Status
Not open for further replies.

Korten

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Servers:
HARVEST | EU (MOSTLY!), DUSTBOWL | EU 1, BADWATER | EU 1, HIGHTOWER | EU, UPWARD | EU
Time:
(GMT2 - Israel) Varies. On free days, either late morning to evening, or afternoon to early morning. On work days, usually just evening.
Hlstats:
http://stats.skial.com/stats/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=1181310
Will you get mad if you lose admin?:
Of course not. The only reason I'm applying is to help the community. If I lose my title, then I naturally assume it's for the better.
How do you ban your own SteamID?:
sm_ban "STEAM_0:0:40235237" 30 "obvious aimbot"
Any other reason you should be admin:
There have been a few times where I noticed some people crossing the rules, warned them, and eventually had to alarm an admin in order to solve these problems. I think I can contribute by solving issues of the sort in a calm and reasonable manner as well, as I usually do in reality.
If this is relevant information, I've made more than a handful of friends on Skial servers, and I don't see why not to make more as they come. The community has really nice parts and I enjoy it a lot.
Obviously I will not abuse my powers as an admin, and only use them in moderation when needed.
Thanks in advance, whether or not my application is accepted.

Janskurnium

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Would be a great admin. I've been in those "few times" too and the other admins have usually been too harsh.

Korten

Elaborate.

Also, I play on harvest and badwater quite often and I don't think I've ever seen you.

Perhaps we play on different time schedules, then; I log on fairly often. I also came back from a rather long break without TF2 a week or two ago, but you can see my hours in my hlstats link, I believe. Also, harvest is my most played. As for the other 4, I visit them from time to time.
My point is that if there's any trouble, I can jump to any server in an instant.
As for the harsh part, it happened just today, and I can explain in detail what happened if it's necessary.

HowIMetYourMother

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Would like to hear what's harsh with the other admins. Apart from that, -1 since your most used weappen is the market gardener.:facepalm:

^ joke^
+1: nice chatlog, decent ammount of hours connected.

edit: i think the reassen behind this admin app is wrong tho

Korten

I'll try to make it short and to the point- X used the gunslinger and built mini sentries, Y and Z tried to kick (or ban, I don't remember which) him for grieving. I told them that according to Skial's rules, using mini sentries is not considered grieving even if all the other players are annoyed by them, and that mis-using the vote system is against the rules. I also said that if they keep doing it, I'll have to alarm an admin to take care of the problem. They decided to vote-mute&gag me for spam (which failed, fortunately), and then they attempted to vote-kick him again. I alarmed a random admin from the Skial Admin group on steam, and both me and Y think that he's been misusing his powers a bit, and that his penalty was a bit too harsh. Instead of reasoning with them, he tried to intimidate them by flooding the chat box with "why have you blahblahblah" in green text 5 times in a mere second. I just wanted him to give them a warning, and he gagged them as soon as he got there. They've tried changing their names in order to avoid the mute, and so he banned them for a day.
I personally believe the problem could've been solved much more conveniently for all sides if he just tried to convince them calmly the situation.
I didn't mention his steam name because I wasn't sure if I should.
Also, thank you for the positive feedback. :)

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
He is upset that i silenced two people for abusing the votemenu. Apparently that is harsh in his eyes.

Korten

He is upset that i silenced two people for abusing the votemenu. Apparently that is harsh in his eyes.

What I meant to say is that you could've reasoned with them before deciding to mute them right away, and that the ban came unnecessarily quickly. :\

Korten

I thought one of the important parts of the admin title is being calm and mindful with your decisions, and convincing people into the rules before punishing them.
What's the point in instinctively treating them like criminals? For instance, these two might have not fully known about the rules, and I highly assume they could change their behavior if only someone with authority, but reasonable and forgiving, would explain to them what they've done wrong and why.
I don't want to become an emotionless law machine, I wan't the players in the community to have fun while paying full heed to the rules; what's the point in just banishing them without any warnings or attempts of explanation?

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Not my problem if they don't read the rules. Your logic is stupid.

Just because you didn't know something was against the law doesn't mean you won't get in trouble for it.

Reactions: SgtGiraffe and sov

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I thought one of the important parts of the admin title is being calm and mindful with your decisions, and convincing people into the rules before punishing them.
What's the point in instinctively treating them like criminals? For instance, these two might have not fully known about the rules, and I highly assume they could change their behavior if only someone with authority, but reasonable and forgiving, would explain to them what they've done wrong and why.
I don't want to become an emotionless law machine, I wan't the players in the community to have fun while paying full heed to the rules; what's the point in just banishing them without any warnings or attempts of explanation?
Most of the admins don't have time to hold everyones hands because they're too busy with other pressing issues. Making a light example of someone is typically good enough to get most people to stop for a while at least. If Zebra or anyone else simply slapped their hand and treated them like babies, they would get walked on every day.

Korten

But then what if somebody like me does have the time to sit and explain the rules that they've missed? Obviously what's done is done, they can at least get another chance to change their behavior, right?

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
But then what if somebody like me does have the time to sit and explain the rules that they've missed? Obviously what's done is done, they can at least get another chance to change their behavior, right?
I don't know what kind of leniency they have when they find a rule breaker.

But with the current system (that every admin follow), people are given second chances (up to five of them) before rightfully getting their ass kicked.

The one day ban is literally a warning, and when they are allowed back they can either learn from their mistake or get a longer punishment.

Korten

That's my point- shouldn't all the admins be a bit more forgiving and grant rule breakers at least one more chance? The ultimate goal is to make a fun community for players, right? If some people feel rejected just because they broke some rules that they might not have even been aware of, doesn't that conflict with the goal?

But with the current system (that every admin follow), people are given second chances (up to five of them) before rightfully getting their ass kicked.

The one day ban is literally a warning, and when they are allowed back they can either learn from their mistake or get a longer punishment.

That's exactly the problem- I already talked to more than one guy who got temp-banned, and they all said that they will not come back, simply because the attendant admin has intimidated them.

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
That's my point- shouldn't all the admins be a bit more forgiving and grant rule breakers at least one more chance? The ultimate goal is to make a fun community for players, right? If some people feel rejected just because they broke some rules that they might not have even been aware of, doesn't that conflict with the goal?
3,902,294 players on 92 servers.
That's how many people actively play or have played on skial servers.

http://www.skial.com/sourcebans/index.php?p=banlist
So far in the 11 hours of today there have been 16 bans.
Three of those from admins, the rest from votes or SMAC.

The system they have in place is what works for the amount of players they have to supervise.
This is why I said they really don't have the time to have a heart to heart with you just because you mic spammed. Typing a command and letting you (hopefully) learn from it is a lot less time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.