Mordy

Uncharitable Spy
I see this all the time, where people are holding a conversation with someone on the other team, only to have it interrupted because either one of them are dead and the other person is alive. People will often say something immediately after they die, only to have who it was directed at not be able to see it.

People not aware of this will get angry at you and accuse you of ignoring them, when simply, you just didn't see the message because it was blocked. It does more harm than good.

EDIT: This concerns all the Badwater servers.

Reactions: sov

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
+1

I need to be able to call the faggot who killed me with a lucky ass crits a little bitch.

:)

ToTeM

Australian Skial God
Contributor
+1 i thought you were about to be against what you're suggesting and i was gonna make a joke based on your avatar but i had no idea the living players couldn't see the dead ranting and making excuses of lag

Mordy

Uncharitable Spy
I love having to explain to people that you can't type to a living enemy, while you are dead. Sometimes they grasp the concept to a T.:harpdarp:

cause

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Alltalk only allows communication between alive players of separate teams through mic chat. Text chat is always Alltalk (except when using team chat), however the dead players cannot talk to players that are alive on the other team. This is how valve has it by default in TF2 (possibly a source feature that carried over from counter strike by accident). Just turning alltalk cvar on will NOT allow these *DEAD* players to communicate to the other team's alive players. I posted this before but I'll post it again: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=171734. This SourceMod plugin fixes this problem, and I can 100% confirm it works because I've tested it on my own server before.

After installing this plugin, the Cvars to use would be:

• sm_allchat_mode <0|1|2> - Players can see all chat messages without dead or other restrictions.
    • 0 = No. Standard behavior.
    • 1 = Yes. Players will see all chat messages.
    • 2 = Yes. Players will see all messages if sv_alltalk is enabled. *Default
  • sm_allchat_team <0|1|2> - Who can see say_team messages?
    • 0 = Teammates only. Standard behavior.
    • 1 = All teammates without dead or other restrictions. *Default
    • 2 = All players without dead or other restrictions.
So you could blend it with the vote alltalk command with the _mode 2 value (this plugin will only turn on when alltalk cvar is 1, ergo when people vote for alltalk) or set it to 1 to make dead messages always appear regardless if alltalk is on or not (which seems practical because alltalk only really applies to mics). Then set the _team cvar to 1 to maintain the standard team message behavior (standard behavior in TF2 that is. 0 is the standard behavior in counter strike, as this plugin can be used in any source engine game).

Bottiger

Administrator
Alltalk only allows communication between alive players of separate teams through mic chat. Text chat is always Alltalk (except when using team chat), however the dead players cannot talk to players that are alive on the other team. This is how valve has it by default in TF2 (possibly a source feature that carried over from counter strike by accident). Just turning alltalk cvar on will NOT allow these *DEAD* players to communicate to the other team's alive players. I posted this before but I'll post it again: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=171734. This SourceMod plugin fixes this problem, and I can 100% confirm it works because I've tested it on my own server before.

After installing this plugin, the Cvars to use would be:

• sm_allchat_mode <0|1|2> - Players can see all chat messages without dead or other restrictions.
    • 0 = No. Standard behavior.
    • 1 = Yes. Players will see all chat messages.
    • 2 = Yes. Players will see all messages if sv_alltalk is enabled. *Default
  • sm_allchat_team <0|1|2> - Who can see say_team messages?
    • 0 = Teammates only. Standard behavior.
    • 1 = All teammates without dead or other restrictions. *Default
    • 2 = All players without dead or other restrictions.
So you could blend it with the vote alltalk command with the _mode 2 value (this plugin will only turn on when alltalk cvar is 1, ergo when people vote for alltalk) or set it to 1 to make dead messages always appear regardless if alltalk is on or not (which seems practical because alltalk only really applies to mics). Then set the _team cvar to 1 to maintain the standard team message behavior (standard behavior in TF2 that is. 0 is the standard behavior in counter strike, as this plugin can be used in any source engine game).

If you read the newest posts, people say the plugin doesn't work anymore.

The reason why I hesitate to use plugins like this is because the plugin needs to recreate the chat messages themselves and that tends to break very easily.

Reactions: staticvoid

Mordy

Uncharitable Spy
So at this point, would it be better to petition Valve to include this as a built-in server option?

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
not fast enough

0FDD9ABF3.gif

cause

Scarcely Lethal Noob
If you read the newest posts, people say the plugin doesn't work anymore.

The reason why I hesitate to use plugins like this is because the plugin needs to recreate the chat messages themselves and that tends to break very easily.

The plugin was working correctly on a server that I owned from February of this year, to April. The post made in February on that thread is irrelevant because the plugin was working after. There is such a thing as people that install things wrong, and blame the plugin, instead of checking that they installed said plugin correctly. I've seen numerous people try and install say noUnlocks (or whatever that plugin is called) without realizing they need to install the TF2Items plugin and extension, of which the noUnlocks is contingent upon to ya know.... function. And to be honest "JoeyTB" with only one post on the Sourcemod forums, isn't exactly a reliable source of a plugin being faulty.

In the near three months of running this plugin, it did not break once. No problems during installation of said plugin, or any existing plugins after as well relating to Sourcemod. I don't know why a plugin like this would break so easily as you say. It doesn't use Rcon to display the message so it's not a risk with security, and it just basically copies the messages of Dead players and re-submits them for everyone who was alive on the other team during that instance with the dead variable at 0.