Pengy

Legendary Skial King
Zelda looks amazing. Happy with Splatoon 2, confused but intrigued about the Mario game, most of the other software titles I was neutral to. On the whole, kinda mediocre in my opinion, but a lot of potential to follow through. Definitely seems to me like they're Splatoon-ing their entire console and releasing it too early. I mean, there were 3 launch titles discussed, and the two other major games are coming in Summer and Holiday? I kinda think they should just push the console back a bit to make sure it's launching with a quality library of AAA titles.

Anyone have any idea what they were talking about with the "smart-device" online system?

Party Chocobo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
C2BpWWkVEAIHM8U.png

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Zelda looks amazing. Happy with Splatoon 2, confused but intrigued about the Mario game, most of the other software titles I was neutral to. On the whole, kinda mediocre in my opinion, but a lot of potential to follow through. Definitely seems to me like they're Splatoon-ing their entire console and releasing it too early. I mean, there were 3 launch titles discussed, and the two other major games are coming in Summer and Holiday? I kinda think they should just push the console back a bit to make sure it's launching with a quality library of AAA titles.

Anyone have any idea what they were talking about with the "smart-device" online system?
That whole thing was amazing, except for the one translator he sounded like he was having a hard time
The smart-device online system is just extra interactivity with friends over your phone.

shoooooooooooooooo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
i thought it was kinda eh
but then again most of the titles they talked about didn't interest me in the slightest

glad for no region lock though

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
I honestly wonder what exactly the differences between the Wii U version and Switch version of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be

Last edited:

Party Chocobo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The composer for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the one from Chrono Cross/Trigger and Xenogears along with Ace doing the music again

I'm so fucking excited for GOTY 2017

Sir Cakez

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
The announcements were kinda mediocre TBH

I'm gonna be picking up Zelda for Wii U though, probably not getting a Switch until more game release dates and info are released

Pengy

Legendary Skial King
I do really think it's funny that Nintendo's trying to push paid online services after showing time and time again that they have no idea how to properly implement online (exception being Splatoon). It's very transparent that their free period is just to prove that they can actually do good online. And if they do succeed, the problem becomes having no games that actually use online. I mean, Wii U had what, three (major games at least)? I'm hardly inclined to spend an additional 60 to play Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart.

What they should really do is have a Netflix style platform for their back catalog. For x amount of monies per month you get both the ability to play new games online and the ability to play tons of back catalog Nintendo games stretching as far back as the NES era. Then even if you're only gonna play Splatoon 2, at least you can justify if by also gaining access to games like LTTP and Donkey Kong Country.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I do really think it's funny that Nintendo's trying to push paid online services after showing time and time again that they have no idea how to properly implement online (exception being Splatoon). It's very transparent that their free period is just to prove that they can actually do good online. And if they do succeed, the problem becomes having no games that actually use online. I mean, Wii U had what, three (major games at least)? I'm hardly inclined to spend an additional 60 to play Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart.

What they should really do is have a Netflix style platform for their back catalog. For x amount of monies per month you get both the ability to play new games online and the ability to play tons of back catalog Nintendo games stretching as far back as the NES era. Then even if you're only gonna play Splatoon 2, at least you can justify if by also gaining access to games like LTTP and Donkey Kong Country.
Having paid online implies that they're gonna try to make sure it's not shitty. Almost every time they've implemented online into their games it's pretty decent, the issue is that they stick to peer to peer connections for the most part.
The problem won't become that until we know how many of their games use online, we don't know that yet. Don't make assumptions until the console is out.

Sir Cakez

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Yeah the paid online is kind of shitty. It might be super good but still, paying to play online when you've already payed 300 bucks for the console and then 60 dollars per game is pretty ridiculous when games are so cheap and free to play online on PC.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yeah the paid online is kind of shitty. It might be super good but still, paying to play online when you've already payed 300 bucks for the console and then 60 dollars per game is pretty ridiculous when games are so cheap and free to play online on PC.
paying 300 for the console isn't gonna matter that much when paid online is a thing anyway because it isn't gonna be paid online until fall.
That PC argument isn't a good one to use btw, you can't play online Nintendo games on pc can you? Emulation is a thing but it would take years and years to get a stable switch emulator going, 3ds and Wii U emulators are very far from being stable.

Pengy

Legendary Skial King
paying 300 for the console isn't gonna matter that much when paid online is a thing anyway because it isn't gonna be paid online until fall.
That PC argument isn't a good one to use btw, you can't play online Nintendo games on pc can you? Emulation is a thing but it would take years and years to get a stable switch emulator going, 3ds and Wii U emulators are very far from being stable.
The problem isn't necessarily paid online (though I think it's a scummy practice that should die, long live the PC Master Race), it's the fact that on launch, there aren't any games that use the online functionality (yet). Yeah, you can get Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart a bit down the road, same with FIFA, but that's the other problem. Why spend a monthly/yearly online fee to play 1-3 games? I fucking loved Splatoon, but I don't consider it to be a sole justifiable reason for an additional payment. Same goes for Splatoon 2.

Now you're right - you can only play Nintendo games on Nintendo systems, or on emulators 5-10 years down the line. Nintendo's great if you only want to play Nintendo games. I mean, if they're aiming for more of a niche market, then they're doing fine. If they want to actively compete with Microsoft and Sony, which the paid online model implies, they need more games to justify said model. Nobody's going to switch to Switch if they can't play Overwatch, or Battlefield One. Don't get me wrong - Splatoon 2 looks awesome. But if that's going to be the only new game to use online? Not gonna be drawing a large crowd.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The problem isn't necessarily paid online (though I think it's a scummy practice that should die, long live the PC Master Race), it's the fact that on launch, there aren't any games that use the online functionality (yet). Yeah, you can get Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart a bit down the road, same with FIFA, but that's the other problem. Why spend a monthly/yearly online fee to play 1-3 games? I fucking loved Splatoon, but I don't consider it to be a sole justifiable reason for an additional payment. Same goes for Splatoon 2.

Now you're right - you can only play Nintendo games on Nintendo systems, or on emulators 5-10 years down the line. Nintendo's great if you only want to play Nintendo games. I mean, if they're aiming for more of a niche market, then they're doing fine. If they want to actively compete with Microsoft and Sony, which the paid online model implies, they need more games to justify said model. Nobody's going to switch to Switch if they can't play Overwatch, or Battlefield One. Don't get me wrong - Splatoon 2 looks awesome. But if that's going to be the only new game to use online? Not gonna be drawing a large crowd.
Why does it matter if it launches with games that don't have online *there are fuck tons more games that are coming out launch day that Nintendo didn't mention btw* the online isn't a paid service until fall.

Pengy

Legendary Skial King
Why does it matter if it launches with games that don't have online *there are fuck tons more games that are coming out launch day that Nintendo didn't mention btw* the online isn't a paid service until fall.
Because I'd want to see if the online's good right off the bat. And I'd like to play more than just FIFA.

Sir Cakez

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
It doesn't matter that much if paid online is being delayed a couple months because it's still gonna be there.
I don't understand why Nintendo games not being on PC isn't a good comparison.

I don't really want to argue over this because I'm still hyped, just think there are a few things that could have been better. And I don't want to fight.