AfireAzuaki

Epic Skial Regular
Not much writing in Social Studies?? Ack. That doesn't seem right...anyhow, could you write notes anyway? Does your teacher talk a lot? If so, ask if you could record the class. I have some students who will bring in little pocket recorders on the days that I 'lecture' and they write notes in class and then read over them again while listening to the recording.
Let's jsut say more talking than writing i guess. Or it seem to me

bunnyf00d

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
But how would i know if we're gonna go over it or not?
What do you mean? If you ask your teachers to help you make a little study guide for their class each week, I'm sure they'd have some sort of idea of what they were going to cover.

AfireAzuaki

Epic Skial Regular
What do you mean? If you ask your teachers to help you make a little study guide for their class each week, I'm sure they'd have some sort of idea of what they were going to cover.

:eek:
atm, there is nothing we're doing in ss
RECAPPING AGAIN FOR ALL READING,

I am doing a research paper that counts for both reading and ss

Idk what i'm doing in ss next week :3

bunnyf00d

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
:eek:
atm, there is nothing we're doing in ss
RECAPPING AGAIN FOR ALL READING,

I am doing a research paper that counts for both reading and ss

Idk what i'm doing in ss next week :3

Just ask your teacher Monday morning and don't stress out about it til then :)

Luckyboxes

Wicked Nasty Engineer
I am asian, Problem?

Rewrite as in like the important details? sometimes in class, we gotta take notes on what the students research from books and then teacher's
then i am confused which is accurate

So you want techniques eh? Repetition has always worked for me. tl;dr alert scroll to bottom if you want.

Learning by repetition is one of the best ways to study. Even if you think you learn easier by listening you should try repetition. As the name implies this method basically means writing/reading/listening to important points over and over again until you get it.

But first, you need to know how to take notes and organize them properly. You can't just willy nilly write down anything on a sheet of paper and expect to absorb it later. I'd be surprised if your teachers haven't given you basic outlines on how to do this yet. If you don't know how I can advise you.

At any rate, say you are studying social studies. You went to class, you listened to the lecture, you took notes but something doesn't stick. Your first step here would be to review your notes and to re-read the book section. Compare the two for any holes. I find it useful to highlight while I read.

As you are doing this you should start picking new tidbits of information. Read your book, write down your notes, read your book, write down the notes. Etc. etc. For me personally writing down the important points is critical to the way I learn.

By the end of this you should realize how inadequate your in class notes were and hopefully learned quite a bit extra.

Summary:

Go to class take notes
Go home/library read book, highlight, take notes on important points
Learning is complete
/profit

Sinnx

Wicked Nasty Engineer
I am asian, Problem?

Rewrite as in like the important details? sometimes in class, we gotta take notes on what the students research from books and then teacher's
then i am confused which is accurate

yea, like important notes, you can aslo rewrite in a way that it's easier for you to understand and read thru. i always find that when i rewrite then later that night. i start remembering and understanding the notes

AfireAzuaki

Epic Skial Regular
So you want techniques eh? Repetition has always worked for me. tl;dr alert scroll to bottom if you want.

Learning by repetition is one of the best ways to study. Even if you think you learn easier by listening you should try repetition. As the name implies this method basically means writing/reading/listening to important points over and over again until you get it.

But first, you need to know how to take notes and organize them properly. You can't just willy nilly write down anything on a sheet of paper and expect to absorb it later. I'd be surprised if your teachers haven't given you basic outlines on how to do this yet. If you don't know how I can advise you.

At any rate, say you are studying social studies. You went to class, you listened to the lecture, you took notes but something doesn't stick. Your first step here would be to review your notes and to re-read the book section. Compare the two for any holes. I find it useful to highlight while I read.

As you are doing this you should start picking new tidbits of information. Read your book, write down your notes, read your book, write down the notes. Etc. etc. For me personally writing down the important points is critical to the way I learn.

By the end of this you should realize how inadequate your in class notes were and hopefully learned quite a bit extra.

Summary:

Go to class take notes
Go home/library read book, highlight, take notes on important points
Learning is complete
/profit
good strategy o3o

problem is
i dont know where to find the info in teh textbook till a few days later

RisenDemon

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I feel like I should help a fellow asian out...
What works best for me, is "disabling" everything in my room that could distract me. (ie, cutting of the cable to my TV, diconnecting the power cords, etc.)
Also, what would really help is making a schedule of everything you plan on doing for the next month. Plan at least 3 hours of study time for each day and plan any event that you may come across.
FOLLOW THE SCHEDULE, and make adjustments where needed.

AfireAzuaki

Epic Skial Regular
I feel like I should help a fellow asian out...
What works best for me, is "disabling" everything in my room that could distract me. (ie, cutting of the cable to my TV, diconnecting the power cords, etc.)
Also, what would really help is making a schedule of everything you plan on doing for the next month. Plan at least 3 hours of study time for each day and plan any event that you may come across.
FOLLOW THE SCHEDULE, and make adjustments where needed.
like... study in my room since every place in the living room and near it has a tv and everything else EXTREMELY distracting..... lol there is alot of tvs around me house :3 except in my bedroom =(

Luckyboxes

Wicked Nasty Engineer
good strategy o3o

problem is
i dont know where to find the info in teh textbook till a few days later

What do you mean you don't know where to find the info? You don't have assigned chapters or a general idea of where you are at? It is okay if you study ahead a bit too far... it will only come in handy later.

Just remember that to maintain your focus you not only have to cut out extraneous distractions like steam, skial forums, and tv but you have to give yourself time to regenerate. Your brain can only absorb so much.

Study for 50 minutes, get up walk around for 10, and go back. It will help I promise.

And bring a snack to keep your energy levels up high. I used to bring a bottle of bailey's with me to the library to spice up my coffee. That probably won't work for you seeing as how you are in the 8th grade... sooo maybe cookies?

AfireAzuaki

Epic Skial Regular
What do you mean you don't know where to find the info? You don't have assigned chapters or a general idea of where you are at? It is okay if you study ahead a bit too far... it will only come in handy later.

Just remember that to maintain your focus you not only have to cut out extraneous distractions like steam, skial forums, and tv but you have to give yourself time to regenerate. Your brain can only absorb so much.

Study for 50 minutes, get up walk around for 10, and go back. It will help I promise.

And bring a snack to keep your energy levels up high. I used to bring a bottle of bailey's with me to the library to spice up my coffee. That probably won't work for you seeing as how you are in the 8th grade... sooo maybe cookies?
we get teh information from a powerpoint or "activstudio" in the classroom, like a slideshow or something. He "activboard" is able to be written on