LiterallyCody

Totally Ordinary Human
AEB51AFC95B93D0BFFB9D9745CF2E63C512276E3

Obviously sprays are sprays and I could turn them off, but I like seeing other sprays too. But really, I don't like seeing the gore sprays, they're just shocking. It's just really horrible at how cruel players or people can be.

(In this photo I literally had to move my sentry and dispenser away from the spray to a different location just because of it)

Reactions: Random Gamer

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Not really, speaking in metaphor to show how ridiculous your tradition remark was/is.
I am not sure how remarking on the fact the Toxik revealed my use of the 'appeal to tradition' logical fallacy (argumentum ad antiquitatem) means that I am promoting racism and homophobia.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I am not sure how remarking on the fact the Toxik revealed my use of the 'appeal to tradition' logical fallacy (argumentum ad antiquitatem) means that I am promoting racism and homophobia.
Because it's far from being anything to do with tradition, and you are fully aware that the way you couch phrases can create a whole different implication to their intention. I never said you promote anything, don't play word games with me, especially slanderous ones.
Tradition is sending someone a card on their birthday, not saying "nasty imagery has always been allowed, therefore it should always be allowed"

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Because it's far from being anything to do with tradition, and you are fully aware that the way you couch phrases can create a whole different implication to their intention. I never said you promote anything, don't play word games with me, especially slanderous ones.
Tradition is sending someone a card on their birthday, not saying "nasty imagery has always been allowed, therefore it should always be allowed"

OMG- I can't believe I am arguing about the degree to which my previous argument was flawed... lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition
Appeal to tradition (also known as argumentum ad antiquitatem, appeal to antiquity, or appeal to common practice) is a common fallacy in which a thesis is deemed correct on the basis that it is correlated with some past or present tradition. The appeal takes the form of "this is right because we've always done it this way."

Toxik

Contributor
I believe if a spray gets complained about it should be assessed by an admin, who are (through the application process) representative of the majority opinion of the users of the servers. I don't believe it should be a blanket ban as it is to difficult to account for every eventuality before the fact. Sm_removespray is an option, so is warning people. It doesn't have to be black or white, that's why people make the decisions and not a predetermined set of rules in a plug-in.
Obviously the feeling is quite strong for disallowing gore, the next debate as chuck wagon rightly points out is "what constitutes gore?" I can tell you the answer already: it's what the admins decide is gore.
Wat, how does our application process make admins representative of the majority opinion of the users?
We only test them on commands and general rules, have them give us reasons why they want to be admin, and ask if they'd be mad if they lost admin (for some reason)

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
OMG- I can't believe I am arguing about the degree to which my previous argument was flawed..
You don't have to justify yourself. Nobody will think any less of you. :trollexcited: Hey man, gore is fucking nasty, nobody should be subjected to it without choice, especially children. I can see no other reason for someone spraying gore than either: trolling/griefing looking to shock, or someone who is mentally ill / sadistic.
Wat, how does our application process make admins representative of the majority opinion of the users?
We only test them on commands and general rules, have them give us reasons why they want to be admin, and ask if they'd be mad if they lost admin (for some reason)
By gaining support and acting in a manner that is in keepin with the wishes / beliefs of the majority.

Toxik

Contributor
By gaining support and acting in a manner that is in keepin with the wishes / beliefs of the majority.

Yeah, I guess I can see that, but not every person that we've made admin has had a lot of support from regs. On most applications, it's people from the forum who don't play a lot who give +1/-1 based on their application, which is why we always encourage support from regs

LiterallyCody

Totally Ordinary Human
Yeah, I guess I can see that, but not every person that we've made admin has had a lot of support from regs. On most applications, it's people from the forum who don't play a lot who give +1/-1 based on their application, which is why we always encourage support from regs
You don't have to justify yourself. Nobody will think any less of you. :trollexcited: Hey man, gore is fucking nasty, nobody should be subjected to it without choice, especially children. I can see no other reason for someone spraying gore than either: trolling/griefing looking to shock, or someone who is mentally ill / sadistic.

I could've gone for admin if I wanted, realizing that it's a big role, I hardly know how to use the dev console, and I doubt I'll get the chance to get on once I begin my college classes this summer.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

In an ideal world those who regularly play on the server and those who regularly use the forums would be the same thing, however unfortunately because it isn't ideal it does require additional people (even those who do not know people as well) to give their opinions, a good example for instance is for my application I've had two people tell me that they were having trouble logging into Steam through Skial and gave up (once of them made a seperate Skial account just to comment, for instance).

I think to some extent support from regulars of the server should be a requirement in order to select an admin for the servers, someone could have the minimum requirements (hours for example), but then make things up in the rest of the application, which leads to them being supported by the forum regulars... apologise for going off topic, this is a subject I've been thinking about a lot recently (feel free to add me if you want to continue talking, don't want to derail thread).

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Gore is banned now, neat, but is the drawn equivalent banned too?

We've been talking it over a little and it looks like it does fall under the rule, but we're going to be treating it with common sense of course. If there's some anime chick covered in random blood that's not something I could see us caring about but if they have sawed off limbs gushing out blood with their decapitated head on the floor or some crazy shit like that it would fall under the gore rule

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Wiki's definition of gore
  • Graphic violence visually depicted, especially the realistic depiction of serious physical injuries involving blood, flesh, bone and internal organs

Tayto

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
I know the topic title asks if it should be a bannable offense, but what will the action be? A silence or a ban?

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I know the topic title asks if it should be a bannable offense, but what will the action be? A silence or a ban?
A ban. Then reported to the Department of Un-American Activities to consider your eligibility for re-education measures.