Major Vezon Dash

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
so you find it odd that other admins would check up on someone who is making an admin app?
mysterious times ahead

No. That's not at all what I find odd. You should work on your reading comprehension, I think. I just find it odd that nobody gives a shit what happens in the server and the only time we see server admins is when they're 'forced' into the server to check up on an admin applicant.

herp 105.4

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
FF2 Balancer
No. That's not at all what I find odd. You should work on your reading comprehension, I think. I just find it odd that nobody gives a shit what happens in the server and the only time we see server admins is when they're 'forced' into the server to check up on an admin applicant.
you know how there are... other servers, right? and admins cannot be everywhere at once and what is the problem with admins c a r i n g about applicants and checking up on them and in turn the server
and the fuck do you mean by "nobody gives a shit what happens in the server"? if somethings dodgy like a wild rule breaker is on the server, report it

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
All too often I see people saying "Well I see other people doing it all the time! Stuff like this always goes on and nothing happens!"
They probably happen "all the time" because nobody is reporting them. If you do not report the violation, then the admins will not know about it and thus they do not get dealt with.

OrphAnne

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor

I am not being forced into a server to check up on an applicant. I choose to go to a server which is someone's self-claimed turf, because I don't know the applicant and want to see if the original complaint that their text chat was garbage held any merit. The idea behind that part of the application, the little part where it says What server do you play on? That's so we CAN GO LOOK.

I am not required to check on him. No one is required to check on him. We want to meet him and get a feel for him, and to see how he handles things - because as so many of you state, he speaks up against vote abuse, etc. It's nice you're here to say that, but we want to see it too.

Most of us -really- don't like when it is announced that an admin is on the server. When I hop onto another server to see what is going on, and the first thing out of someone's mouth is "OH WATCH OUT ADMIN IS HERE," it just ruins it. People can toggle cheats off and be more careful, watch what they are saying, etc. When people suspect people of cheating, and they start accusing the person in all chat, when an admin is there trying to spectate and record a demo, there's 75% chance now that everything the admin sees is just going to be bullshit worthless. It's nice you guys want to know who the admins are (so you can DM and ask for help etc) but half the time, you knowing who the admins are impedes the fucking job so much.

If there is vote abuse going on, if there is rule-breaking going on, Dustbowl players need to learn now that they should be making reports. TF2 admins are required to handle reports - if no reports are coming out of Dustbowl, why is there a need for an admin to be present? How would we know there's a problem happening if you guys are too lazy to type even a simple !report and 2 !votereports, or god forbid, take 4 minutes to record a demo? It's a fucking hassle, I know, and it interrupts your gaming. But the more you do it, the easier it gets, and it will get something DONE about what you guys are seeing.

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
I agree with Beardo's appraisal of the situation

EzZ9k7W.png

Beardo

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
I agree with Beardo's appraisal of the situation

EzZ9k7W.png
Yeah if its fine to keep my app open in review, and let me learn more about the job, what is expected, and more about the task in which I will need to perform, that would be appreciated.

If approved, I will still take the time to learn and be good at the job in general as well.

Reactions: Delays

Greggy G

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
If there is vote abuse going on, if there is rule-breaking going on, Dustbowl players need to learn now that they should be making reports. TF2 admins are required to handle reports - if no reports are coming out of Dustbowl, why is there a need for an admin to be present? How would we know there's a problem happening if you guys are too lazy to type even a simple !report and 2 !votereports, or god forbid, take 4 minutes to record a demo? It's a fucking hassle, I know, and it interrupts your gaming. But the more you do it, the easier it gets, and it will get something DONE about what you guys are seeing.

No one is going to learn to report unless they are taught what situations deserve reporting. As a casual TF2 player who frequents the dustbowl server I don’t remember seeing a single instance of an administrator taking action and/or punishing a player who is breaking a rule, let alone see one on the server. I cant even remember a moment of someone using the report function on another player on the server. It’s unfair to say that the players should automatically know what situations deserve punishment if they haven't actually seen someone be punished for it previously. Besides the obvious rule of no hacking which is universal across all communities, I can assure you no one who joins the server as a first timer would think about reporting someone for vote abuse, inappropriate sprays, or racism let alone even know how to report.

As a former server manager and current “higher up” of a different gaming community I have come across this issue of players not reporting rule breakers before and know the fastest response to rule breakers are just more active administrators. Of course this doesn’t mean accept any applicant that applies, having high standards is important but it shouldn’t hinder a community’s ability to gain at least one administrator to frequent each server. From my experience I don’t believe there is that one frequent administrator to take that position on the dustbowl server.

