Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Alright, well here's my rant against friendlies.

It's understandable if an entire server wants to friendly. If everyone wants to conga, as in literally, all 24 or all 32 people, fine. That's what people want to do.

However, when as much as 3 people end up friendlying, especially if they're on the same team, this creates a massive imbalance and stacking. A best case scenario means that the team with the friendlies is down by 3. A worst case scenario is that the friendlies are heavies who are giving out sandwiches to the enemy team, pushing the not-stacked team down even further.

The idea of an "extended' period of time is too long. 10 minutes, 5 minutes, hell even two minutes without 2 or 3 people on your team will result in unbalance in a best case scenario, or a curbstomp in a worst one.

My suggestion is this, unless it is setup or Trade/Achievement, friendlying should be banned. Period.

Now I am not suggesting we're banning people on sight for friendlying, give them a warning first, if they don't comply, then move on to bans. But, at the end of the day, we should take care of this issue. When your team is down by two or three useful players, the game because a chore because of the imbalance created.

So... what am I suggesting?

1. Kick friendlies. On sight. Thank you @Antamania for the idea.
2. Reword the rules. Bitching people are annoying, the people who actually read the rules actually have a clue.

Last edited:

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Which is the point I'm trying to get at. "Friendlying" is a hard term to define due to how major or minor it can actually be. I usually just go with the definition of willingness to not directly harm an enemy (or all of them) and that's it. They can still do the objection (such as capturing the intel) while "friendlying", in this case. They can still "kill" with the RPS taunts. They can still trick aggressive enemy players into wasting their time or dying a "natural cause". And many more things.

I, myself, am willing to do "friendlying" toward specific people. If someone on the enemy team offers me a high five, I'm gonna accept it if I'm not in-combat and maybe hang out for a moment before continuing my route (especially if I'm a Scout and there is 2+ sentry nests ahead... I'm kinda stuck there waiting for my team to help me. I can take out one sentry nest if the engineer isn't stubborn but not two), and I'm afraid of admins finding minor moments like this to be bad. The major stuff, like I said earlier, are obviously bad for obvious reasons. (That and sometimes, as a joke thing, on my first life of a round... I'll attempt to conga, or spy-crab, to the objection, be it intel, cart, or a point. If I succeed, well good for me I guess... Usually I die though and then I'll play normally. I did succeed once at capturing an intel but I don't count it due to the server didn't had many players at time and really just had bots).

I also don't think anyone is going to report you, or an admin is going to kick you for this. Pretty sure it's only when it directly fucks up play, such as 5-6 people congaing around for minutes at a time. I don't think people need to worry too much about semantics.

The TLDR version of this thread imo:
Don't do shit that fucks things up for the people who want to play the game.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If I'm on a server long enough, regardless if it is Skial or not, I get bored, start fucking around, ignore the objective, spam projectiles, camp out for fun, and just try and get a rise out of people. Usually 2 minutes of these shenanigans leads me to /quit, as it gets boring as well.
What I'm saying is we all can fuck around sometimes, it is human nature, and one cannot be draconian in their approach, we are all human (except meowcenary) and as such are susceptible to momentary lapses of reason. Our admin(s) have been specifically chosen for their fairness and understanding of what is acceptable.
As admin, tell people to stop, tell them friendlying is frowned on and can lead to bans. use any of the tools at your disposal to do so (chat/tsay/csay/dsay/mic) if they ignore you, kick (or ban for 1 Min, as this actually logs the incident on the bans database). This action will do 1 of 3 things: 1: correct the behaviour of the server 2: start a debate on the justification for being friendly 3: instigate a thread on the forums discussing acceptable levels of friendlying.
1. result!
2. interrupts the game more than the friendly.
3. just goes round in circles.

The answer: doesn't matter if a no tolerance policy is or isn't introduced, the friendly behaviour will not stop. If the friendlying will not stop, all that can be done is to control it.

Just keep getting the message out there that the servers are for all, any group or individual set on disrupting the game (i.e not supporting their team in completing the objective, or intentionally causing grief to one or more players) is liable to be excluded from playing on them.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Could a plug in be made to autokick players if they haven't done any damage over x amount of time?

JordanJ

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
Why download a game with guns to throw sandwhiches at people. I have been banned from servers (Obviously not Skial) for killing friendlies. I usually record a demo and grab an admin. Like how bored are you to be friendly? +1 but I don't think any script can fix it. Like make it more clear that being friendly is against the rules so people will fuck off.

Yuki Nagato

Uncharitable Spy
Could a plug in be made to autokick players if they haven't done any damage over x amount of time?

I've had ideas similar to this, but it could falsely kick an engy defending intel who simply hasn't ran into anyone. If the game had some way of knowing when enemies are in proximity to each other (without walls), yet just standing there and not attacking then that would be a way of auto detecting it. Not sure any mechanism like that exists though.

Making action taunts trigger an afk timer whenever they're used would certainly drop the hint, though personally I would just block them for good. Someone mentioned heavies that just have sandvich parties though without taunts. It might be plausible to have a script to tell if the amount they have eat within a given time against damage received/given is unrealistic within normal play and likely caused by friendlying.

Last edited: