Uncharitable Spy
Dear skial!

This isn't a suggestion, this is just discussion and my opinion, let's keep this thread civil. In my opinion hackers should be granted their second chance. Before you start an argument, read carefully what I have to say, m'kay?

Skial has a very simple set of rules. While the rules have remained unchanged, the way they are being enforced has changed quite a bit.

Skial had standard length punishments. 1d, 3d, 1w, 1m, perma. This means that even if you had screwed up 4 times 2 years ago, the 5th offense would land you a permaban.

Nowadays the 5th offense can be from anywhere from 1m to permanent ban and if your 4th offense happened long time ago the admin that banned you might be lenient enough to reduce the time you have to sit out. Of course you still shouldn't be breaking the rules. Skial's way of enforcing rules has become a lot less strict and that's good, because someone who might be genuinely breaking a rule by accident for the 5th time might not receive a permaban. Good example would be jailbreak servers, which have their own set of rules.

Also with the hacking cases there was a time if a sibling or any relative had used cheating software they'd make a donation to charity and have the hacker hold a sign that says I am this and this person, however this method of confirming identities was discarded, because it became a farce quickly.

Now, let's talk about few cases where the staff has had a good reason for permaban/silence and 2 cases where mercy was given.

The first case that caught my attention came from a user called sushipaste. This person was toxic to the core according to the staff and few users. This person had stacked up a lot of votesilences and staff had to constantly intervene to save the community the trouble of constantly silencing him. He also spammed the forums with appeals and thus landed a ban on the forums aswell. However the staff was lenient towards him and it took a lot of offenses from sushipaste to rack up the permaban.

The second case is the case of g00sy. Someone used cheating software while on his IP and the cheater's account and g00sy's accounts were permabanned, however an admin unbanned g00sy's account and his ip after the admin confirmed that the accounts weren't similiar. Skial's policy is to keep all the tainted IPs banned, so this was a pretty interesting case.

The 3rd case was similiar. An admin made a deal with a user that had a tainted IP to unban the IP and if they saw any activity from the user that had hacked the ban would be reinstated, however this ban was quickly reinstated because the steam ID that originally cheated was still active.

I'd like to add that because tf2 became f2p, it also played a role in this strict policy, despite them trying to do the best for those who genuinely said sorry and those who got caught in the crossfire.

Let's talk about the safety of these servers. Between a cheater and the skial's servers are 3 layers of protection: VAC, SMAC and the admins. What doesn't get caught by VAC and SMAC is caught by the admins.

Way to earn the unban. I know of the two dead programs that have been rendered useless, so these types of cheaters could be given a second chance, because I'm sure they wouldn't risk the second time. Cheaters that make the more sophisticated programs and either use themselves or sell them to people looking for the programs are a bigger issue. In order to get a second chance, I'd say that making a deal with the cheater to give up the cheating program and giving them a temporary ban would be far more beneficial than permabanning them with no chance to appeal. It'd be highely unlikely that someone would find a way to get away with cheating the second time, because few lines of code play in very unnatural way.

For those who use the 2 programs giving them a chance to appeal at a later time in the future and expecting grade A appeal would be fair.

I mean people who use the infamous bind, then get perma'd and then come to the forums and say "Soz I saw the rule about advertising hacks, yet I made a jokebind advertising dem hacks" are unbanned.

I'd like to say that our identity is just a jumble of numbers and these are the thoughts I have been having. Sucks that someone who genuinely was curious about cheating and went about it the wrong way gets perma'd and anyone who didn't cheat also gets banned on that IP, while the trolls who clearly see the very first lines about advertising do it anyways and get a chance.

Advertising cheats is much worse than cheating in my opinion, because youngsters are the people most likely to try them out and this curiosity costs them. People shouldn't do neither of those things, but they do just to test the waters.

The reason for saying that there was a change in enforcing the rules was because there could be a way to be strict towards these kinds of people, but also let them have another chance. I'm sure other people would get the message if the ban was long, but there was a date to look forward to, after a really good appeal.

These are just my thoughts and I'd love everyone's input.

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
First: Holy shit. The declaration of Independence look less long than this fucking novel.

Second: GEE I WONDER WHOSE ALT ACCOUNT THIS IS??? Guess will never know cause forum owners here don't require users to link a steam account so you kids can hide and have a safespace.

Third: Nobody likes hackers. Nobody. You hacked, you're scum, get fucked. Don't hack and this won't be a problem. Pretty fucking easy but retards can't seem to not do it.

-FIN

Reactions: Newbie

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I think cheaters should be banned for 2 years, come back cheat again, you then get a life ban. Iirc, even in leagues cheaters generally only get a one year ban.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
The current system is fine. There's really no reason to ever hack, and using "what if they're curious about cheating?" is a lame excuse.

Shoulda hacked in Combat Arms.

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The current system is fine. There's really no reason to ever hack, and using "what if they're curious about cheating?" is a lame excuse.

Shoulda hacked in Combat Arms.

Yo BIG head mode in NBA games is the only worthwhile cheat.

Nikolaa

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
In my opinion people who cheated when they were very young (around 10-12 yo) after 5 years could get the second chance. Someone made an appeal because he cheated long time ago when he was a around 10 yo.

Bottiger

Administrator
If you are curious about hacking, we don't have a problem with it as long as you don't do it on our servers.

We cannot give hackers a 2nd chance because then everyone that is inclined to hack would do it until they got caught. We would see an explosion in the number of hackers on our servers if we started doing this.

