Jake from Bacon Farm

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Contributor
...and to Nobody's point.. who's another regular on the server... I'd have to agree. I'm not sure someone can judge the pulse of the server if they don't play on it often or at all.

The people taking the time to post in this thread are all people who play hours daily or almost daily. Some for too many hours lol. Respectfully, I think that should be taken into account.

While typing this, I've had 15 some odd messages on Steam asking whether you're going to add new maps or not btw ;)

TigglesUK

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Also a regular wanting to add my voice to this - would love to see a bit of variety to the server with some new maps added. I too regularly see people asking for new maps (especially Goldrush, but I've seen a number of people ask about Hoodoo). Perhaps a trial period to test the water?

Thanks for the consideration. Appreciate what you guys do to give us a great server to play on.

Neinlove

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I bet you it either doesn't fill up enough or that it has crashed before and you never noticed. When we were running 32 slot goldrush, no one ever came to me and told me that it was crashing, but it was.
That server is full just as much as this one is. If the problem is that nobody told you that it was crashing then you could add some of the regulars who play there literally every day (some of them have posted here already) or you could find an admin and/or moderator to play there occasionally. The only admin I've ever seen go on that server is Biggie and his e-wife and RMSniper but I'm sure they'll both tell you that they don't go often.

We used to have multiple 24/7 thunder mountain servers with regulars that didn't have a home when they became too unpopulated to keep.
It barely ever gets a full rotation before it gets rtv'd. If Hoodoo is such a disaster it would just have the same fate.

Adding them back won't make them magically more popular.
It's hard to know how fun a map is if you never play it. People usually don't go and try out new maps but if they end up liking them they'll come back. People hated Snowy for a long time but it gets played at least once or twice a day now.

This is in theory. In reality, most people are too lazy to even vote and most votes aren't won by a large majority. If you have badwater, frontier, and hoodoo on the menu, and hoodoo wins with 40%, and badwater gets 30 and frontier gets 30, most of the server could still be disappointed.
Then they rtv.

Bottiger

Administrator
ALSO, there's an admin here (AT MOST) once a month. How can ANY of you be in touch with what is or isn't popular on the server? We're voicing our opinion NOW and you're denying its popularity.

Because we have a program to monitor the popularity of all the maps everywhere without any personal bias. It is part of the secret why we have the most players. And Hoodoo was consistently the least popular payload map. I just checked it again and it is still at the bottom along with cactuscanyon which I suppose I will remove now.

pl_upward 100 2321
pl_badwater 91 1607
pl_goldrush 45 1090
pl_borneo 30 303
pl_frontier_final 25 333
pl_barnblitz 20 317
pl_metropolis_b5 19 33
pl_thundermountain 16 273
pl_snowycoast 13 158
pl_swiftwater_final1 11 270
pl_hoodoo_final 9 260
pl_barnblitz_pro6 8 39
pl_cactuscanyon 8 88

That server is full just as much as this one is. If the problem is that nobody told you that it was crashing then you could add some of the regulars who play there literally every day (some of them have posted here already) or you could find an admin and/or moderator to play there occasionally. The only admin I've ever seen go on that server is Biggie and his e-wife and RMSniper but I'm sure they'll both tell you that they don't go often.

My point is that even if a server is crashing as much as 1 per 2 days, you aren't going to have everyone notice it. Also it wasn't the case that the server was anywhere near as full as ours before, and it doesn't make sense to add goldrush back just because we aren't hitting 32 players for 8 hours a day anymore. If it only crashes 1 per 4 days now due to fewer players, I still consider that bad and not worth doing.

XenoMorphin' Power Ranger

That data is all well and good, but our suggestion is that the data is not accuratly reflecting the current demand within our community.

How about you stop by the server. Bunch of people wish to voice their wishes.

jessisduhbest

Contributor
What are these stats from? And whats the harm in adding it? PEOPLE WANT IT. You can't measure how much we like it unless you add it for this new audience. The closest way you can measure the demand is listening to players, which who would do that amirite?

Bottiger

Administrator
What are these stats from? And whats the harm in adding it? PEOPLE WANT IT. You can't measure how much we like it unless you add it for this new audience. The closest way you can measure the demand is listening to players, which who would do that amirite?

The stats come directly from Steam, they are 100% accurate. If there was really so much pent up demand for hoodoo, you would see the other hoodoo servers bustling.

I suppose we can try adding it back since you are all so adamant about it. But from my experience hosting TF2 servers for the past 8 years, I've seen this same thing many times over and over again. A few regulars claim there is a huge demand for niche X, they fill it for a few days or weeks, and then it dies out again.

The regulars here can attest to it. There used to be the same reaction here towards having a no-crit/no-spread server and despite my frequent warnings that it would never fill, we tried it, and it died.

Essex

Contributor
Bump for great justice. In this age of Tump, why do we need to build walls between servers? I would also like to take a moment to thank Bacon. Bacon is good, bacon is great, bacon is that which I appreciate.

