Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I could be wrong on some of this so take it with a grain of salt, but the overall point is he knows what he's doing. We may not agree with some of the maps being in rotation, but Bottiger is pretty good at telling what the majority of players like/dislike based off various statistics and factors.

To clarify because I'm bad at wording my posts, the 'grain of salt' thing is referring to what he uses for his statistics. Take my assumptions about what he uses with a grain of salt is what I was trying to say because I'm not entirely sure what he uses

Bottiger

Administrator
Yes we use the stats as the main deciding factor whether or not to add a map. It is the best and fairest way and has no biases.

For brand new maps, we will give them a try if they look exceptional, because they obviously wouldn't show up in the stats. But only if they are truly exceptional.

I will get around to seeing if any of those maps are truly popular, then they will be added.

(G-S.N) Chicago Ben

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
stats are bias in themselves
Yes we use the stats as the main deciding factor whether or not to add a map. It is the best and fairest way and has no biases.
For brand new maps, we will give them a try if they look exceptional, because they obviously wouldn't show up in the stats. But only if they are truly exceptional.
I will get around to seeing if any of those maps are truly popular, then they will be added.

has no biases
Has no biased ? Why am I being told that you add maps based off this system then if its not biased? If it's not biased THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE AND THIS SYSTEM NOT AUTOMATED BY NOW! I'm being told you are the one that makes all the decisions on what maps get added and removed on (to my knowledge) all tf2 skial servers spanning several mods and minigames, not the system itself . How can biased not be involved in that in any shape or form ? The fact that your stats base it off popularity is bias in itself anyway since it focuses on just the masses and not the quality/ of a map for the gamemode which I believe is the real goal and thus bias.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_(statistics).

But only if they are truly exceptional.
The poll above has 4/7 players saying only 1-4 of those maps are high quality (4/24!) yet to add new maps they have to being god damn amazing? You act like the maps already in the rotation are God's gift to Saxton Hale. The average standard for maps in your rotation is what??? turrets? skyhigh? toy? What is exceptional to you? Play on that server for 8 hours in a day and tell me which maps you played. It's the same shit everytime. Urban, Military , EP, 2Fort even if you play all maps you can do it within like 25 hours of gameplay. I can't blame players for voting the same shit over and over since I also feel the same way in how I can get stuck voting for the same 3 maps every 30 minutes.

In a way having that few of maps can be a turn off for the experienced players themselves and drop "popularity" and this happens becuase; Gamers often play games for the ability to choice your entertainment. Skial vsh at the moment feels like its denying that at moments. Having such a high standards for new maps just seems to add to the issues within and I think you should just look for great maps and add them and if they don't work out fine......but it's not like people in general like playing new maps or enjoy mixing things up now and then.

To emphasis:
You have about 23-26 vsh maps in your current open rotation. Here is a look at the other vsh servers total public map rotations: GSN 60 maps, DISC FF 175,Degree-Gaming-67-70,blackwonder 72, outpost 48 (zero vsh maps in its selection), intoxic-gaming 112. You don't have to be DISC but you should lower your standards from truly exceptional to great to help this problem from an product/entertainment standpoint. You can't just have 24/7 "Seinfeld" Marathon on TBS. People would get bored.

maps are truly popular
What is popular and to whom? How is it popular if no one has played half these maps ever and have not touched them yet??? oh right no bias but in this system it just HAS to be popular. You can have unpopular/unknown maps and keep them in the rotation....... as long as it is consensual considered a good underrated map WHAT is the problem?

This isn't 24/7 valvewater or something this is VSH it can have a few maps and not be the end of the world. You have an rtv/ nomination system that forces map votes with 6 minutes left in the map that always delivers the popular vote so even if a map is unpopular at times by not being nominated/voted on its not the end of the world. Flip it and ask whats the problem simply is just keeping it on the rotation if its not harming anyone since no on is playing it? Is a server voting for vsh_spotline_reworked then deciding to switch to EP 10 minutes later a bad thing?Why is removing spotline_reworked necessary if its 20 % less popular than minegay but people say it's a better map? Unpopular doesn't = bad. it often means unexplored/unknown. Throw a few of these maps into the rotations and you will hear some positive things about it over time. I'm not asking to add 60 maps but I'm just asking you to consider what the goal is of adding maps in vsh. Popular maps always makes the most sense but quality map stuffing on the side doesn't kill your appetite.

