Status
Not open for further replies.

ly_dee

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I initially wanted the rule to be removed but it'd make skial a homophobic and sexist community..

The rule is too vague. I've never seen an admin punish someone for insulting a female, for instance. Everytime someone reports a person for sexism/discrimination (which is rare), most admins say "client mute". So why is there a rule in the first place? You should specify exactly what is meant by insults, just like how you specified what racism is by providing examples.

When people type in !rules or go on skial.com to check the server rules they see that insults to gender and sexual orientations are against the rules. Insults means what it means. So if we followed that guideline, any kind of insult would be worth reporting. Then admins would be overwhelmed by the amount of reports from fragile souls that can't handle trash talks.

It's tricky to enforce such a rule due to the degree of the insults, so at least make it clear once and for all so nobody brings this topic up again and makes a debate about it. Players are not familiar with skial's policy on the matter. They don't know what is considered "serious insults". You need to inform them better. Maybe there is a reason why people don't even bother reporting cases of insults because they always end up being declined. It can be frustrating as they think they're doing good by reporting something that is against the rules by definition but then get told that it's not "serious" enough. So maybe having something like

Racism and other insults to gender, religion and sexual orientation. Does not include discussion of why it is against the rules.
  • Any form of the word nigger (nigga, nigg, etc.) is not allowed even if you are just quoting a rap song or you are black, to prevent racists and kids using the same excuse.
  • Generic insults are allowed (faggot, whore, etc.)
  • Insults like "you cock thirsty slut shouldn't play video games and should go clean your house instead then spread your legs afterwards so your bf can reward you for your good work", "don't use your mic you fucking queer, you're spreading aids to all the people in the server because of all the cocks that have entered your nasty asshole. You faggots need to die for the straight people to live in a better place", etc. may result in silences.
would be better.

EDIT: to sum up, either modify by adding at least one bullet point to clarify, because skial is not enforcing the rule whatsoever, or even remove it completely.

Last edited:

Comanglia

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Don't need to, hate speech falls under the category of insults, and you is allowed in-game. You don't like it, mute the person. The only time hate speech is not allowed is when your spamming it... as in flooding the chat with it.

So giving a hate speech about gay people = no ban / client side mute. While give a hate speech about black people/jews = ban/silence?

Yeah that makes sense. /s

Fairnessplease

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
So giving a hate speech about gay people = no ban / client side mute. While give a hate speech about black people/jews = ban/silence?

Yeah that makes sense. /s

Yes , that falls under the CATEGORY OF RACISM. Not insults. Maybe you should of read the rules couple times before you decided to make an admin app.

I'll be back later tonight, going out in SF. GO GATORS! :D

RMSniper

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Yes , that falls under the CATEGORY OF RACISM. Not insults. Maybe you should of read the rules couple times before you decided to make an admin app.

I'll be back later tonight, going out in SF. GO GATORS! :D
Except he did read the rules. He is making a suggestion against the current rules, which is quite in line with this thread. No need to flame his own personal opinion to a suggestion, which is a suggestion, not an absolute.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Don't need to, hate speech falls under the category of insults, and you is allowed in-game. You don't like it, mute the person. The only time hate speech is not allowed is when your spamming it... as in flooding the chat with it.

Hate speech could also count as racism though?

Hate speech is speech that offends, threatens, or insults groups, based on race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or other traits.

I don't understand why "nigger" is specifically banned, if no other language is also banned- some woman may be offended by "whore" just as much, or more than a black person may be offended by "nigger".

LiterallyCody

Totally Ordinary Human
Hate speech could also count as racism though?

I don't understand why "nigger" is specifically banned, if no other language is also banned- some woman may be offended by "whore" just as much, or more than a black person may be offended by "nigger".

Because "whore" can literally describe what they are, and the word whore should not be praised. *COUGHS*ZoeyQuinn*COUGHS*

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Because "whore" can literally describe what they are, and the word whore should not be praised. *COUGHS*ZoeyQuinn*COUGHS*

That's not a good enough argument honestly, if "whore" describes what they are- then racist people could say the same about "nigger" ?

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
That's not a good enough argument honestly, if "whore" describes what they are- then racist people could say the same about "nigger" ?
That would imply that all blacks are niggers, whereas we know that all whores are prostitutes.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
That would imply that all blacks are niggers, whereas we know that all whores are prostitutes.

Some racist people could say that "all blacks are niggers", I don't understand how some things are seen as "just insults" when "nigger" is seen as bannable.

LiterallyCody

Totally Ordinary Human
Some racist people could say that "all blacks are niggers", I don't understand how some things are seen as "just insults" when "nigger" is seen as bannable.

It's people who are insensitive and just PC (politically correct) or the radical leftist wing. Where as in right-wing, nobody cares if you're a nigger or not, we don't get offended easily.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
It's people who are insensitive and just PC (politically correct) or the radical leftist wing. Where as in right-wing, nobody cares if you're a nigger or not, we don't get offended easily.

Do you believe that the rules about racism/sexism/etc. should be removed?

MagicalGirlEmi

Unremarkable User
OR the rules can be enforced like they are for racial slurs since they are all listed under bullet point 5 (These actions may result in bans, silences, or other punishments.~Racism and other insults to gender, religion and sexual orientation.). To stand by in silence instead of speaking out against people using this sort of language makes all of us complicit to the actual issue. No one will change without correction if everyone here looks the other way.

LiterallyCody

Totally Ordinary Human
OR the rules can be enforced like they are for racial slurs since they are all listed under bullet point 5 (These actions may result in bans, silences, or other punishments.~Racism and other insults to gender, religion and sexual orientation.). To stand by in silence instead of speaking out against people using this sort of language makes all of us complicit to the actual issue. No one will change without correction if everyone here looks the other way.

I like insulting others based on gender, religion and sexual orientation. It's called freedom of speech darling, except Racism, that's a different story.

MagicalGirlEmi

Unremarkable User
I like insulting others based on gender, religion and sexual orientation. It's called freedom of speech darling, except Racism, that's a different story.
I'm not sure how different of a story that could be considering your profile picture features an SS uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.