Beardo

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
As Metz said, your chatlog is just awful. It's actually very confusing to see how you behave on the server/this thread, as well as seeing the support you seem to be receiving, when looking at your chatlog.
I would definitely +1 you if I could see some of that maturity reflect in your game chat, but for now I'm just really not convinced you would be a good fit for the position.
I'm very sorry my chat isn't so great, but it does need to be said I don't really talk much in the in game text chat. When I'm actually being rude to a player, It's because they are being toxic to the entire community, so its more of being defensive for the community. I can, and will stop doing that. (this has only really been to one player who is perm muted in voice on the server.) Other than that I do a bit of banter in the chat (rarely) with friends, which I will also stop or tone way back.

I have support because I would call myself mature, friendly, and pretty much over all helpful whenever I can be. I'm pretty active and regular on Skial. I'm 30(if age is a concern). I own my own business off the computer (in which I talk to and deal with 100s of people daily) so I am pretty good at conversion and speaking to people in general in a mature manner. I'm usually available to help other admins if it's needed.

I have a lot of good quality's and I'm sorry again about the poor chat-log. I'll take the in game chat more seriously, and be better over all.

tee

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
+1
I was apart of the Skial community for a long time, probably starting around 2009/2010 and stayed apart of the community for a few years. Beardo was there from the start for me and is still there today.

He always makes coming back to tf2 fun and has been nothing but kind to me since we've first met.
He's always willing to help out with anything he can and I think he'd be a great admin who takes their role seriously!

Reactions: GOOFii and Beardo

GOOFii

Scarcely Lethal Noob
+1
Would highly recommend Beardo to be admin, he always promotes positive gameplay and is one of the few consistent dustbowl players that is a good fit for an admin position. He’s always helpful, upholds the server rules and also keeps the game fun and competitive. Beardo is a regular who is very well known as a mature player on the server and cares about keeping the server active. Furthermore, I feel that dustbowl definitely needs a more consistent admin that comes on. Very rarely do we see admins come onto dustbowl and its always a struggle getting friendly’s off the server.

Lastly, I can confirm that Beardo does mainly use his mic in voice chat which can be why his chatlog may be insignificant. But I think this is very beneficial for the dustbowl server as it makes the server community much more close knit than everybody only using text chat instead of voice chat. Voice chat helps keep the game more lively, competitive and overall, more enjoyable. For this reason I feel that he should not be marked down for not having an active chat log. Beardo’s support that he is receiving throughout this application should emphasize that he indeed is a very mature player fit for this position.

potato2222

Banned
Contributor
+1
Like many of the other regulars in this thread, I would have had no idea about the issue with the chatlog. I see Beardo often and he comes across as respectful, thoughtful, and enjoyable to play with. I don't think being a bit rough around the edges or not having known the admin community prior should disqualify someone - maybe we could use some variety in the team, with someone who we feel we can relate to.

PanHalen

Contributor
+1
I'm on the dustbowl server everyday and I don't oppose this. Never had a problem with Beardo or seen issues with others.

January 17, 2021

To whom it may concern:

This letter is in reference to Beardo . Beardo worked with me in the mutual destruction Department at Skial for several years. He began here as scout, and after several promotions, ended his service as Demo Knight.

During Beardo's service with us I admired him for his many valuable qualities, and regarded him with evermore respect. Very much a team player, Beardo was always punctual, yet easygoing. He was keenly devoted to his work, but being a real people person, he was also enjoyable to be around.

Beardo demonstrated from early in his tenure that he understood what skial is all about. He thrived under adversity. He was quite aware of the bottom line, and had a knack for recognizing and eliminating waste. I suppose doing well in business is easy if you are, as he was, efficient by nature.

I would like to be very clear about why Beardo is no longer with us. Beardo is available only because of the cost cutting occurring here. We hated to lose him, but it was unavoidable.

In closing, let me say I have no hesitation in recommending Beardo for the dustbowl server admin position. I feel confident he would be an asset to your organization.

SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!