Sorry for aggressively attacking your statement @Bottiger . Just did my research, you are clearly a busy dude and I hate to make it busier but I just think this whole stats-popularity thing is just flawed IMO and should not be the only view point on adding maps. It can have its many uses but you have to ask the whys/whats/hows when it comes to popularity/map ratings in vsh. Just look at the map situation as it is.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
You're an idiot.

Has no biased ? Why am I being told that you add maps based off this system then if its not biased?
The system has no bias because it is a process that is not done by a person, there is no filter on what is collected.
That is not to say there is no bias in the method, Bottiger has bias - he wants the servers to be populated.

If it's not biased THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE AND THIS SYSTEM NOT AUTOMATED BY NOW! I'm being told you are the one that makes all the decisions on what maps get added and removed on (to my knowledge) all tf2 skial servers spanning several mods and minigames, not the system itself . How can biased not be involved in that in any shape or form
Doesn't work like that, it doesn't take into account every single factor and then give a final "Popularity" number.
It gives Bottiger numerous statistics that can probably be sorted and viewed in different ways.
Very often this kind of thing cannot be automated - there has to be some element of knowledge.

Bottiger has years of experience looking over these statistics and deciding what maps to add.
In the past he has been wrong, but he has kept this community running this long because this is not often.
The statistics, in combination with Bottiger's bias helps him decide which maps should be trialed.

The fact that your stats base it off popularity is bias in itself anyway since it focuses on just the masses and not the quality/ of a map for the gamemode which I believe is the real goal and thus bias.
Skial (Bottiger) does not care about the quality of the map, at all... just because a map is good quality does not mean it will be played.
If a map is higher quality, it may be played more - sure, but quality is not the overall factor in the process of adding new maps onto the servers.

The poll above has 4/7 players saying only 1-4 of those maps are high quality (4/24!) yet to add new maps they have to being god damn amazing? You act like the maps already in the rotation are God's gift to Saxton Hale. The average standard for maps in your rotation is what??? turrets? skyhigh? toy? What is exceptional to you? Play on that server for 8 hours in a day and tell me which maps you played. It's the same shit everytime. Urban, Military , EP, 2Fort even if you play all maps you can do it within like 25 hours of gameplay. I can't blame players for voting the same shit over and over since I also feel the same way in how I can get stuck voting for the same 3 maps every 30 minutes.
Again, quality does not reflect how much the maps will actually be played and keep the server populated.
The maps have to be popular in order to be added, there's no point having a map in rotation if it's amazing quality and never picked.

In a way having that few of maps can be a turn off for the experienced players themselves and drop "popularity" and this happens becuase; Gamers often play games for the ability to choice your entertainment. Skial vsh at the moment feels like its denying that at moments. Having such a high standards for new maps just seems to add to the issues within and I think you should just look for great maps and add them and if they don't work out fine......but it's not like people in general like playing new maps or enjoy mixing things up now and then.
If this happens, the statistics and information that Bottiger has would demonstrate this.
It would be very easy for Bottiger to say if we needed new maps or not, since he can see the information about how much maps are played.
It's important that every map on the server is played, no matter the quality of the map.
We have the voting system which allows the majority of players to choose what they want to do.
There's no real better system than allowing them to select what they want to play.

You have about 23-26 vsh maps in your current open rotation. Here is a look at the other vsh servers total public map rotations: GSN 60 maps, DISC FF 175,Degree-Gaming-67-70,blackwonder 72, outpost 48 (zero vsh maps in its selection), intoxic-gaming 112. You don't have to be DISC but you should lower your standards from truly exceptional to great to help this problem from an product/entertainment standpoint. You can't just have 24/7 "Seinfeld" Marathon on TBS. People would get bored.
Again, Bottiger would be able to see this in his statistics, though the number of maps does not increase population.
What is to prevent people on DISC playing the same 23-26 maps? What if they only 23-26 maps that get played and 149 that don't?
There is no increased benefit to having that much choice, it completely overwhelms players.
He also said they have to be exceptional if they're brand new, ie. if a map has no history, if someone has just made it and it's not being used on any servers.
He did not say that every single map has to be exceptional, just that brand new maps should be for him to be willing to try them out.

Bottiger

Administrator
Has no biased ? Why am I being told that you add maps based off this system then if its not biased? If it's not biased THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE AND THIS SYSTEM NOT AUTOMATED BY NOW!

Because adding maps isn't done that often and you still have to manually find the map, download it (sometime you can't download it straight from the link because websites have javascript and you have to download it to your computer and then upload it to a server), extract the zip rar or 7zip, delete the junk files and/or junk directory, bzip the map, copy it to all our saxton and ff servers, and then add it to the ultimate map chooser map list file. None of these tasks decide which maps get added or not. If you want to write the code to do all this for me then I will automate it right now.

