally, I feel that Scout doesn't require a whole lot of skill. I think of it as a very basic class. All the other combat classes benefit from the things you need to learn to play Scout (aim, flanking, unpredictability in movement, etc), but Scout just benefits from those things more.

Besides, are we talking about skill to do well or skill to be top tier? Soldier is near the bottom of the list of one, but near the top in the other. Soldier may be the most forgiving class in the game (moreso than Heavy thanks to snipers and spies), but mastering it is something else entirely.

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Yeah I think every class can be easy given the right circumstances.
You should try making more specific lists such -
For example, a sticky demo would rank much higher on the easy side than a pipe only demo would. You should see what happens when the majority of demos use pipes.. they never get kills.

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I don't know how any class can even be considered easier than engie. Do you know how many first time players sit behind a sentry and obtain an 8:1 kill ratio?

JonasBrothers+OneDirection4EVER!

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Heavy Weapons Guy, Spy, Engineer, Pyro-Demoman-Soldier-Sniper, Scout. I've never played Medic, so I can't say where it should be. I reckon it must be difficult to heal everyone, but I can't stand when I get dominated by one who is just sitting behind a Heavy or a Sniper the whole time.