Sincerely,
Pan-tholemew J. Halen
17 Years of Service
2,826 hrs on record (1 hr of idle server that's it i swear)

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
As Metz said, your chatlog is just awful. It's actually very confusing to see how you behave on the server/this thread, as well as seeing the support you seem to be receiving, when looking at your chatlog.
I would definitely +1 you if I could see some of that maturity reflect in your game chat, but for now I'm just really not convinced you would be a good fit for the position.
It's only because Beardo primarily uses his microphone that you would think this. There's a small amount of what you would call shit talk that goes on in the server with all of the regulars and Beardo usually just embraces this aspect of the Dustbowl community like the other regulars do.

Out of everyone in the server Beardo seems the most fit for the role of admin given his personality, demeanour, and the fact everyone already knows who he is. When people have a problem they'll know who to go to.

There's actual issues that happen on Dustbowl that happen all the time and nothing ever gets done about them. The reason they aren't being reported on the forums is that they're just laughed at when they're reported here.

Last edited:
Reactions: potato2222

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
There's actual issues that happen on Dustbowl that happen all the time and nothing ever gets done about them. The reason they aren't being reported on the forums is that they're just laughed at when they're reported here.
Please point to us where we, the admins, are laughing at you and any other dustbowl regulars for reporting issues on the forum.Give us direct links, no he said/she said please.

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Please point to us where we, the admins, are laughing at you and any other dustbowl regulars for reporting issues on the forum.Give us direct links, no he said/she said please.
There's quite a number of incredibly toxic players in dustbowl that continuously do the same shit day in and day out. It's laughed out here because it's not against the rules for some reason even though it makes people leave. "Just !ignore them" doesn't fix the problem for the overall player base who don't know such options exist.

herp 105.4

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
FF2 Balancer
not against the rules
whats wrong with toxic people? some are boring yeah with the usual insults but sometimes you get the special ones who have some of the best lines known to human history. id rather take 1000 shitters and 1 god rather than no shitters and no god

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
There's quite a number of incredibly toxic players in dustbowl that continuously do the same shit day in and day out. It's laughed out here because it's not against the rules for some reason even though it makes people leave. "Just !ignore them" doesn't fix the problem for the overall player base who don't know such options exist.
That sounds like none of us are the ones laughing at you. Just the irrelevant toxic players, and he said/she said

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
whats wrong with toxic people? some are boring yeah with the usual insults but sometimes you get the special ones who have some of the best lines known to human history. id rather take 1000 shitters and 1 god rather than no shitters and no god
Because targeted harassment isn't cool. I'm not talking about people who just regularly shit talk because that's entirely different. When someone comes in and starts harassing players it becomes something else. Dustbowl has been around for a while and the same players have been doing since the beginning of the game. Of course most of the time they're racist, target culturally sensitive topics, or try to be edgy in the same context. It's hard to even record them when they are breaking the established rules because they just get vote muted then come back later.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
Because targeted harassment isn't cool. I'm not talking about people who just regularly shit talk because that's entirely different. When someone comes in and starts harassing players it becomes something else. Dustbowl has been around for a while and the same players have been doing since the beginning of the game. Of course most of the time they're racist, target culturally sensitive topics, or try to be edgy in the same context. It's hard to even record them when they are breaking the established rules because they just get vote muted then come back later.
You can set an option in TF2 to auto-record demos for ever game you play, so you don't need to go out of your way to open a recording program or record a demo manually. Catch someone breaking the rules then report them with that demo.

Vexille

Contributor
I'd +rep for Beardo. As I've gotten familiar with all the longtime regulars, he's one of those players you're kind of glad to see online when you hit "view server info" and see his name on the list. I've come to enjoy the atmosphere he brings, like he's a chill dude I gotta admit. He knows how to play the game and pitch in to bring his team to victory when needed. He's on often enough that the server would have a consistent admin to keep it from getting too chaotic at times. He comes off as relaxed and regardless of what's going on I've never seen him fly off the handle towards another player.

He's more of mic only as others have stated. Rarely do I see him type. If he's had a rocky past over text chat, then I can only infer he must have pulled a big 180 from then and now.