The poll above has 4/7 players saying only 1-4 of those maps are high quality (4/24!) yet to add new maps they have to being god damn amazing? You act like the maps already in the rotation are God's gift to Saxton Hale. The average standard for maps in your rotation is what??? turrets? skyhigh? toy? What is exceptional to you? Play on that server for 8 hours in a day and tell me which maps you played. It's the same shit everytime. Urban, Military , EP, 2Fort even if you play all maps you can do it within like 25 hours of gameplay.

We have way more than 7 players on saxton and ff. One of them probably being you really doesn't mean anything.

The maps you are complaining about are the most popular maps seen anywhere, and if you don't like them, that's your own personal bias talking. The people who don't have an issue with this wouldn't bother coming on the forums to vote otherwise and you don't even have an option for 16+ which shows how biased you are about this.

What is popular and to whom? How is it popular if no one has played half these maps ever and have not touched them yet???

They do get played? Maybe you just aren't on enough to see them. If they never get picked, it will show up on the stats.

In a way having that few of maps can be a turn off for the experienced players themselves and drop "popularity" and this happens becuase; Gamers often play games for the ability to choice your entertainment.

You have about 23-26 vsh maps in your current open rotation. Here is a look at the other vsh servers total public map rotations: GSN 60 maps, DISC FF 175,Degree-Gaming-67-70,blackwonder 72, outpost 48 (zero vsh maps in its selection), intoxic-gaming 112.

More is not better. Especially when people get tired of being stuck in a download screen for 10 minutes every map change. We have tried adding as many maps as possible before and people just leave in droves after a map change even though it was voted for. We even just experienced this recently when adding pl_metropolis to the payload server. Not sure how many times I have to prove that our decision making is as good as it gets, given our track record of success.

Do you really think there are 175 quality ff/vsh maps in existence? Or even 60? There are only a few high quality maps that exist and most if not all, are already on our list. I bet they never play half of the maps on their list either. I think we are doing quite well for having practically 0 custom bosses and mods.

(G-S.N) Chicago Ben

This doesn't matter because all maps have an equal chance to be randomly selected during dead hours. Actually, the popular maps have a higher chance of being on the server when the server dies, but that is more than offset by the fact that it was full of players during peak hours.
How are you defining dead hours?I'm more talking about dying-hours than a dead-server losing it's population due to a late/early hour and thus a map can take a hit in its stats was my question. Among other things.

The system has no bias because it is a process that is not done by a person, there is no filter on what is collected.
That is not to say there is no bias in the method, Bottiger has bias - he wants the servers to be populated.

Until I see the how the stats function I still think the way its been described to me is limited in its ability to say what a good map is and even what the actually popular maps are. A system that is limited cannot see the whole picture and thus only paints part of the picture and thus creates an angle which can be said is bias.

Bias - cause to show inclination or prejudice for or against something. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_(statistics) that is a thing with many stats Luke so stop claiming that until you prove it to me.

Doesn't work like that, it doesn't take into account every single factor and then give a final "Popularity" number.
It gives Bottiger numerous statistics that can probably be sorted and viewed in different ways.
Very often this kind of thing cannot be automated - there has to be some element of knowledge.

Just stop using the word bias here is what I'm preaching. Bias isn't bad but just don't claim it's not there.
I get the automated thing isn't 100 % serious, obviously this isn't the 22nd century I just said that because of the claim of no bias. Humans have to pick the maps at the end of the day no matter the system you guys have (for now lol).

Bottiger has years of experience looking over these statistics and deciding what maps to add.
In the past he has been wrong, but he has kept this community running this long because this is not often.
The statistics, in combination with Bottiger's bias helps him decide which maps should be trialed.

Whats to say hes not wrong now? Obviously he has had do somethings right to this point, but I'm skeptical of how much he has played vsh (at least recently) to be making final calls on which maps are to be added/removed. Obviously he has a history of posting in vsh forums but that's not actually being in the trenches playing with the players and seeing what they see. Has he even seen soldiers timing out with Full HP kits? Broken spots on certain maps? The frustration in the server about certain maps? The lack of maps?
IDK about his secondary accounts if he uses any but he hasn't played vsh on his main account in 4 years yet he is making all the shots for vsh. Tell me how much he has played luke.

