Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Alright, well here's my rant against friendlies.

It's understandable if an entire server wants to friendly. If everyone wants to conga, as in literally, all 24 or all 32 people, fine. That's what people want to do.

However, when as much as 3 people end up friendlying, especially if they're on the same team, this creates a massive imbalance and stacking. A best case scenario means that the team with the friendlies is down by 3. A worst case scenario is that the friendlies are heavies who are giving out sandwiches to the enemy team, pushing the not-stacked team down even further.

The idea of an "extended' period of time is too long. 10 minutes, 5 minutes, hell even two minutes without 2 or 3 people on your team will result in unbalance in a best case scenario, or a curbstomp in a worst one.

My suggestion is this, unless it is setup or Trade/Achievement, friendlying should be banned. Period.

Now I am not suggesting we're banning people on sight for friendlying, give them a warning first, if they don't comply, then move on to bans. But, at the end of the day, we should take care of this issue. When your team is down by two or three useful players, the game because a chore because of the imbalance created.

So... what am I suggesting?

1. Kick friendlies. On sight. Thank you @Antamania for the idea.
2. Reword the rules. Bitching people are annoying, the people who actually read the rules actually have a clue.

Last edited:

TapTap

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
We already do that?

By 'extended period of time' we never intended more than 10 minutes.
We always kick then ban if they don't comply.

As an admin you should know that, unless I'm missing your point.

Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
We already do that?

By 'extended period of time' we never intended more than 10 minutes.
We always kick then ban if they don't comply.

As an admin you should know that, unless I'm missing your point.

Having Friendlies PERIOD is detrimental to any team. If your team was to lose say, 2 players actively playing, the game becomes a curbstomp in just a few moments. The point is that Friendlies should be not allowed. I don't want two people doing nothing in spawn, whether it's 10 minutes, 5 minutes, or 10 seconds. It becomes a chore for your team, and wastes a slot for people who want to play.

Harming your team for an extended period of time.

Instead:

Harming your team.

Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If you have trouble dealing with friendlies than you are doing something wrong

Average Scenario I face:

1. Complaint about friendly
2. Goes to server
3. Tells them to stop friendlying, giant squabble ensures, he either leaves or stops friendlying
4. I leave server
5. Friendly starts friendlying again
6. Ban
7. Other people start bitching about "not in the rules", not "extended" etc.
8. Rinse and repeat.

TapTap

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
You're basically suggesting rewording something, even though as an admin I instantly kill kick friendlies without really waiting for that extended period of time. A warning is a warning.

People will also always find loopholes in the rules. It's not a court, don't worry.

Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You're basically suggesting rewording something, even though as an admin I instantly kill friendlies without really waiting for that extended period of time. A warning is a warning.
That's my point. When people read the rules, they'll realize this:

"Hey, I can friendly for about 10 minutes... and no one is going to say anything!" (Que: complaints, and the imbalance)

to

"Okay, I better not friendly."

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
How is the scenario you described not considered an extended period of time? And who cares if people complain.

Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
How is the scenario you described not considered an extended period of time? And who cares if people complain.
What? How to deal with Friendlies isn't the issue. Is how to stop them from even beginning in the first place. How many people have left after the curbstomp because their team was at a 2-3 man disadvantage? How many people have left, since the actual report? How many people have left before any admins came on? That's the issue. My suggestion is that if we reword it on saying that Friendlying is bannable.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
I would +1 to reword it to or add a friendly specific rule. A lot of people read the rules and don't think that friendly falls under the "harming team" category. Whenever I tell someone to read the rules about it, they argue that friendly is not in there and it just makes things complicated.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I am conflicted about this. I don't feel as if rewording the rule is going to change anything. Half the time when I ask people to stop friendlying they don't even know it's against the rules. You're laboring under the delusion that people actually read the rules before playing.

I think if it's not already a kick instantly...it should be. I don't think a text warning does anything against them, and a kick is harmless enough while getting your point across. So, if it's not already a thing, I'd support an instant kick instead of a warning that they're going to ignore 9/10 times anyway.

I will say that quite a few of the servers are almost unplayable at night because of this, and then they start trying to vote kick you if you kill them, and sometimes it succeeds. All in all it's pretty fucking annoying.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
So you think re-wording a rule is going to stop friendlies? I guess that explains why we don't have any hackers on our servers.

Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So you think re-wording a rule is going to stop friendlies? I guess that explains why we don't have any hackers on our servers.
No, rewording won't stop friendlies. But, when someone points out it's against the rules, some people may actually stop.

But yes, when you put it that way, yeah. Rewording may not sound effective on people who don't give a damn about the rules, but hey, at least it's an option to kick/ban.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
This isn't making any sense now.

The rule would still be there unchanged, you just want to take out the "extended period of time" and you think people will magically make sense of that rule. Its still the same rule.

And extended period of time is any time where they are constantly doing it and not playing. For example, If I got up and high five biggie on the other team, then i keep playing. That isn't an extended period of time.

If I high five biggie and then the next guy, the next guy, the next guy and give out sandviches and conga and whatever. That is an extended period of time.

If people don't make sense of it that isn't our problem. If you kicked or warn them before hand they should know to stop.

TapTap

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Based on that logic if we bold + underline the 'No Hacking' rule we could be running hacker free for months...

Nothing is gonna change, really.

Also @Antamania most of us insta kick when we see a friendly.
I've never seen an admin go like "ok he's only been congaing for 5 minutes gonna wait a bit more".

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Do admins need to verbally/in text warn people before kicking them if they are friendlying, or is it up to their discretion?

edit:
nevermind, Tap added the response to the above.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Do admins need to verbally/in text warn people before kicking them if they are friendlying, or is it up to their discretion?
It's up to them. Admins aren't required to give warnings but a lot do give them for friendlies.

Yuki Nagato

Uncharitable Spy
To quote myself...

In my honest opinion you would be doing yourselves a massive favor by simply disabling the love & war taunts for good, because they truly are killing this game stone dead. These idiots will say something like "we're out of the way", well when you're on a map that other people are actually trying to play there's no such thing as "out of the way", because any area is useful. This is a daily occurance on the 32 player servers and it's honestly not 'losing its appeal' or 'dying down'. "Out of the way" is on your own server with a password...there's no reason to do this on a pub server other than to harass people that are genuinely playing the game.

Just disable action taunts, it will reduce it pretty drastically. Once they realize they can't do them here most will leave.

Incidentally, most of the people in the report that's from still do it regularly.