Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Truces should be at the end of every surf map. A lot of people don't follow it since it's not on the rules so is there any way to put it up and enforce it?

HeadfulOfSandvich

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
!god makes you take no damage and no knockback, which means that rocket jumper/sticky jumper will be rendered useless. !Buddha allows you to take knockback while still not taking any damage, allowing people to actually opt for regular launchers instead of jumpers (relevant for soldier because of those who, like myself, use the original). Besides, both of those nullify the idea of the jail, which is placed there so that people who mess up a surf or aren't that good at surfing in general can just mindlessly deathmatch. I'd instead recommend, to remedy the aforementioned problem of spawncamping, place a short timer (5 seconds or so) of invulnerability on people upon spawning. A lot of surf servers do this, and it pretty much works for everyone. Those who just wanna surf can get out of spawn before toe invulnerability wears off, but can't abuse it in the jail because it wears off by the time u get there. Those who opt for the rocket/sticky jumper can wait out the invulnerability time in spawn, then use their jumper to be on their way. On top of all this, for the 5-second invulnerability time, you can still deal damage, allowing you to clear your spawn of any spawncampers who happen to be hanging around hoping to catch some1 unawares. I'll see if I can find the invulnerability-upon-spawning plugin and post it here if I do, because this really is the best way to remedy this.

HeadfulOfSandvich

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
you get your weapons taken away, remember?
Who wants that though? Have you never actually BEEN in the jail on a surf server? I think some1 is sad they didn't manage to get out of spawn to get there *nods*
Seriously though, the jail is half the fun of a surf server, and without it we may as well just be mirroring the SurfiT! community, and the only reasons I don't surf there are because they HAVE !god on everyone, and because there IS no jail, and therefore no reason to use weapons. Honestly, did you even read my post after I said I didn't like your suggestion? My suggestion accomplishes the same goals as what you want (no spawncamping), but still allows room for others to do what they want. Just because you don't want to use the jumpers, doesn't mean someone else won't want to.

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Who wants that though? Have you never actually BEEN in the jail on a surf server? I think some1 is sad they didn't manage to get out of spawn to get there *nods*
Seriously though, the jail is half the fun of a surf server, and without it we may as well just be mirroring the SurfiT! community, and the only reasons I don't surf there are because they HAVE !god on everyone, and because there IS no jail, and therefore no reason to use weapons. Honestly, did you even read my post after I said I didn't like your suggestion? My suggestion accomplishes the same goals as what you want (no spawncamping), but still allows room for others to do what they want. Just because you don't want to use the jumpers, doesn't mean someone else won't want to.
Im sorry, but I go to a surf server to SURF.
And, they get their weapons taken away AFTER they type !god so if they want to fight they don't have to type !god.
God, I think "some1" didn't read the first post.

Reactions: Giildy

GhostDragon505

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I'd instead recommend, to remedy the aforementioned problem of spawncamping, place a short timer (5 seconds or so) of invulnerability on people upon spawning.
this, by far, seems to be the most reasonable solution since it will allow people to exit spawn unharmed and they can still kill each other within the jail

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
this, by far, seems to be the most reasonable solution since it will allow people to exit spawn unharmed and they can still kill each other within the jail
you can still be killed while surfing by snipers or anyone with a gun really

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
"Oh i got stuck in the jail, guess i'll just kill myself instead of having sort of a standoff with anyone else who failed just like I did."
that sucks the fun out of it in my eyes
I thought the fun was trying to get to the end........
And what Cryos said.

GhostDragon505

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I thought the fun was trying to get to the end........
And what Cryos said.
tell me what you do after you get to the end. Do it all over for an entire hour until the map changes where you repeat the same thing you did but in a different layout with basically no fear of faliure? And to the on/off godmode, how many people do you know will turn off godmode? odds are people will go into the jail, turn their godmode only to have one guy keep his on and kill them off. then that'll cause problems and people will complain about that.
understand that while the suggestion has good intentions, it could also cause more problems than it solves which is why instead of a +1 to either !god or !buddha, i'd +1 on Headfull's suggestion since it eliminates the one bigger factor(spawncamping) or at least makes it less possible to do

Ruelel

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
how about we get REAL surf maps instead of combat surf maps? so we don't have to deal with jail bs

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
tell me what you do after you get to the end. Do it all over for an entire hour until the map changes where you repeat the same thing you did but in a different layout with basically no fear of faliure? And to the on/off godmode, how many people do you know will turn off godmode? odds are people will go into the jail, turn their godmode only to have one guy keep his on and kill them off. then that'll cause problems and people will complain about that.
understand that while the suggestion has good intentions, it could also cause more problems than it solves which is why instead of a +1 to either !god or !buddha, i'd +1 on Headfull's suggestion since it eliminates the one bigger factor(spawncamping) or at least makes it less possible to do
even if I did finish the map once, there is NO sure fire way to be SURE to beat it again. you can always try it with different classes and speeds.
And, I don't understand the part about jail. if people have god mode, they'll be civilians. So just don't aim at the civilians... I really don't under stand. And yes, Headfall's suggestion was good, but i think this'd be better.

GhostDragon505

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
even if I did finish the map once, there is NO sure fire way to be SURE to beat it again. you can always try it with different classes and speeds.
And, I don't understand the part about jail. if people have god mode, they'll be civilians. So just don't aim at the civilians... I really don't under stand. And yes, Headfall's suggestion was good, but i think this'd be better.
is there something i missed? cause last time i checked, godmode just makes you invincible and doesn't take weapons away