Skial (Bottiger) does not care about the quality of the map, at all... just because a map is good quality does not mean it will be played.
If a map is higher quality, it may be played more - sure, but quality is not the overall factor in the process of adding new maps onto the servers.
I get that. Maps like Military Area and Weapons are here to stay and I am fine with that. But to ignore simply adding good maps in the world just because a bit more people like to play a few maps just creates a cycle of playing the same decent maps over and over like you see right now which is not sustainable. Do you even see that right now? Its not like a lot of the maps you have right now or excellent quality or even popular. You show me those stats and I can break down map gameplay and balance and I wouldn't be surprised if 6/24 maps I can slam as sub par maps and have low popularity. You think people LIKE MINEGAY?PRUVIA?TOWERS?

I can list variables that your stats don't consider in server popularity:
Time of day
day of the week
interests in-game
holidays
East coast to west coast population etc. All things you should consider in a system just using population as its guide which you don't use I believe.

Again, quality does not reflect how much the maps will actually be played and keep the server populated.
The maps have to be popular in order to be added, there's no point having a map in rotation if it's amazing quality and never picked.
If its a good map what is the problem? If its got a 95 % approval rating what is the issue with having it on the server? What if the stats show it doesn't drop of in server pop. when it's played but it isn't played much? It sounds like maps deemed underrated are removed in this system which sounds stupid. How is something popular if its unknown and new? Rust_remake_v2 is a great map but like 1 % of skial vsh has heard of it so it can't get on your rotation because of that??? How do you declare a new map popular? @Luke That's stupid if the case is like that because popularity is flawed and often based of familiarity and familiar maps are old maps like Weapons and Military. It should not be used as your only guideline.

If this happens, the statistics and information that Bottiger has would demonstrate this.
It would be very easy for Bottiger to say if we needed new maps or not, since he can see the information about how much maps are played.
It's important that every map on the server is played, no matter the quality of the map.
We have the voting system which allows the majority of players to choose what they want to do.
There's no real better system than allowing them to select what they want to play.

-Mistakes have been made. A guy that I believe doesn't play vsh,whos main account has played like 10? hours of tf2 in 4 years on his main and 0 for vsh? And somehow this guy has not said anything about some of its needs for the vsh map rotation? Add that the community is bunched together with 4 other communities in its stats/rankings? Who would have thunk he didn't say anything about the maps? It would be easy to say that luke I wonder why this hasn't been an issue before since he is in charge of all map additions while not playing vsh in years? Its almost like he doesn't notice because he doesn't play.
If I'm wrong about this slander me if not this is a question that should be asked.

https://stats.skial.com/#server/tfcustom -How do I tell each community apart in stats anyway? Why are all hours combined for 5 communities ?

-The lack of maps denies choice Luke. What do you want personally Luke? 24 maps or be D-G and have 70?Don't just say 24 because of your ties here. The choice is not much of one at all.

I have asked like 10 random people today on the vsh skial server about the map rotation and they all say it sucks/same overplayed maps. Maybe you should pull some more data from player opinions about all this since at the end of the day the player= population.

Again, Bottiger would be able to see this in his statistics, though the number of maps does not increase population.
What is to prevent people on DISC playing the same 23-26 maps? What if they only 23-26 maps that get played and 149 that don't?
There is no increased benefit to having that much choice, it completely overwhelms players.
He also said they have to be exceptional if they're brand new, ie. if a map has no history, if someone has just made it and it's not being used on any servers.
He did not say that every single map has to be exceptional, just that brand new maps should be for him to be willing to try them out.

- Military Area 24/7 then Luke since the number of maps doesn't matter. Its called happiness Luke..... Why have 1 when you can have 5 why have 10 when you can have 40 cool maps? What is wrong with desiring that? Why does increasing population have to be your only goal? I just wish to showcase good vsh maps that will give players more variety and options?

-
DISC can totally play on only 23 maps and that is their choice .Skial doesn't get that choice.

-Anything overwhelms someone who just started playing TF2 or vsh so whats the difference if they see 45 maps compared to 24? So what if they see 3 more pages of maps? All they just know are the maps they played on. Are you telling me it overwhelms you or regulars as well???? You talk about choice but then you backtrack and say more than 26 maps which too much choice ?

-Perfect sense I agree, but when I posted that he just said new and new could mean new to skial but the maps been around the block, or a butt naked new map straight from gamebanana.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I'm all for communicating with regulars but I think arguing with Chicago is pointless

Even if we could make him realize why he's wrong it wouldn't accomplish anything of any worthwhile value

(G-S.N) Chicago Ben

More is not better. Especially when people get tired of being stuck in a download screen for 10 minutes every map change. We have tried adding as many maps as possible before and people just leave in droves after a map change even though it was voted for. We even just experienced this recently when adding pl_metropolis to the payload server. //////////Not sure how many times I have to prove that our decision making is as good as it gets, given our track record of success.