/votemenu
upward
rtv

The stats come directly from Steam, they are 100% accurate. If there was really so much pent up demand for hoodoo, you would see the other hoodoo servers bustling.

I suppose we can try adding it back since you are all so adamant about it. But from my experience hosting TF2 servers for the past 8 years, I've seen this same thing many times over and over again. A few regulars claim there is a huge demand for niche X, they fill it for a few days or weeks, and then it dies out again.

The regulars here can attest to it. There used to be the same reaction here towards having a no-crit/no-spread server and despite my frequent warnings that it would never fill, we tried it, and it died.
We would be very happy to try out new maps for at least a month. If we try hoodoo, could we please consider Nightfall and Pipeline as well. The change in payload gameplay is something many of us would enjoy. Changing up the rotation could be a major boost not just for us regulars, but those who will be regulars in the future.

RMSniper

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
It's just gonna go back to barnblitz, badwater, and borneo after the month when everyone gets bored of it. You guys never made a big deal about for as long as I played on payload, and I speak as someone who was (and still tries to frequent) a payload US reg. I'll happily support the regulars if this is what they want, but I know how quickly everyone on PL, including myself, reverts back to the same habit of the same 2-4 maps.

jessisduhbest

Contributor
The reason we don't go to Hoodoo servers is because we want it in the ROTATION. We don't want 24/7 Hoodoo...also, skial payload+ US is our hub. I know none of the admins would know this, but every night there are 8-15 regulars on PER NIGHT the keep the server active. It doesn't fill until one of the regulars (ALL OF WHICH ARE POSTING HERE) join.

The reason we don't go to Hoodoo servers is because we want it in the ROTATION. We don't want 24/7 Hoodoo...also, skial payload+ US is our hub. I know none of the admins would know this, but every night there are 8-15 regulars on PER NIGHT the keep the server active. It doesn't fill until one of the regulars (ALL OF WHICH ARE POSTING HERE) join.
Preach. I have no doubt that adding Hoodoo, pipeline, and Nightfall would INCREASE traffic. Many of us would play hours more per week if we had more maps in the rotation.

RMSniper

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
We all know that, as that is how almost all of our popular servers work. We don't discredit you and appreciate our regulars. :blush:

Reactions: TigglesUK

Neinlove

Because we have a program to monitor the popularity of all the maps everywhere without any personal bias. It is part of the secret why we have the most players. And Hoodoo was consistently the least popular payload map. I just checked it again and it is still at the bottom along with cactuscanyon which I suppose I will remove now.

pl_upward 100 2321
pl_badwater 91 1607
pl_goldrush 45 1090
pl_borneo 30 303
pl_frontier_final 25 333
pl_barnblitz 20 317
pl_metropolis_b5 19 33
pl_thundermountain 16 273
pl_snowycoast 13 158
pl_swiftwater_final1 11 270
pl_hoodoo_final 9 260
pl_barnblitz_pro6 8 39
pl_cactuscanyon 8 88
Do you have the stats of the server we're talking about? Maybe it's just my "personal bias" but in regards to this server there's a 0% chance that Thunder gets played more than Snowy. I also don't understand how the updated and unanimously better version of Barnblitz is ranked so low. You should throw that on as well. I can't imagine why people would vote for the more cramped version of Barnblitz when given the opportunity.

My point is that even if a server is crashing as much as 1 per 2 days, you aren't going to have everyone notice it. Also it wasn't the case that the server was anywhere near as full as ours before, and it doesn't make sense to add goldrush back just because we aren't hitting 32 players for 8 hours a day anymore. If it only crashes 1 per 4 days now due to fewer players, I still consider that bad and not worth doing.
So you introduce Gold Rush to the server for a month and if it crashes and/or is laggy you remove it. I don't understand the big deal here. Look at how long the people posting in this thread have played on your server. They're not trying to fuck you or something.

DsNuts

Scarcely Lethal Noob
The server also wants 2 barnblitz options, so it can be played more. I personally don't, like I said, server wants this. Thanks

I would also enjoy having the other version of barnblitz as an option. While I'm thinking about it, please do not remove thunder mountain. There are a few who enjoy the map, and better yet it is great to have the extra choices when the server gets bored.

Jake from Bacon Farm

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Contributor
Ok, I don't want this to come off poorly... but we're asking for greater variety of maps and now you're discussing dropping Cactus from the rotation?

As for stats, yes I get it, but you can't have stats on this PL server for Hoodoo, as it's not in the rotation currently. The regulars that populate this server enjoy this server because we all play together. So whether it's popular or not on another server isn't the point honestly.

Sniper, I think you forgot Upward in there lol But as for currently being played, all maps have been rotated frequently today, as they usually are.

I agree with what was posted before... if you think it's only a couple of people asking... you should be playing on the server tonight.

Finally, Essex is right, bacon.