Beardo easily fits the role. He knows the regulars and knows how to make the server fun. He’s the only person I’ve ever seen on the server to stop playing the game and actually try and get ahold of an admin when there was a hacker just a few weeks ago. The guy knows the rules and wants to see the server succeed and has proven so with his dedication and high play time. Don’t let this mans potential go to waste. Support.

Reactions: Diggs and Beardo

Beardo

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
I'm still interested in becoming an Admin.

I hope my app can be looked over again. I made reports on any issues I came across in game, on the forums, the past 1-2weeks. I have been fully supportive vocally of the rules while online. As I've always been. I learned how to record demos. I understand the ban lengths. Tons of support from the community and time played on Skial. Long time Donator for myself, and for other friends who use Skial.

I hope to continue to get help from other admins and be a good help for the community.

Also, I have no hard feelings for @Jermaphobe . I do believe hes a good guy, and a good Mod here on Skial. Sorry pal.

Trillium

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I'm still interested in becoming an Admin.

I hope my app can be looked over again. I made reports on any issues I came across in game, on the forums, the past 1-2weeks. I have been fully supportive vocally of the rules while online. As I've always been. I learned how to record demos. I understand the ban lengths. Tons of support from the community and time played on Skial. Long time Donator for myself, and for other friends who use Skial.

I hope to continue to get help from other admins and be a good help for the community.

Also, I have no hard feelings for @Jermaphobe . I do believe hes a good guy, and a good Mod here on Skial. Sorry pal.
I'll go back to +1, from your paragraphs, you have seemed to mature quite a bit since your comment on Jermaphobe's profile.

Diggs

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Hmmm... I thought this would have been resolved by now. I've previously been server and game admin in other gaming circles and a fairly long time donator here at Skial. I guess I would be considered one of the "greybeards" in gaming these days. I'm struggling to understand the paralysis of analysis here. Many contributors stepping up with recommendations for @Beardo and nothing happens. Skial should be looking for good admins, not finding reasons to ignore them.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
Hmmm... I thought this would have been resolved by now. I've previously been server and game admin in other gaming circles and a fairly long time donator here at Skial. I guess I would be considered one of the "greybeards" in gaming these days. I'm struggling to understand the paralysis of analysis here. Many contributors stepping up with recommendations for @Beardo and nothing happens. Skial should be looking for good admins, not finding reasons to ignore them.
We don't hire just anyone that applies, it is entirely at Bottiger's decision who is hired. Applicants may wait months at a time before being accepted.

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
If you have been around that long, you will recall my application lasted 6 months. At that time there were fewer admins and more reports per day to handle. But it turned out fine. Was active on the forum, submitted reports, recorded demos, none of my friends from Dustbowl TX logged into the forums to make demands on my behalf. It all turned out okay.

But what I am wondering, since you bring it up, is where the fire is at. Do you feel there is urgency in making Beardo an admin? If so, why? Reports are resolved much faster than they were when I applied in 2013. Is there unreported rule-breaking? If so, why? The #1 priority of admins is taking care of reports.

If the urgency is because admin is considered a status symbol I can guarantee you right now admins see more posts like this than a "thank you".

Diggs

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Urgency? You have a popular server that rarely has admins on it. I don't know about urgency but there's a need. These five pages aren't friends of Beardo - Many are contributors that believe he is a good addition to the server. These are the people that game on that server and help pay for it. Not sure what better recommendations Skial requires. Status symbol? Really? Oh please......

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
Urgency? You have a popular server that rarely has admins on it. I don't know about urgency but there's a need. These five pages aren't friends of Beardo - Many are contributors that believe he is a good addition to the server. These are the people that game on that server and help pay for it. Not sure what better recommendations Skial requires. Status symbol? Really? Oh please......
We're only responsible for reports. If you're not making reports, which it seems apparent the majority here do not. Nothing gets done. You really think getting a regular from the server admin position will automatically solve all your problems? Hardly. No one is going to sit on a TF2 server 24/7 waiting for shit to happen, and no admin is available 24/7.

That is why reports exist. Why should we make someone admin because you are too lazy to file reports? It isn't hard, rather, its easy.

Never saw a report come in for any of this

You were already told admin apps take time, if you don't like that, well, tough shit

Reactions: Zeke Aileron

OrphAnne

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
(We want regulars to comment on the applicant and how they would fair, not bitching about how nothing is happening)

Reactions: Toxik