And giving hackers another chance to figure out how to bypass VAC/SMAC/Admins is stupid. Just because they got caught once doesn't mean they'll get caught a 2nd time.

soo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
If hackers get a second chance then we end up with more hackers. Just giving them a second chance is giving them an incentive to hack the first time.

If they are curious about hacking and just wanted to try it then why do it on Skial and risk getting banned on the biggest tf2 community? Play somewhere else.

Maddo did bring up a pretty interesting point. A lot of players out there in competitive scenes are being banned but not permanently. It may be something worth discussing.

However, my thoughts are that Skial should be a place were players can come and expect a cheat free environment and we do our best in doing so cause clearly VAC isn't doing a good enough job.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I think cheaters should be banned for 2 years, come back cheat again, you then get a life ban. Iirc, even in leagues cheaters generally only get a one year ban.

tbh I agree with this. I think you deter people doing it on a whim knowing they can just apologize and be allowed back in, while still being able to give second chances to the few people who legit would stop doing it.

I'm not advocating the same for people who were doing it with the intent to grief like selkies or whatever, just maybe some kids making a really stupid decision might be worth revisiting giving a second chance for after a few years.

Reactions: soo and Newbie

Profile_Name

Uncharitable Spy
I agree with Maddo to an extent and for sure agree with Nikolaa, those are the only scenarios where I could see giving a second chance. It should be something you have to earn.

Uncharitable Spy
Nice to see all the replies! I agree that the 2nd chance should be something you have to earn. Just making an appeal won't be enough after all. Based on how things have been handled years ago and on your replies here's something that I think would be best. First of all the individual that cheated should make an appeal that shows genuine remorse and it would have to be after some time, not the moment they got caught. They'd also have to make a donation either towards skial or to a charity group in skial's name. The final step would be to wait 1-2 years. Buying unban and being unbanned instantly wouldn't be a good idea. If the individual who appeals isn't the one who cheated, it would give them a chance to save their network from perma and be more careful in the future. They wouldn't foolishly let their friend/cousin/cat on the network again.

HowIMetYourMother

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Cheaters are permabanned, not ip-banned because thats not possible to follow up in such a game. (in league)

Last edited:

Gamer4605

Banned
I agree with the more lenient punishments if your last punishments were ages ago, as a lot of discord servers remove warnings that were given a month or more ago, but hackers should not be given a second chance.

Uncharitable Spy
I understand how most of you feel. Cheaters have fun at the expense of others, essentially cleaning a server if not stopped. Bottiger's point is fair aswell, private programs fly under the radar, but I doubt that anyone who has malicious intents would be willing to wait out 2 years. They'll most likely move on to other servers. Consistency is key here. Genuine apology, fee for breaking the one rule you're never supposed to break in the first place and waiting a long ban out. This IMO shows genuine regret. Blade is right, the "Lolz I wuz curious about hax0rz so I decided to hax" is the worst excuse ever. I'm not sure if a program can be reverse-engineered and it's quirks added to SMAC so it can be made useless, but if it was/is possible then cheaters could just give up the programs they've bought from private vendors. The biggest factor is that tf2 was made free and that allowed hackers to thrive on servers and that worked as even bigger incentive to just ban entire networks.

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I understand how most of you feel. Cheaters have fun at the expense of others, essentially cleaning a server if not stopped. Bottiger's point is fair aswell, private programs fly under the radar, but I doubt that anyone who has malicious intents would be willing to wait out 2 years. They'll most likely move on to other servers. Consistency is key here. Genuine apology, fee for breaking the one rule you're never supposed to break in the first place and waiting a long ban out. This IMO shows genuine regret. Blade is right, the "Lolz I wuz curious about hax0rz so I decided to hax" is the worst excuse ever. I'm not sure if a program can be reverse-engineered and it's quirks added to SMAC so it can be made useless, but if it was/is possible then cheaters could just give up the programs they've bought from private vendors. The biggest factor is that tf2 was made free and that allowed hackers to thrive on servers and that worked as even bigger incentive to just ban entire networks.

Here's an extreme example:

I'm gonna rape your mother, cause yaknow "I want to know what raping someone feels like". Then after I said I'm sorry, paid my fine, gone to jail for X amount of years as punishment......when I get out I'm gonna come back and rape your mom again. I wasn't sorry and the restriction of time was just a stop-gap for me raping your mom over and over.

Are rape and cheating comparable? Maybe. Maybe not. But don't be a piece of shit and do piece of shit things like cheat or rape and this won't happen. Don't hack, won't get banned. Ez.

Uncharitable Spy
Here's an extreme example:

I'm gonna rape your mother, cause yaknow "I want to know what raping someone feels like". Then after I said I'm sorry, paid my fine, gone to jail for X amount of years as punishment......when I get out I'm gonna come back and rape your mom again. I wasn't sorry and the restriction of time was just a stop-gap for me raping your mom over and over.

Are rape and cheating comparable? Maybe. Maybe not. But don't be a piece of shit and do piece of shit things like cheat or rape and this won't happen. Don't hack, won't get banned. Ez.

I agree, however they have to pay thousands of compensation and spend years in jail or psych wards, however small percentage of criminals get out and become productive members of society. While my views might be optimistic, I believe that a long wait in the timeout chair and paying compensation for being a stick up skial's arse does the same trick as a permanent ban. Also I doubt any rapist would spend 2 years in jail, pay thousands to a victim and then go back to do it again. To clarify I agree with your post that there are people who are stupid enough to pay munies, wait their punishment out and then repeat the same offense.