Yuki Nagato

Uncharitable Spy
These things are VAC proof as it doesn't even look for them, they don't come with an aimbot either which makes judging a demo down to how well someone hides it. I'd say making people use default on trivial custom things is a very minor trade off to prevent them.

Bottiger

Administrator
Ok this looks very bad. I think we need to block this even if it means disabling mods.

OLyAevm.jpg

Yuki Nagato

Uncharitable Spy
+1, I don't use mods.

You will probably get a lot of complaints though.

Perhaps the most popular ones out there could just be white listed and players given a choice of pre approved skins if they still insist? They might not get their favorite one but they could have some sort of skin. Then the whitelist can just be updated from download popularity numbers and not people endlessly asking for their skins to be approved.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
+1, the only mod I use silences the fanfare that plays when a Machina gets a double-kill (yes, I made a VPK solely to replace a single sound clip with a null WAV) due to the sound overlapping bug that Valve never patched (I mean seriously, how hard is it for Valve to change it to an If Then statement rather than 'For every kill after 1')

Bottiger

Administrator
All regular servers will switch to sv_pure 1 on map change with the following whitelist.

sound\... any

materials\models\items\... any
materials\models\flag\... any
materials\console\... any
materials\sprites\... any
materials\signs\... any
materials\hud\... any

// viewmodels
materials\models\weapons\v_baseball\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_bat\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_bonesaw\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_bottle\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_builder\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_cigarette_case\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_fireaxe\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_grenadelauncher\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_knife\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_machete\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_medigun\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_minigun\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_pda\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_pda_engineer\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_pistol\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_revolver\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_rocketlauncher\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_sapper\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_scattergun\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_shotgun\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_shovel\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_smg\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_sniperrifle\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_stickybomb_defender\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_stickybomb_launcher\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_syringe_gun\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_toolbox\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_watch\... any
materials\models\weapons\v_wrench\... any

models\weapons\v_models\... any

// sprays
materials\temp\... any
materials\vgui\logos\... any

// blacklist

materials\water\... trusted_source
materials\wood\... trusted_source
materials\concrete\... trusted_source
materials\metal\... trusted_source
materials\nature\... trusted_source

materials\hud\scope_sniper_ll.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_ll_dx80.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_lr.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_lr_dx80.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_ul.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_ul_dx80.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_ur.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_ur_dx80.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_alt_ll.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_alt_ll_dx80.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_alt_lr.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_alt_lr_dx80.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_alt_ul.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_alt_ul_dx80.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_alt_ur.vmt trusted_source
materials\hud\scope_sniper_alt_ur_dx80.vmt trusted_source

sound\player\footsteps\... trusted_source
sound\player\spy_uncloak.wav trusted_source
sound\player\spy_cloak.wav trusted_source
sound\player\spy_disguise.wav trusted_source
sound\player\spy_uncloak_feigndeath.wav trusted_source

Yuki Nagato

Uncharitable Spy
Just a thought...

"materials\models\items\... any" would leave ammo and med packs visible. That can reveal players indirectly if they're seen picked up through the wall. A sniper at range for example would immediately know what openings to look at for a likely shot, especially on larger maps. Although the advantage would still apply to any class as regards tipping them off an area is occupied. It might be better to restrict it too.

Last edited:

Jusey1

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
The fact that Skial is doing this has caused me to un-fave all of their servers. I play on community servers because of using my custom skins and if I can't use them ,then there's no point of me playing on the server. It's as bad as removing "Halloween mode" from a server, thusly restricting Halloween cosmetics.

Plus I don't see why one would do this anyways. I've only seen one person use wall-hacks in a Skial server within my hundreds of hours playing on them. It's very rare and a simple voteban would take care of them honestly. Heck, what I would recommend (if possible) is to code in the voteban system so they work on all Skial servers, rather than just one. This way, the guy will get banned and cannot jump to another Skial server.

As of right now, until Skial gets this mess sorted out in a more positive way; I won't be on their servers anymore myself.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
I would say allowing custom mods is what gives Skial an advantage over other servers, I'd say a blacklist system is probably the best you could do.

Bottiger

Administrator
Just like you wouldn't play on servers without mods, I believe people wouldn't play on servers that allow wallhacking without the fear of being banned by VAC.

