• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

JCarthago

Scarcely Lethal Noob
(1st post yeah!)

Hello everyone,

a few days ago a guy called TF2PublicFerret logged in to Dustbowl+ EU an did a live commentary. It was really fun, i think mainly because he had a quite pleasing voice (at least for a non english native). His commentary is now live on youtube (not allowed to post links so far - search for his name). Just as an info for everyone no matter if you just got interested or wanted to relive ur actions.

Bye JC

PS: He said he wont do it again on skial-Servers because of our idle mechanism. I would really love to be part of this again. Maybe there is something you can do? ... and maybe there isnt.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
PublicFarret already made a post and Bottiger responded

Spectators were always high priority to be kicked as people may actually want to play and you are taking up their spot.

The AFK plugin was replaced because it did not work properly all the time. If you don't want to be kicked then you need to do what you just found out. There is no other way for us to tell if you are actually AFK spectating or not.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
I honestly don't see what the big deal is. His videos the past 2 months barely break 50 views. Most of them don't.

He is just being over dramatic because he can't sit in AFK all day now. I say good, now he can't take up a spot being in spectate, causing one team to have more players.

JCarthago

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Thx for the infos. I'm a little sad, too.
It's not dramatic it was just really fun to listen to while playing. It was not about the youtube videos.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
He kind of is
"Skials new AFK has forced me to abandon their servers"

I mean sorry our AFK system doesn't let you sit in spectate anymore, it actually forces you to play the game.

T-Wayne

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
I really don't understand your hate towards him. He is a european player, so I guess that's why most of you guys never heard of him. I think he does not deserve all the hate you put on him, as he has always been a very regular visitor to Skial (yes he was sitting in spec, but he always attracted people) and even tho his videos have not much views, everyone was enjoying his commentaries. He was always asking wether he can comment or wether it will annoy players so he would visit another Skial server.
In my opinion it is not the popularity that makes someone special, it's the personality and he has it. Even tho people like Pewdiepie, who I guess everyone knows, have million views per day, I think he is crap since he just forces himself to be fun to watch. Hopefully you catch that point.

I respect your opinions, mostly the point about him locking up a player spot as spectator and the introduction of the AFK system to prevent idling players, but I don't like how you treat someone who has been loyal to Skial over the past years and advertising to play there.

Anyways, yea the topic is not about Ferret here, and since he isn't going to be on Skial anymore the topic can be closed aswell. But I felt like I should make these points above clear. Thanks to anyone who respects and tries to understand what I tried to point out at.

Reactions: Zeek

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Oh does chatting work? That's a lot easier than changing teams, I'll have to try that. If that works then it might be quite viable to stay.
If you press the mouse one or mouse two buttons you switch between players whom you are speccing, or you can press space to go between first person, third person, and free roam spectator cameras.

Doing this will bypass the afk kicker, as it determines you as still active

TF2PublicFerret

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
The left and right mouse buttons and space though do not stop the 9 minute rule from kicking in. I was in a reasonably full upward server earlier and the chat system seemed to satisfy the AFK requirements there too.

Bottiger

Administrator
The left and right mouse buttons and space though do not stop the 9 minute rule from kicking in. I was in a reasonably full upward server earlier and the chat system seemed to satisfy the AFK requirements there too.

They do. If you are not a donator or admin you only get 3 minutes.

The system is simple. Everyone has 60 seconds to get out of spawn before being moved to spectator. 90 seconds if you've moved from your spawn position.

If you have been afk for 3 minutes (3x the amount for admins and donators) starting from when you started AFKing (not when you were moved to spectate unlike the old plugin) then you have a chance to be kicked.

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
Are the "Farewell Dustbowl" videos old footage before the new system was put in? I never saw AFK system prompts ever come up.

TF2PublicFerret

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
No they were shot at the time the new AFK system was put into place. What was edited out was me changing to a team and then back again.

Twilight

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Does he actually play I'm not watching a video of a person just casting and speccing a pub makes zero sense