PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Just bought Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9" 16GB as a gift for my wife on her birthday. Wanted to ask if anyone has ever had a chance to play with it. What do you think about it?
I mean there is some controversial information walking around. For instance, people are saying it has no USB ports even though specifications to this tablet clearly state that there is USB 2.0 H/S port.

Anyhow.. Any thought? Opinions? Suggestions? Funny jokes? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Xel'Naga

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
This is hilarious, but I can't quite find the relevance to the thread here. :P

As for the tablet, I've heard the Tab 8.9 is pretty solid. Android Honeycomb is pretty slick, despite not being released into the AOSP. I've been wanting to pick up the 10.1 version, myself.

Osprey

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Just bought Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9" 16GB as a gift for my wife on her birthday. Wanted to ask if anyone has ever had a chance to play with it. What do you think about it?
I mean there is some controversial information walking around. For instance, people are saying it has no USB ports even though specifications to this tablet clearly state that there is USB 2.0 H/S port.

Anyhow.. Any thought? Opinions? Suggestions? Funny jokes? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My $0.02: Having used both the iPad 1 and 2, I don't see why you would buy any other tablet. You can probably pick up an iPad 1 for the price of a Galaxy Tab, right? I have a Droid II phone and I don't see what's so great about Android...

Also, if she's going to use it for ebooks, get a separate Kindle--they're perfect for reading. You can't now, and wont in the future, find better prices or selection than from Amazon. I can't live without mine.

Reactions: Anya and Doki

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
My $0.02: Having used both the iPad 1 and 2, I don't see why you would buy any other tablet. You can probably pick up an iPad 1 for the price of a Galaxy Tab, right? I have a Droid II phone and I don't see what's so great about Android...

Also, if she's going to use it for ebooks, get a separate Kindle--they're perfect for reading. You can't now, and wont in the future, find better prices or selection than from Amazon. I can't live without mine.
1. I hate Mac.
2. According to Cnet, Galaxy Tab is really close to iPad2 (even displays... iPad has 9.1" and Galaxy - 8.9". So why would I pay extra $100 for iPad? Just for the name? No thank you.
3. Galaxy Tab has Amazon Kindle application which incorporates the biggest advantage of Amazon Fire - millions of books. I was thinking about buying Kindle Fire, but I decided to buy full tablet since my wife is gonna be using it for work as well.
4. 10.1" is way too big. 8.9" is just awesome.

So from the lack of responses I assume nobody has actually used this tablet, right?

Reactions: P Lash

RisenDemon

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
So from the lack of responses I assume nobody has actually used this tablet, right?
You're too technically savvy for any of us to even remotely comprehend the basic specifications.
Or we're too poor to afford anything like it.

Doki

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor

kindle + IRC = free awesome books all the motherfucking time
If you buy books or you just want to get back into reading, kindles are incredible

Reactions: Osprey

[TC]CreepingDeath

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

I'm on the other side of that fence. My wife has an iPad 2 and the only thing I really find cool about it is Garage Band. I have a Droid 3 and LOVE Android to death. I had a Droid 1 that once it started getting a little long in the tooth I rooted it and started running different ROMs with overclocked kernels on it. All the things I like from iOS are in Android and Android has more things that I like (like widgets, amongst other things).

Osprey

Contributor
I'm on the other side of that fence. My wife has an iPad 2 and the only thing I really find cool about it is Garage Band. I have a Droid 3 and LOVE Android to death. I had a Droid 1 that once it started getting a little long in the tooth I rooted it and started running different ROMs with overclocked kernels on it. All the things I like from iOS are in Android and Android has more things that I like (like widgets, amongst other things).

You do other things than just going on the Internet--there's gaming but we're talking about tablets here--with your computers? :troll:

(cYs) Del Piero

Contributor
I don't see the point of a tablet in first place. If I need something for to go I would pick a laptop over a table and if I need computer for at home I would either use a laptop or a desktop.
I don't know why people buy tablets.
Laptops are just a lot better than tablets. Everything I could do on a tablet I can do on a laptop but not vice versa. Working is better, gaming is beter, watching a movie is better, checking the news is better, organizing photos is better. What's good about a tablet?

Reactions: P Lash and Osprey

Osprey

Contributor
I don't see the point of a table in first place. If I need something for to go I would pick a laptop over a table and if I need computer for at home I would either use a laptop or a desktop.
Laptops are just a lot better than tablets. Everything I could do on a table I can do on a laptop but not vice versa. Working is better, gaming is beter, watching a movie is better, checking the news is better, organizing photos is better. What's good about a tablet?

If you don't have enough vertical space... :trollexcited:

Roman

Banned
Contributor
I just use Anonymouse for books. But I carn't reed.

Be glad it's not an HP Touchpad.

P Lash

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
I don't see the point of a tablet in first place. If I need something for to go I would pick a laptop over a table and if I need computer for at home I would either use a laptop or a desktop.
Laptops are just a lot better than tablets. Everything I could do on a tablet I can do on a laptop but not vice versa. Working is better, gaming is beter, watching a movie is better, checking the news is better, organizing photos is better. What's good about a tablet?
This.
I consider Tablets completely pointless. What's the point of buying a tablet if you already have a laptop and a good enough smartphone?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The same thing desktop users had been saying before they got used to laptops :) Compactness, swype feature, 3G/4G (access to the web everywhere), almost the same functionality as laptops, variety of apps, twice longer battery's life - that what makes tablets extremely attractive. And Microsoft knows they've lost this market and it will be really hard to get in.

Plus, do you know that you waste like 10% of battery's charge every time you power on the laptop? This is not the case with tablets... :D

[TC]CreepingDeath

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
You do other things than just going on the Internet--there's gaming but we're talking about tablets here--with your computers? :troll:
Actually, yeah, I actually do non-Intarwebnetz stuff on my computers. I record music (whenever the hell I have time). I do productivity stuff (spreadsheets, Word documents, etc.) and the occasional Photoshopping.

As far as phones and tablets go, I just feel that the wishlist list for iOS is the feature list for Android. :D

Reactions: Rvsz

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The same thing desktop users had been saying before they got used to laptops :) Compactness, swype feature, 3G/4G (access to the web everywhere), almost the same functionality as laptops, variety of apps, twice longer battery's life - that what makes tablets extremely attractive. And Microsoft knows they've lost this market and it will be really hard to get in.

Plus, do you know that you waste like 10% of battery's charge every time you power on the laptop? This is not the case with tablets... :D
My laptop (I use it for gaming, as well) can last, like, 7 and a half hours on stealth mode with the non-gaming graphics card.