• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DeadHerald

The only thing wrong with Pyro is that people don't know how to play Pyro efficiently.

Reactions: Ozone

Cylosis

Legendary Skial King
The only thing wrong with Pyro is that people don't know how to play Pyro efficiently.
No, people hate on Pyros because they have the potential to be just as effective without any skill.
It isn't about the kill you get, it's how you do it. Airblast the rocket or W+M1?

D

DeadHerald

No, people hate on Pyros because they have the potential to be just as effective without any skill.
It isn't about the kill you get, it's how you do it. Airblast the rocket or W+M1?

Well that's kind of the idea behind Pyro. In many ways it's like playing spy. A WMD, "Weapon of Mass Distraction". A bomb-pushing group tends to break down in it's stability when it finds itself on fire. But I think Pyro is much more effective when the player knows when and where to strike, rather than just running towards the enemy spamming airblast or W+M1. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that an effective pyro can turn an enemy on it's ear with a well timed ambush.

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Why I don't play pyro: Because I have standards.
But honestly, I don't play pyro just because of the frustration from seeing that all efforts are in vain, in general. You can try to be smart and talented, but pyro is usually very situational. Being limited by speed and the ability to only fare well in far-range... As soldier/demo, you can rocket/sticky jump into the fray faster, or pick off from a distance. As a scout, you can run up there, AND keep firing from afar effectively. Spy, you can cloak to get onto the lines. Pyro... You're just... There. Especially when there are no projectiles to reflect.
Too much mindless work for it to be rewarding to me. Airblasting is great, but no one does them, and the situation only pops up so often where it will be great. I appreciate the good pyros, the ones who can airblast the corners for stickies, extinguish medics, reflect rockets, Loch N Load, ARROWS... I appreciate them. They put effort into it. But the class in general is mindless shitwork, rarely any aiming (especially if there's no shotgun involved) at all... I rather play a class with difficult tactics, requires aiming, or really good thinking - not running around with a duct-taped down mouse 1 button hoping a spy is walking in front of you.

If you're a damn good pyro, message me up. I like pocketing the genuinely good pyros.
You have to be a woman, too.

D

DeadHerald

But honestly, I don't play pyro just because of the frustration from seeing that all efforts are in vain, in general. You can try to be smart and talented, but pyro is usually very situational. Being limited by speed and the ability to only fare well in far-range... As soldier/demo, you can rocket/sticky jump into the fray faster, or pick off from a distance. As a scout, you can run up there, AND keep firing from afar effectively. Spy, you can cloak to get onto the lines. Pyro... You're just... There. Especially when there are no projectiles to reflect.
Too much mindless work for it to be rewarding to me. Airblasting is great, but no one does them, and the situation only pops up so often where it will be great. I appreciate the good pyros, the ones who can airblast the corners for stickies, extinguish medics, reflect rockets, Loch N Load, ARROWS... I appreciate them. They put effort into it. But the class in general is mindless shitwork, rarely any aiming (especially if there's no shotgun involved) at all... I rather play a class with difficult tactics, requires aiming, or really good thinking - not running around with a duct-taped down mouse 1 button hoping a spy is walking in front of you.

If you're a damn good pyro, message me up. I like pocketing the genuinely good pyros.

You're doing it wrong.

StalinJr

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor

No aiming?
Sir, pick up the flare gun.

D

DeadHerald

Flare Gun? Porquois? Shotgun is the way to go, or Reserve Shooter. Puff'nSting's cousin, Puff'nShoot just hit town.

xTheosis

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor

And the Pyro's limited range is one of the reasons why it takes fucking skill to survive and destroy the enemy standing 2000 feet away showering barrages of grenades, 50 cal bullets and rockets. Yes, the Backburner is pretty much damn useless and cheap as fuck (when the pyro gets close enough) since you can't help your team by air-blasting but only greedy snobs use the Backburner.

Oh and nice try at the smart-ass "You have to be a woman, too" comment.

RisenDemon

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Well, if some of you were at the US29 server last night, you can see that I was owning people with a combination of the Degreaser, Detonator, and Axtinguisher. If they're too far, use the Detonator, if they're in your face, Degreaser with Axtinguisher combination will usually get the job done.
Keep in mind though, I'm really accurate with the Detonator and takes some time to use it EFFECTIVELY as with any other long range weapon.

antilles

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I like to defend, so I'll patrol the base with a Homewrecker. Backburner has it's uses, so I alternate between it and Flamethrower depending on what's going on. Even then, I feel there's no need for the extra loadout slots Valve just gave us.

Status
Not open for further replies.