Sir Gooch P Tigglington

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I carry a lot of sensitive client information when I'm out in the field, and my old vanilla Aegis external drive finally quit after 6 years of admirable service (even had this thing in the military, it lasted me through two deployments).

So, since I carry all this data around that would get me fired if I ever lost it, and I needed a new drive anyway, enter the Aegis Padlock:

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Hard...&qid=1342834988&sr=8-1&keywords=aegis+padlock

Fapfapfapfapfapfap :megusta:

Reactions: PsychoRealm

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If you enter the wrong pin a certain number of times, the data on the drive is destroyed.

gdakD.gif

Neat, but that could go so horribly wrong.

Sir Gooch P Tigglington

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Jackass comments from mods aside (seem to be a lot of those around here), I needed a new drive, and I have always had the fear I'd lose the drive I was using or it would be stolen, so this kills two birds with one stone. Thought people would be interested since this was a nifty gadget.

ProbeX

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Wait if you lost the data you lose your job. someone tries to get the info, the info is destroyed. Wouldn't you lose your job?

Sir Gooch P Tigglington

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I should clarify. If I lost the data to theft I would lose my job. I keep tons of client MSDN licensing, network diagrams, etc. with me. We obviously have this all backed up on our LAN, but if it got outside of the company I would get canned. And I like being employed, as I'm sure most people do.

Shit really cuts into my TF2/Skyrim time though. :alone:

[Interrogator]

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I should clarify. If I lost the data to theft I would lose my job. I keep tons of client MSDN licensing, network diagrams, etc. with me. We obviously have this all backed up on our LAN, but if it got outside of the company I would get canned. And I like being employed, as I'm sure most people do.

Shit really cuts into my TF2/Skyrim time though. :alone:
Why do you need this information with you at all times especially if it could get you fired?

Sir Gooch P Tigglington

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Why do you need this information with you at all times especially if it could get you fired?

BRO WE LIVE IN THE INFORMATION AGE

In all honesty, you'd be surprised at the kind of surprising shit I have to deal with sometimes. Just the other day, I get a phone call while I'm out at a client:

"Hey, our internet is down, come fix it."

When I get there: "Yeah, so we decided we didn't want all these switches and stuff because they were crowding up the server closet, so we ditched those, but things aren't working right. Can you fix it?"

Out pops the network diagram I made for them. I couldn't live without the massive amounts of data I carry around, mostly because a lot of my clients do jackass stuff like the above example. If I actually worked for these companies and wasn't just their consulting engineer, I would put locks that only I could access on all server rooms and switching closets.

[Interrogator]

Australian Skial God
Contributor
BRO WE LIVE IN THE INFORMATION AGE

In all honesty, you'd be surprised at the kind of surprising shit I have to deal with sometimes. Just the other day, I get a phone call while I'm out at a client:

"Hey, our internet is down, come fix it."

When I get there: "Yeah, so we decided we didn't want all these switches and stuff because they were crowding up the server closet, so we ditched those, but things aren't working right. Can you fix it?"

Out pops the network diagram I made for them. I couldn't live without the massive amounts of data I carry around, mostly because a lot of my clients do jackass stuff like the above example. If I actually worked for these companies and wasn't just their consulting engineer, I would put locks that only I could access on all server rooms and switching closets.
Couldn't you try and tell them to change the policies so that you wouldn't get fired for carrying that information, maybe get some other employees to file some complaints about it and Plus that WE LIVE IN THE INFORMATION AGE doesn't seem to apply to your job because they must have a good reason why they won't allow what you are doing and if they don't really have a good reason maybe it's just because no one has made them aware of how important it is to have this information on you when on the job. Oh and do you work in the city you live in or do you?

Sir Gooch P Tigglington

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I think it's pretty neat....

But..umm..if someone really dislikes you..and fucks with it..and knows it will wipe clean after a certain amount of tries..they perhaps might do it to get you in shit?

If it gets wiped I wouldn't mind because, as I said, we have this data backed up. I've just always worried about losing my stuff (like, physically losing the drive and someone just being able to pick it up and get in it) or having it stolen. I would go full retard if that happened.

Ivory Jubilee~

Epic Skial Regular
So after a certain number of wrong attempts the data that couldn't be accessed by the perpetrator is deleted anyway, makes sense