Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Alright, well here's my rant against friendlies.

It's understandable if an entire server wants to friendly. If everyone wants to conga, as in literally, all 24 or all 32 people, fine. That's what people want to do.

However, when as much as 3 people end up friendlying, especially if they're on the same team, this creates a massive imbalance and stacking. A best case scenario means that the team with the friendlies is down by 3. A worst case scenario is that the friendlies are heavies who are giving out sandwiches to the enemy team, pushing the not-stacked team down even further.

The idea of an "extended' period of time is too long. 10 minutes, 5 minutes, hell even two minutes without 2 or 3 people on your team will result in unbalance in a best case scenario, or a curbstomp in a worst one.

My suggestion is this, unless it is setup or Trade/Achievement, friendlying should be banned. Period.

Now I am not suggesting we're banning people on sight for friendlying, give them a warning first, if they don't comply, then move on to bans. But, at the end of the day, we should take care of this issue. When your team is down by two or three useful players, the game because a chore because of the imbalance created.

So... what am I suggesting?

1. Kick friendlies. On sight. Thank you @Antamania for the idea.
2. Reword the rules. Bitching people are annoying, the people who actually read the rules actually have a clue.

Last edited:

TheyCallMeArab

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
That's actually what I do, when there is about two or three friendlies, kicking one of them is enough to make them all stop.

But... when there's more than that. Kick one of them, and riot is ensured and endless complaining about "SKIAL ADMIN CABOOSE LELELELEL XD" or "Not in da rules!"

Which is why I think as he pointed out:

We should have this:

• Harming your team for an extended period of time.

• Example: blocking sniper views, teleporter traps, refusing to help advance your teams position (including, but not limited to, friendlying)
Or something like it.
Honestly, you should just kick everyone who's friendlying. Kicking one in a group will sometimes work, but kicking everyone who's involved will be way more effective than kicking one of them

I̶n̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶d̶s̶;̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶?̶

Last edited:

Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Honestly, you should just kick everyone who's friendlying. Kicking one in a group will sometimes work, but kicking everyone who's involved will be way more effective than kicking one of them

In other words; if three people are hacking on the same server, will banning one of them make the others stop?

Really? You think kicking 10 people is going to help the server? I'd rather have Friendlies than an empty server, I can tell you that much. Most people have the sense to stop friendlying, but to start complaining. Which is why adding that line in the rules will make people stop going "but it's not against the rules!" and all those dumb excuses. If people want to leave because we don't allow friendlies... I've yet to see that as of now, but I have seen people complain to no end. Having that line there will make even the dumb people realize:

"Oh hey, friendlying is against the rules! If the Admin kicks/bans/warns, it's because I shouldn't be doing it!"

That aside, Hacking and Friendlying, comparing those two is like comparing speeding and committing murder.

Last edited:

TheyCallMeArab

Really? You think kicking 10 people is going to help the server? I'd rather have Friendlies than an empty server, I can tell you that much. Most people have the sense to stop.

That aside, Hacking and Friendlying, comparing those two is like comparing speeding and committing murder.
Alright I admit, the hacking segment was unjustified. Yet again, I only gave a suggestion to kick like 10 players.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
There are already examples for rules that some people seem to want to get around or supposedly don't understand.

We are not going to be making a gigantic list of examples because I guarantee you someone will act like this "you didn't list X, it isn't against the rules, unban me".

Our rules were made to be as short as possible because most players have a 10 second attention span. Adding more words means less of a chance it will actually be read.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Something needs to be done to make it easier for us non-admins to get rid of friendly. It is quite time consuming and not really worth it to go in, record a demo, and then upload and submit. Report and votemenu will never work because most players don't won't to get rid of friendly. Sure we can just call in an admin but with the amount of friendly people on the servers, the admins would have to constantly be scurrying around just to kick a few players.

Additionally, players tend to friendly in groups and to make a report for half the server is quite outlandish. When this happens, I usually ask an admin to come on but it would be easier if we could do something about it ourselves.