There are probably far more wallhackers than the ones dumb enough to trace people behind walls or invisible spies. These wallhacks are really easy to install and the 2 mentioned here have over 15,000 downloads.

If you want to see how easy it is to use.

http://www.filedropper.com/mathackv6

Just unpack into custom folder as is.

Start a server
sv_cheats 1
mat_reloadallmaterials
sv_cheats 0
disconnect

After that it'll load on any sv_pure 0 server.

Votebans have always been global and it doesn't solve the problem. When the whole server decides someone has been wallhacking, the damage has already been done. But really, the best solution would be to ask valve to disable ignorez if the original material doesn't have it. You can still use mods on our non-vanilla servers.

So far we haven't noticed a large drop in population so we are probably going to continue with this.

Last edited:

Yuki Nagato

Uncharitable Spy
The fact that Skial is doing this has caused me to un-fave all of their servers. I play on community servers because of using my custom skins and if I can't use them ,then there's no point of me playing on the server. It's as bad as removing "Halloween mode" from a server, thusly restricting Halloween cosmetics.

Plus I don't see why one would do this anyways. I've only seen one person use wall-hacks in a Skial server within my hundreds of hours playing on them. It's very rare and a simple voteban would take care of them honestly. Heck, what I would recommend (if possible) is to code in the voteban system so they work on all Skial servers, rather than just one. This way, the guy will get banned and cannot jump to another Skial server.

As of right now, until Skial gets this mess sorted out in a more positive way; I won't be on their servers anymore myself.

Trust me you've...realized one person was wall hacking, but the use of mat hacks is likely rampant especially since VAC isn't inerested in them. Very few people are stupid enough to literally wall trace and show the classic giveaway of it, they look at corners until the players are actually visible then just make it seem like lightning reactions and good map sense. I can already name you regular players who seem to have "lost their touch" or started playing classes they've never bothered with since this was done, but that's not allowed and would just be me speculating anyway. My instinct is that this caused it though.

Jusey1

Oh believe me. I know how easy it is to do this sort of things. I'm a coder/game designer myself and a modder for a variety of games for a long time now. And I know there's probably a lot more people out there who does uses said wall-hacks, I was just only speaking from my own experience. However, I'm still rather picky about how I play my games and I hate the idea of playing TF2 without the mods I do have. (Which honestly isn't too much but they have a great impact on me still; and that's just me. I'm a little crazy in de' head).

But until a more positive solution is made, I'll probably stay away from Skial servers now. Which I know there is a possibility of having more positive solutions, we just hadn't quite found them yet OR it's up to Valve to do it, not us. (Then again, it should be very possible to apply them onto servers via server-coding, as I call it, but it honestly would require a lot of trail and errors + work to figure it out. Coding is like that, after-all).

Bottiger

Administrator
You are entitled to your own opinion, but as you just admitted, "that's just me. I'm a little crazy in de' head". Most people would not trade mods for highly accessible and VAC-proof wallhacks.

Thank you for your feedback, but I think it is the overwhelmingly correct decision to remove these wallhacks. Most people don't use mods, and having wallhacking so accessible has a negative impact on all players.

I am fairly sure that only Valve can fix this, but you are free to investigate. I believe the files are scanned client-side (as it should be because there are thousands of them) so there is no way for us to detect ignorez in a file.

It would probably be more productive if you asked Valve to fix the issue properly rather than just joining whatever random server left has sv_pure 0, because they will become infested with mathackers.

Jusey1

I'm a multi-doing person. I'll be investigating into this myself while also reporting the problem to Valve, quite a bit, and hopefully get them to fix it as a whole. However, I'll just be playing on sv_pure 0 servers when I'm in-game. As I've said, my experience is still rare with them.

Bottiger

Administrator
The VPK probably doesn't work. I think I know what the problem is.

You are trying to use Barehands Scout - Paysus Reanimations.vpk but the Linux vpk command doesn't work on files with spaces. I will try replacing the spaces.

You should just remove the spaces for now.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The VPK probably doesn't work. I think I know what the problem is.

You are trying to use Barehands Scout - Paysus Reanimations.vpk but the Linux vpk command doesn't work on files with spaces. I will try replacing the spaces.

Sounds good, I'll tell him to give it another whirl when you finish fiddling around with it. Thanks for looking into it.