Reactions: Beardo

fireburner

Scarcely Lethal Noob
NIce player
Friendly on the server
Respectful
Helps people
Been playing with him for a while now and he is always on the server
He knows the game

Sapphire8453

Contributor
Dustbowl NY(or i guess US now) is pretty much the only server I play on, and I honestly thought Beardo was already an admin. He definitely fits the role.
Plus, he clearly wouldn't have this many people vouching for him if he didn't have a good reputation. He's always a good person to have on the server and I've never seen him do anything out of line. Idunno what you guys are seeing in the chat but it seems pretty irrelevant considering how many people are recommending him.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
Why are some of you bringing up his chat? There's quite literally nothing I even raised an eyebrow at. Actual admins say worse things to players and nobody brings that up, so what's with the selective treatment?

potato2222

Banned
Contributor

In the same spirit of objectivity and backing up claims with evidence, please point to us where Beardo has incriminating chat logs. I, and others, have looked at them out of curiosity and there is nothing at least I could find indicating he is racist, sexist or otherwise problematic. The only impression I get is that he is a normal human being with a personality more interesting than cardboard engaging with others on the server, something consistent with what has been said so far on this thread by people who have actually interacted with him, as opposed to current staff who may not have witnessed him as much and thus do not have context around these logs with which to judge him. I am open to changing my mind especially since it's possible I missed something - I'm not online 24/7 and don't have the patience (or responsibility, frankly, since I'm not making the decision) to scour through his entire chat history. But as far as I can tell at this point, these -1s for chat being "trash" or "just awful" are disingenuous and should either be further elaborated on or rescinded.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
In the same spirit of objectivity and backing up claims with evidence, please point to us where Beardo has incriminating chat logs. I, and others, have looked at them out of curiosity and there is nothing at least I could find indicating he is racist, sexist or otherwise problematic.
If you want to start playing the "point the fingers" game, at least know who the hell you're actually propositioning to said game. I have not said anything in regards to his chatlog.
The only impression I get is that he is a normal human being with a personality more interesting than cardboard engaging with others on the server, something consistent with what has been said so far on this thread by people who have actually interacted with him, as opposed to current staff who may not have witnessed him as much and thus do not have context around these logs with which to judge him.
Okay, so without the context you and these other supports want us to believe exists our input is otherwise meaningless. Got it.
I'm not online 24/7 and don't have the patience (or responsibility, frankly, since I'm not making the decision) to scour through his entire chat history.
Okay, that doesn't sound like our problem.
But as far as I can tell at this point, these -1s for chat being "trash" or "just awful" are disingenuous and should either be further elaborated on or rescinded.
Okay, so if we're not in your group of regulars our input is otherwise meaningless. Got it.

Thunderkiss

Mildly Menacing Medic
I've known Beardo for about 8 years now and can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that he is an upstanding guy both in game and irl. Having been on steam for long enough that my account could legally drive in most states, I have met more than my fair share of people. The fakes will eventually show their true colors, the real ones have nothing to worry about. Beardo is a real good dude. He helps little kids figure out where to put sentries and he helps old guys like me figure out how to use new technology. Ive played literally thousands of hours with this guy whether it be TF2, DBD or CSGO so I think I can vouch for his moral imperative. While I don't ad much to my 9000 hours of TF2 these days, I used to frequent skial servers from 2012 to 2016 and Beardo would always bring a quiet, bland NY server to life. This would be why most of his content is on the mic; it increases engagement and a sense of community. I'm sure typing to warn players of eminent kicks/bans would be something he is more than capable of doing.
Thank you for your time

Beardo

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Thanks again everybody for the support!

Also, looking through my chats, there really isn't anything out of line or that bad to be considered "awful" or "immature". I guess you could twist and pull some lines out of context and try to turn it into something it isn't? That's pretty immature and childish though, and nobody would be so silly to do so. I'm not sure why they we're questioned.

I'll stand by taking text chat more serious regardless, and still help people like I always have. I will also continue to donate for a few of my friends, and myself while I continue to play on Skial. I wouldn't apply if I didn't plan on being active.

Hope I can get some actual feed back from staff sometime. I'm active in the morning, and at night. Available pretty much anytime. I have a ton of casuals who play on Dustbowl US+ added and I am friends with them, so they also have access to me if any issues pop up on the server. I'm just here to help out the community and that is all my application to become an admin is all about.

We have a great community of people. :)