I know that this is the job of admins to take care of things like this but it is so common that giving the average player the ability to quickly and efficiently do something about it would be great.

Little off-topic, but I just wanted this to be said.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Something needs to be done to make it easier for us non-admins to get rid of friendly. It is quite time consuming and not really worth it to go in, record a demo, and then upload and submit. Report and votemenu will never work because most players don't won't to get rid of friendly. Sure we can just call in an admin but with the amount of friendly people on the servers, the admins would have to constantly be scurrying around just to kick a few players.

Additionally, players tend to friendly in groups and to make a report for half the server is quite outlandish. When this happens, I usually ask an admin to come on but it would be easier if we could do something about it ourselves.

I know that this is the job of admins to take care of things like this but it is so common that giving the average player the ability to quickly and efficiently do something about it would be great.

If you're too lazy to report them for being friendly *which isn't even time consuming* then just keep killing them over and over until they either stop being friendly, leave the server, or call a vote on you. If they call a vote on you, you should have started recording a demo while killing them anyway because of how often this happens and report them.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
If you're too lazy to report them for being friendly *which isn't even time consuming* then just keep killing them over and over until they either stop being friendly, leave the server, or call a vote on you. If they call a vote on you, you should have started recording a demo while killing them anyway because of how often this happens and report them.
I don't mind recording every so often. It's just when it gets to the point that I have to do it a few times a day, I tend to get a little annoyed. It takes out of my playing time, and when this happens I do usually just go around and kill them.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor

Just add a few admins to your friends list. In the past I've always felt bad about "annoying them" but then quite a few people on here called me an idiot saying that it's pretty much what they signed up for. I never have issue getting an admin within minutes to come handle an issue. I will only record when it's a large amount of people, and I only in that case report the initiators.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Just add a few admins to your friends list. In the past I've always felt bad about "annoying them" but then quite a few people on here called me an idiot saying that it's pretty much what they signed up for. I never have issue getting an admin within minutes to come handle an issue. I will only record when it's a large amount of people, and I only in that case report the initiators.
I already have a couple added. I have that same issue with feeling that I am annoying them.

Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
You all realize we are admins because we have no life and pray that someone contacts us to handle rule breakers.

Kobe

Wicked Nasty Engineer

Just add me. I fucking hate friendlies so it'd be a pleasure of mine to do something about it. But it's the summer, so I probably won't be online much.

TapTap

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
But... when there's more than that. Kick one of them, and riot is ensured and endless complaining about "SKIAL ADMIN CABOOSE LELELELEL XD" or "Not in da rules!"
Honestly why would you care.
I've seen this happen a lot, I just don't mind them after explaining once.

Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Honestly why would you care.
I've seen this happen a lot, I just don't mind them after explaining once.

If I am in the minority here, than the change probably shouldn't be made if no one feels it's necessary, I would find it easier if simply put, point and read the rules.

Jusey1

The biggest issue I feel with having stricter rules is simply because at times, a friendly is actually helpful. Heck, I ended an enemy player's god-like killstreak (and sending him to spawn for about 8 seconds) just by being a friendly for a moment with him. (He took my RPS offer). Which, in the end, helped my team push forward quite a bit (as he was one of the top players on the enemy team keeping my own team from pushing forward)... A lot of things can happen in 8 seconds (such as an uber push).

However, I also understand the fact that having too many friendlies just on one team, whom are just hanging out in spawn, is also a bad thing and shouldn't be allowed. As it both cripples the team and the overall fun of the server for anyone.

Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The biggest issue I feel with having stricter rules is simply because at times, a friendly is actually helpful.

Let me define friendly for you:
Walking around, not attacking the enemy team, not playing the objectives, or a combination of above. How is that helpful? How can that conceivably be helpful?

Heck, I ended an enemy player's god-like killstreak (and sending him to spawn for about 8 seconds) just by being a friendly for a moment with him.
This is not friendlying. Or rather, this doesn't fall under the extended period of time definition.

