zaf

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
I've been discussing the current ranking system with several regulars and we all agree that it's basically... useless.
All of the current top 10 players would in most eyes not even be considered good players, which is caused by the way you advance in rank.
Currently it's based on round wins, which unfortunately means even the most useless players spycrabbing in a corner or spamming M2 pyro's doing no damage will STILL advance up in rank, so long they're on the server playing.
So basically just like the previous ranking system, rank 1 is pretty much the guy who plays the most on the server, which just doesn't make it very competitive.

I'd guarantee making the ranking system a tad more competitive would increase gametime from many regulars, who might actually care about the rank.

It would be as simple as to change it into most overall damage, which still isn't very competitive but would still be a great improvement.
I'd suggest doing something like % damage done of hales health per round, which would make it extremely competitive and would work as K/D but vsh style.

Ideas are welcome

Sniffy

Uncharitable Spy
Top player is just AFK on the servers. It would be awesome if it was more competitive. 1+

Reactions: zaf

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Stat systems have always been notorious for rewarding those who play the most, as they always work from a cumulative point of view.
The other problem with stats working accurately with TF2 is the variety of play style from class to class.
I don't think you will ever find a truly accurate ranking system for any TF2 based game as there will always be a bias in there.

I'd suggest doing something like % damage done of hales health per round
You could also factor in length of time players actually survive and overall accuracy.

zaf

Stat systems have always been notorious for rewarding those who play the most, as they always work from a cumulative point of view.
The other problem with stats working accurately with TF2 is the variety of play style from class to class.
I don't think you will ever find a truly accurate ranking system for any TF2 based game as there will always be a bias in there.

You could also factor in length of time players actually survive and overall accuracy.
All true, however main objective in VSH is killing hale, so basically your job is do deal as much damage as you can. Pretty much all classes deal damage, even medics as they get damage from the ones they're healing.
Therefore i think either points or damage needs to be the main factor in rank. % damage done of hales health per round, while having it's downsides is the most accurate and competitive way imo. It even gives players who don't have a lot of time to play a fair chance, whilst showing who actually is doing the most for the team.

Factoring length of time players survive might encourage hiding and running away from hale without actually doing anything.
Overall accuracy would not make much sense either as playing heavy and other classes with a lot of inaccuracy/bullet spread would be absolute shit.

Again i think % damage of hales hp per round is best. Downsides such as completely new players joining and only playing 1 round where they do 10k could be removed by setting a requirement of playing atleast 10 rounds etc.

Last edited:

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
+1 for ranking it based on overall damage done. Feel like it would be easier to calculate than the % of Hale's hp (don't even know if the latter is possible with the current system)

zaf

+1 for ranking it based on overall damage done. Feel like it would be easier to calculate than the % of Hale's hp (don't even know if the latter is possible with the current system)
Yeah, even that would be an improvement.
% of Hale's HP would be amazing tho. It's literally just KD(Kills pr death), but VSH style with Damage pr death. It would give people with little freetime a chance aswell.

Yuuki

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
All true, however main objective in VSH is killing hale, so basically your job is do deal as much damage as you can. Pretty much all classes deal damage, even medics as they get damage from the ones they're healing.
Therefore i think either points or damage needs to be the main factor in rank. % damage done of hales health per round, while having it's downsides is the most accurate and competitive way imo. It even gives players who don't have a lot of time to play a fair chance, whilst showing who actually is doing the most for the team.

Factoring length of time players survive might encourage hiding and running away from hale without actually doing anything.
Overall accuracy would not make much sense either as playing heavy and other classes with a lot of inaccuracy/bullet spread would be absolute shit.

Again i think % damage of hales hp per round is best. Downsides such as completely new players joining and only playing 1 round where they do 10k could be removed by setting a requirement of playing atleast 10 rounds etc.
If you think dmg is the best then only the spys, soldiers, and demoknights are gonna be at the top as they can do 2k-6k in one round so that also wouldn't work too well

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If they are running and hiding they are not doing damage.
Overall accuracy would not make much sense either as playing heavy and other classes with a lot of inaccuracy/bullet spread would be absolute shit
It was just a general idea, as spamming bullets / rockets doesn't take much skill, but can rack up damage done.

Overall damage done would still end up being cumulative, you will find it will be the people who play the most will rank higher, If this is what you want then all well and good, it might even help keep people on the server longer, but won't actually be any indicator as to who is better at the game.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah, even that would be an improvement.
% of Hale's HP would be amazing tho. It's literally just KD(Kills pr death), but VSH style with Damage pr death. It would give people with little freetime a chance aswell.
You've got to be careful with that as well, someone who just plays 1 game for example, but has very high damage could rank at no1.

zaf

If they are running and hiding they are not doing damage.

Yeah and that's why we don't want to encourage more of that by settings a factor with survival time.

Thanks for your idea also, i guess we'll do a poll or something in the end so people can vote.

I also agree on overall damage being cumulative, but it's still way better than round wins. That's why i think % damage of hale's hp would remove the cumulative factor and make it more like a K/D sort of system.

Last edited:

zaf

You've got to be careful with that as well, someone who just plays 1 game for example, but has very high damage could rank at no1.
I already talked about that on my first reply to you and yes that is a downside, but it's fixable
"Downsides such as completely new players joining and only playing 1 round where they do 10k could be removed by setting a requirement of playing atleast 10 rounds etc."

zaf

If you think dmg is the best then only the spys, soldiers, and demoknights are gonna be at the top as they can do 2k-6k in one round so that also wouldn't work too well
That's just bullshit. There's good spys, good soldiers, good demoknights and there's the oppossite. Literally every class can do a lot of dmg, if the player is good.

Yuuki

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
That's just bullshit. There's good spys, good soldiers, good demoknights and there's the oppossite. Literally every class can do a lot of dmg, if the player is good.
Im mostly talking about NY Military Arena where theres always engis getting 1k and soldiers (good and bad) getting 1k or 2k

zaf

Im mostly talking about NY Military Arena where theres always engis getting 1k and soldiers (good and bad) getting 1k or 2k
So? They get that damage because they're good. I've seen medics doing 3k constantly, i've seen scouts do 3k constantly

Yuuki

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
So? They get that damage because they're good. I've seen medics doing 3k constantly, i've seen scouts do 3k constantly
no they just usually sit back and wait for crits all the time none of them do actual dmg during the round

zaf

no they just usually sit back and wait for crits all the time none of them do actual dmg during the round
Medics waiting for the last round? I've never seen that before and scouts? not really either usually the hale just has a hard time catching them and ends up with them last.
Sure there's gonna be a BFB scout waiting till the end, but they usually end up getting raged anyways.