• Life

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Choice

Votes: 47 87.0%

• Total voters

Avenger

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
All this is is speculation. Stop dismissing points for that reason.
Fine, view this as a science experiment. You're trying to see if increased abortion rates correlates with reduced crime; but you can't control countless other factors that influence people to become criminals. Your teacher/professor/whoever would reject your experiment because you can't control your variables in order to test for a single dependent and independent variable.

This works both ways, so don't think that I'm taking a side.

Last edited:

CDAWG

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I don't plan on voicing my opinion on actual abortion but this is what I want to see:

1. Protected legal clinics that are welcoming to the patient.
2. Protestors should have to stand a certain distance away from the clinic to protect any patient coming in.
3. Abortion clinic workers should not be demonized and should be offered protection.

Many people are frightened out of the abortion business as it is very dangerous and there are people out there eager to destroy their buildings and their lives. We need safe places for patients to come to, because banning the legal clinics will only make the situation worse.
But that goes into religion and protesting which is supposedly is allowed to be practiced by the law of the land. They would have to change the constitution but considering they spit in the face of it everyday, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Twilight

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Why is this thread still alive, for fuck sakes this is a gaming forums. Honestly the majority of us are between 10-18 years old. with a some people over 20 thrown in. None of us have any sort actual standing in terms of life experience nor education to be making this argument. Just damn one google search will not make a person an expert at either side of the argument. The fact is there is too much grey area for a google search to find, and then you have to factor in morality and then you need to put you own opinion aside and look the whole situation as a whole. However, us doing that here on a forums where dumb shit is posted daily, where most of us believe we are right and cant see past ourselves, just let it die guys

Deer Force

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Why is this thread still alive, for fuck sakes this is a gaming forums. Honestly the majority of us are between 10-18 years old. with a some people over 20 thrown in. None of us have any sort actual standing in terms of life experience nor education to be making this argument. Just damn one google search will not make a person an expert at either side of the argument. The fact is there is too much grey area for a google search to find, and then you have to factor in morality and then you need to put you own opinion aside and look the whole situation as a whole. However, us doing that here on a forums where dumb shit is posted daily, where most of us believe we are right and cant see past ourselves, just let it die guys
or you could be glad that we as a community are able to have a debate without getting too offensive or ignorant
I think this thread shows that we actually care about each other

Avenger

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=will google guarantee that i win an abortion debate

So when do we start quoting every post and saying "REPOST!"

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Statistics seem to prove that legal abortions reduces crime. As in less unwanted babies = less criminals.
http://freakonomics.com/2005/05/15/abortion-and-crime-who-should-you-believe/

It is also funny to me that most Pro-Lifers are also pro capital punishment. They don't want to kill another human until he has had a chance to live a miserable, criminal life.
Come on man, as a teacher you should be ashamed at banding this around as being factual. This has the same sort of sentiment as a nazi sterilization program.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Come on man, as a teacher you should be ashamed at banding this around as being factual. This has the same sort of sentiment as a nazi sterilization program.

I never made a value judgement and nothing about what I said is untrue. There is a correlation between areas all over the world were legal abortions become available then crime rates drop 18-ish years later. The hypothesis is that this is a causal correlation.

The leap in logic you made comparing that that to forced sterilization by Nazis is quite amusing.

Kuddos on getting Godwin's Law out of the way though.

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I never made a value judgement and nothing about what I said is untrue. There is a correlation between areas all over the world were legal abortions become available then crime rates drop 18-ish years later. The hypothesis is that this is a causal correlation.

The leap in logic you made comparing that that to forced sterilization by Nazis is quite amusing.

Kuddos on getting Godwin's Law out of the way though.
Has any scholar out there found any definitive evidence to suggest a direct, causal relationship between legal abortion and crime rates or is it all just sociological theory? Just because a correlation exists between two variables doesn't mean that one causes the other directly.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Has any scholar out there found any definitive evidence to suggest a direct, causal relationship between legal abortion and crime rates or is it all just sociological theory? Just because a correlation exists between two variables doesn't mean that one causes the other directly.
Exactly.
This is why I said it has the same sentiment as a nazi program.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
The Donahue and Levitt was a peer reviewed study put forth by two professors (Stanford and U of Chicago) so it is not like they are just a couple of nut jobs spewing off ideas. It is a theory of about why crime decreased in the 90's. There is no way do prove definitively that it is 100% true, but that doesn't mean that you can dismiss it as 100% false.

Exactly.
This is why I said it has the same sentiment as a nazi program.
There is no program. They studied something (that already existed) looked at the stats and said, wow- it seems there is a correlation there.

1) Five states legalized abortion three years before Roe v. Wade. Crime started falling three years earlier in these states, with property crime (done by younger people) falling before violent crime.

2) After abortion was legalized, the availability of abortions differed dramatically across states. In some states like North Dakota and in parts of the deep South, it was virtually impossible to get an abortion even after Roe v. Wade. If one compares states that had high abortion rates in the mid 1970s to states that had low abortion rates in the mid 1970s, you see the following patterns with crime. For the period from 1973-1988, the two sets of states (high abortion states and low abortion states) have nearly identical crime patterns. Note, that this is a period before the generations exposed to legalized abortion are old enough to do much crime. So this is exactly what the Donohue-Levitt theory predicts. But from the period 1985-1997, when the post Roe cohort is reaching peak crime ages, the high abortion states see a decline in crime of 30% relative to the low abortion states. Our original data ended in 1997. If one updated the study, the results would be similar.)

3) All of the decline in crime from 1985-1997 experienced by high abortion states relative to low abortion states is concentrated among the age groups born after Roe v. Wade. For people born before abortion legalization, there is no difference in the crime patterns for high abortion and low abortion states, just as the Donohue-Levitt theory predicts.

4) When we compare arrest rates of people born in the same state, just before and just after abortion legalization, we once again see the identical pattern of lower arrest rates for those born after legalization than before.

5) The evidence from Canada, Australia, and Romania also support the hypothesis that abortion reduces crime.​

Avenger

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Just want to point out that it is, in fact, possible for people to move between states and/or countries, as evidenced by Miami, where you're better off ordering anything in Spanish instead of English because the workers don't typically speak English well

Wait why am I even posting

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
Just want to point out that it is, in fact, possible for people to move between states and/or countries, as evidenced by Miami, where you're better off ordering anything in Spanish instead of English because the workers don't typically speak English well

Wait why am I even posting

How does this even relate lol.

Arya

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
I like how after most of this thread dies all the edumacated people's jump in like June bugs on a hot august day

Last edited:

Arya

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Or the thread was over after last night and most people stopped caring about it.

Yeah but chuck and others continued on, it was like hey wait a sec , this isn't a thing anymore but apparently it still is

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yeah but chuck and others continued on, it was like hey wait a sec , this isn't a thing anymore but apparently it still is

I gave my two cents, as did many others. I feel as if I've contributed all I want to contribute and I'm sure many others feel the same.

Last edited: