Joshh

Mildly Menacing Medic
Download

This is vsh_horseshoe, a map I've been working on for about four days.

5934ceafd7200.jpg

5934ceb14ef21.jpg

5934ceaee9baf.jpg

5934ceb549dd7.jpg

Roofs are accessible by all classes. There are also spots for engineers, heavies, and snipers to hold.

Please tell me what you think! I would love suggestions on how to possibly improve the map! :sunglasses:

Slip

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
Looks a bit too small. You have a lot of hallways, too many imo. You should add some indoor rooms to make the map a bit larger.

Joshh

Mildly Menacing Medic
Looks a bit too small. You have a lot of hallways, too many imo. You should add some indoor rooms to make the map a bit larger.
Thank you! I had concerns that the map was too small and already had some idea of what to do.

Near the spawn there is this little hallway, it reaches too the other spawn and the middle of the map.

wBEdZ5s.jpg

I decided to delete the hallway and instead add a proper basement.

1uUZZ1K.jpg

Cubemaps still need to be built. Also, would medium medkit & medium metal be appropriate pickups for down here?

Reactions: Slip

Ed_

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Thank you! I had concerns that the map was too small and already had some idea of what to do.

Near the spawn there is this little hallway, it reaches too the other spawn and the middle of the map.

wBEdZ5s.jpg

I decided to delete the hallway and instead add a proper basement.

1uUZZ1K.jpg

Cubemaps still need to be built. Also, would medium medkit & medium metal be appropriate pickups for down here?
Put lil Medkits/ ammo in the open and put the larger ones in tighter areaS so it's high risk high reward

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Quite a lot of feedback
  • Needs a better skybox, currently it looks very boring
  • I'd change the environment light to be a light orange, bit more natural
  • Have you changed lighting on most props? It looks very odd in these places (1, 2, 3)
  • Change this prop maybe? It's a bit misleading since on some maps you can go inside it
  • Rather big, but move the sun - make it face the building, rather than come from behind it (this angle maybe)
  • Consider clipping the walls, I'm worried about pyros stood here airblasting
  • I don't like the placement of this light - looks strange next to the control point
  • Speed of the control point might need increasing considering the size of the map
  • Skybox visibility shows hallways from above near walls, screenshot
  • Think about maybe clipping edges of some props, like these or these
  • Props aren't solid when they should be - this prop, lights, doors, hose, stones (?), mops, poster
  • Raise health/ammo packs slightly, consider decals under them like some maps have
  • Disagree with Slip, I don't think there is too much inside, I think it's a perfect amount
  • Possibly add a way to get into the main room from below? Here to here maybe?
  • I really love how you've added this back-corridoor into the map, nice touch!
(?) - not sure if this is intentional or not, I've no major issue with it

Joshh

Mildly Menacing Medic
Quite a lot of feedback

• Needs a better skybox, currently it looks very boring

I'd change the environment light to be a light orange, bit more natural
    Have you changed lighting on most props? It looks very odd in these places (1, 2, 3)

Change this prop maybe? It's a bit misleading since on some maps you can go inside it
    Rather big, but move the sun - make it face the building, rather than come from behind it (this angle maybe)

Consider clipping the walls, I'm worried about pyros stood here airblasting
    I don't like the placement of this light - looks strange next to the control point
    Speed of the control point might need increasing considering the size of the map
    Skybox visibility shows hallways from above near walls, screenshot
    Think about maybe clipping edges of some props, like these or these
    Props aren't solid when they should be - this prop, lights, doors, hose, stones (?), mops, poster
    Raise health/ammo packs slightly, consider decals under them like some maps haveDisagree with Slip, I don't think there is too much inside, I think it's a perfect amount
    Possibly add a way to get into the main room from below? Here to here maybe?
    I really love how you've added this back-corridoor into the map, nice touch!
(?) - not sure if this is intentional or not, I've no major issue with it

Thank you for the feedback! I've actually been considering adding a new skybox, probably goldrush's or granary's. As for the non-solids they are intentional, small props like that shouldn't be able to hinder a players movement. Also, I am unsure as to what you mean by strange lighting?

As for slips suggestion, I have already implemented it and I love the result!

59366deef1b6c.jpg

Again, thank you! :sunglasses:

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
As for the non-solids they are intentional, small props like that shouldn't be able to hinder a players movement.
They shouldn't be intentional, you should clip them so that they are solid, but that players are moved out of the way.
So walking through a door, you shouldn't get stuck on the frame - the clip should move you straight through.
People don't like being able to go inside of a prop, it feels very odd since it's not like real life.

Also, I am unsure as to what you mean by strange lighting?
Props aren't being lit properly, take the inside of the container for example - it should be dark.
There is no light coming into the container and it is lit inside, same for the other props.
It's like they have been told to never have shadows on them.

As for slips suggestion, I have already implemented it and I love the result!
Publish a new version of the map and I will go through and review and have more feedback.

Joshh

Mildly Menacing Medic
Update! Thanks for all the feedback!

• Added metal fence above the wall, clipped top so players can't stand on it
  • Fixed lamps not casting shadows above them
  • Fixed shipping containers not casting shadows on themsleves
  • Added player clips to a few doors
  • The Hale now spawns inside a little hallway, disallowing him to immediately superjump to player area
  • Added new skybox
  • Changed floor textures in basement
  • Removed health and metal from under the bridge
  • Gave the basement a new soundscape
  • Put nobuild box ontop of pickups to prevent greifing
5937382ccf758.jpg

59373834782c5.jpg

5937382bd89a2.jpg

Download

Last edited:

Joshh

Mildly Menacing Medic
Small update! :sunglasses:
  • Changed all props form prop_dynamic to prop_static, increased frames
  • Added shadow_control to level
  • Added small medkit ontop of shack
  • Prevented some props from casting shadows on themselves
  • Added new observer points
  • All observer points are now in soundscapes
This is also probably the last update I will do for now, that is unless someone brings up a huge problem.

Download

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
As far as the medium ammo packs go I think VSH forces all ammo packs into small sized ones.

So if you want the effect of a medium ammo pack you'd have to place I think 3 small ammo packs to get a similar amount of ammo to a medium ammo pack

Health seems to remain unaffected

Pedro the fabulous

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Master Mapper
As far as the medium ammo packs go I think VSH forces all ammo packs into small sized ones.

So if you want the effect of a medium ammo pack you'd have to place I think 3 small ammo packs to get a similar amount of ammo to a medium ammo pack

Health seems to remain unaffected
Small ammo packs give 20% of ammo, small health packs give 20.5%
Medium packs give 50%/50%
Large packs give 100%/100%

Ammo packs are indeed forced to small in VSH except in the first round of a new map (where there's no hale).