Maxerhex

Unremarkable User
From what I can see, the main reason why people wanted the KGB to be nerfed is because it synergised too well with the mad milk and ubercharge. Being able to deal 200-ish health per swing was insane, so rather than nerfing how well KGB Heavy pairs with a mad milk scout or a pocket medic, they went ahead and nerfed the damage of it, which doesn't help anything, he's still a complete pain to take down when you're milked or if he's ubercharged, and when he's not he's basically fodder and does a pretty pitiful amount of damage when the boss runs off with a superjump.
So here's my rework that actually deals with the problem instead of nerfing Heavy's only viable way to a shell of its former glory.

- Revert the KGB to its former stats (300 damage per swing etc)
- Give it a 80% or 70% reduction of health regained from healers (Mad Milk and Medics, but not Medkits, like the Valve Backscratcher) or better yet, no health at all from milk.
- Give KGB Heavies the inability to be ubercharged or overhealed... maybe.

This rework is much better in my opinion, it keeps Boxing Heavy as a short range powerhouse that punishes the boss for getting too near without an ambush from above, but reducing how long he can hug the boss with melee hits before he has to retreat.
KGB Heavies get absolutely demolished by rage, he doesn't have a "get out of jail" free card like Demo, Soldier, Sniper, Engi, Pyro etc. he can't whip out a sniper rifle, minigun or pistol when he's too far away. This encourages good KGB heavies to back off every once in a while if they feel that the boss is about to use rage, and makes it completely unavoidable if they are in range, sacrificing continuous damage (which was already lacking) for survivability and staying out of range for potentially lethal stuns.
It also gets rid of the elephant in the room, his "invincibility" from Mad Milk that players cry so much about, with this nerf, Heavy will only be regaining 80ishHP per swing, even when the boss is milked if they add the damage reduction (compared to the boss' 201), but allows him to stay in the fight if he can flank out of Hale's range and take advantage of his own melee range.

Removing Heavies only viable way of playing wasn't a good move. (Vanilla Heavy sucks too, a Medic isn't gonna do such an obscure thing like "heal people" in VSH, they could be running into the boss with a syringe gun and dying) Revert the KGB and give Heavy a more glass cannon playstyle, keep him as a powerhouse but add more risk of continuously dealing damage.

Whurr

Uncharitable Spy
+1.
my initial plan with the nerf suggestion was to make mad milk not synergize with KGB as well, what we got was the one nerf that didn't solve the actual problem (and to top it off, the KGB now does 224 damage instead of 225) though i guess if i was smarter i would've not suggested the alternative (lowering KGB's damage) because in reality all it did was nerf the damage output (which was never a problem to begin with) and when your options for damage as heavy are the brass beast or the KGB, people are more likely to pick the latter instead of the former because the former is just boring (overreliance on medics/taunt minicrits to even be able to deal a decent amount of damage) whilst the latter is more fun to use (no reliance on medics or taunt minicrits, you deal a decent amount of damage per hit and fighting hale in a 1 on 1 is more engaging than just shooting him at a distance for 108 damage per second) originally i was gonna suggest -60% health from healers, but then i realized that both just shit on med's ability to heal a KGB heavy at all and let them build uber quicker off of them, but on the mad milk's side of it, that would mean you'd be getting the health of hitting hale twice without needing to hit hale twice.

tl;dr: the current "nerf" that's been applied (without even telling anyone which one got applied in the thread, unless it was announced on the discord server, which i am not in) doesn't solve the actual problem (mad milk making KGB heavies virtually invincible) that was brought up in the original nerf suggestion and i will take the blame for even having suggesting nerfing the damage on the KGB, since it did nothing but make the only viable way for heavy to even deal damage (there's ubercharges, but as mentioned in the op, hale can just superjump away)

Reactions: Alxdusty

Whurr

Uncharitable Spy
so this apparently got approved but... none of the changes actually suggested in the op made it in?? you deal 259 on hit (not the suggested revert to 300) and you heal for 225 health on hit if hale is milked (60% of 259 is 155, so the suggestion to lower how much health you gain from healers wasn't added) and medics build overheal on you slower, and your movement speed has been slightly reduced (287.5 from 299) mad milk is still problematic with the changes that made it in.

edit: inspected a KGB heavy in-game and the -80% health from healers only works on medics and dispensers, not mad milk for some reason. so i guess you'll just have to find a way to make mad milk convert 40% of damage done to health or you might just have to ban mad milk outright (would rather not prefer having to ban 1 unlock because it pairs too well with another class' unlock, but banning it outright should only be reserved as an absolute last resort)

Last edited:

Maxerhex

Unremarkable User
so this apparently got approved but... none of the changes actually suggested in the op made it in?? you deal 259 on hit (not the suggested revert to 300) and you heal for 225 health on hit if hale is milked (60% of 259 is 155, so the suggestion to lower how much health you gain from healers wasn't added) and medics build overheal on you slower, and your movement speed has been slightly reduced (287.5 from 299) mad milk is still problematic with the changes that made it in.

edit: inspected a KGB heavy in-game and the -80% health from healers only works on medics and dispensers, not mad milk for some reason. so i guess you'll just have to find a way to make mad milk convert 40% of damage done to health or you might just have to ban mad milk outright (would rather not prefer having to ban 1 unlock because it pairs too well with another class' unlock, but banning it outright should only be reserved as an absolute last resort)
You would've thought after two tries they'd of gotten it at least close to correct

• Dumb
Reactions: Feral Angel