However, I also understand the fact that having too many friendlies just on one team, whom are just hanging out in spawn, is also a bad thing and shouldn't be allowed. As it both cripples the team and the overall fun of the server for anyone.

Thank you! So, let's ban the friendlies and continue with the people who want to play.

Yuki Nagato

Uncharitable Spy
"Friendly" is a generous word for these people tbh, because they're usually pretty toxic. They also know full well it's against the rules, but they just don't care.

1 - Start mass killing them and they try to vote ban you.

2 - Build an sg in the area and they'll even uber an enemy spy to get rid of it.

3 - If they're hanging in one teams intel they'll warn if a cloaked spy on their team is there.

That kind of thing actually qualifies as malicious and I think bans way harsher than 1 day need to be given for "friendlying". Even more if they try to evade on a sock account and their IP is caught. These players are in the same bracket as "derankers" on cs:go...their only goal is to ruin the game for people.

Last edited:

Biggie

Forum Admin
Contributor

We already kick friendlies as a warning.

I don't feel like we need to reword anything, because if you can put 2 and 2 together you would know that friendly = griefing.

As zebra said, you shouldn't be having this hard of a time dealing with friendlies as an admin.

Besides, regulars already tell people that friendlying is against the rules.

Jusey1

This is not friendlying. Or rather, this doesn't fall under the extended period of time definition.

Which is the point I'm trying to get at. "Friendlying" is a hard term to define due to how major or minor it can actually be. I usually just go with the definition of willingness to not directly harm an enemy (or all of them) and that's it. They can still do the objection (such as capturing the intel) while "friendlying", in this case. They can still "kill" with the RPS taunts. They can still trick aggressive enemy players into wasting their time or dying a "natural cause". And many more things.

I, myself, am willing to do "friendlying" toward specific people. If someone on the enemy team offers me a high five, I'm gonna accept it if I'm not in-combat and maybe hang out for a moment before continuing my route (especially if I'm a Scout and there is 2+ sentry nests ahead... I'm kinda stuck there waiting for my team to help me. I can take out one sentry nest if the engineer isn't stubborn but not two), and I'm afraid of admins finding minor moments like this to be bad. The major stuff, like I said earlier, are obviously bad for obvious reasons. (That and sometimes, as a joke thing, on my first life of a round... I'll attempt to conga, or spy-crab, to the objection, be it intel, cart, or a point. If I succeed, well good for me I guess... Usually I die though and then I'll play normally. I did succeed once at capturing an intel but I don't count it due to the server didn't had many players at time and really just had bots).

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Which is the point I'm trying to get at. "Friendlying" is a hard term to define due to how major or minor it can actually be. I usually just go with the definition of willingness to not directly harm an enemy (or all of them) and that's it. They can still do the objection (such as capturing the intel) while "friendlying", in this case. They can still "kill" with the RPS taunts. They can still trick aggressive enemy players into wasting their time or dying a "natural cause". And many more things.

I, myself, am willing to do "friendlying" toward specific people. If someone on the enemy team offers me a high five, I'm gonna accept it if I'm not in-combat and maybe hang out for a moment before continuing my route (especially if I'm a Scout and there is 2+ sentry nests ahead... I'm kinda stuck there waiting for my team to help me. I can take out one sentry nest if the engineer isn't stubborn but not two), and I'm afraid of admins finding minor moments like this to be bad. The major stuff, like I said earlier, are obviously bad for obvious reasons. (That and sometimes, as a joke thing, on my first life of a round... I'll attempt to conga, or spy-crab, to the objection, be it intel, cart, or a point. If I succeed, well good for me I guess... Usually I die though and then I'll play normally. I did succeed once at capturing an intel but I don't count it due to the server didn't had many players at time and really just had bots).

We know friendlying isn't always black and white which is why we handle it on a case by case basis.