Do you really think there are 175 quality ff/vsh maps in existence? Or even 60? There are only a few high quality maps that exist and most if not all, are already on our list. I bet they never play half of the maps on their list either. I think we are doing quite well for having practically 0 custom bosses and mods.

stuck in a download screen for 10 minutes every map change- I have 80 non clone maps for vsh I have in my download-maps folder that is a total of 1.4 GB = 1433.6 MB / 80 = 18.05 MB per map. Are you telling me the average player downloads at 1.8 MB PER MINUTE? 30.6 KB per second? I got those speeds in 1992
not 2017.
You act like most vsh maps are 100 mb super islands not small basic and simple maps like most are. 10 new maps is like 150 MB while we have toaster computers that can hold 700 times that.

experienced this recently when adding pl_metropolis to the payload server. Payload server is not vsh. Different community, different players, different wants, different needs. Pointless example.

Not sure how many times I have to prove that our decision making is as good as it gets, given our track record of success.- You suck your own dick when the job is done. The minute you start thinking like that while the gig is still going is a spell for trouble. Failing back on your track record isn't a reason why I'm wrong or why you're right.

175 quality ff/vsh maps in existence?- Do you think there is only 26 quality vsh maps in existence? I mean if we are talking in a vein of good to great maps then I know there is more than 26. How would you know what a quality map is if you don't play? Tell me what are good maps bot.
175 is obviously the extreme we both know this. I don't preach 175 maps I preach 35-45-50 maps for skial.

Go on a vsh server and ask the people what they think Bot about this stuff since you call most shots in vsh.

(G-S.N) Chicago Ben

I'm all for communicating with regulars but I think arguing with Chicago is pointless

Even if we could make him realize why he's wrong it wouldn't accomplish anything of any worthwhile value
Ignorance is bliss meow. I can see how you kept your job.

What is wrong with arguing why a guy that doesn't play vsh picks maps for vsh?

Why 26 maps is small for vsh?

Why you admins don't ask questions for the sake of the players

And a shit ton of other stuff in this thread.

Last edited:

Silver Ag

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
i don't know much about the maps you mention but i think the way you're trying to get them approved isn't going to work. Go get some regulars from vsh to support this because so far it's only you that's arguing for more diversity in maps. Both side of the argument has perks and also flaws. Adding new maps may cause players to be overwhelm and can cause players to leave because they don't like the new map. While keeping the same amount of maps is a safer choice to keeping the server populated but it may limit the server from getting new players that new maps may bring. Since this suggestion doesn't seem to have a lot of support right now, there's a smaller probability of new maps having a positive effect on the server and the fact that the server does well enough already, this is a risk not worth taking in its current state.

(G-S.N) Chicago Ben

i don't know much about the maps you mention but i think the way you're trying to get them approved isn't going to work. Go get some regulars from vsh to support this because so far it's only you that's arguing for more diversity in maps. Both side of the argument has perks and also flaws. Adding new maps may cause players to be overwhelm and can cause players to leave because they don't like the new map. While keeping the same amount of maps is a safer choice to keeping the server populated but it may limit the server from getting new players that new maps may bring. Since this suggestion doesn't seem to have a lot of support right now, there's a smaller probability of new maps having a positive effect on the server and the fact that the server does well enough already, this is a risk not worth taking in its current state.
TBH this 2nd half of the thread is its own discussion and should honestly be treated as such. The first page is the map stuff and the 2nd and 3rd pages are debates on other things out of topic.

The 4 maps are really good I'm pretty sure you played em all Silver so you know that. Idk how you can ignore em just from my debates.

Silver Ag

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
third page? The new maps can be good and all but it doesn't mean everyone will welcome new stuff you know. Which is why you need to get more players to support the suggestion so the head honcho can see players actually want the change or not.

White Moose

Positively Inhumane Poster
It's like talking to a brick wall. When cold hard stats say a map is unpopular it is unpopular. Adding them back means less player population.
Adding back unpopular maps= lower player pop.= less ad revenue
simple business talk here

(G-S.N) Chicago Ben

I've asked 16 players now on the server all of them have said negative things about the map rotation. Why do I need to get support when its obviously in the server if you just asked?