Stitch/Glue

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
It's a pretty nice, but it's good thing that stuff on it is backed up, cause like johnny said it would suck if you had someone that dislikes you and wipes it. I had a phone like that, if you put on a code and you got it wrong 10 times it wipes all the contacts, notes, music, pictures, everything. It was annoying because one of my friends wiped everything in the phone one time, it took me a week trying to get all the contacts back

Sir Gooch P Tigglington

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
It's a pretty nice, but it's good thing that stuff on it is backed up, cause like johnny said it would suck if you had someone that dislikes you and wipes it. I had a phone like that, if you put on a code and you got it wrong 10 times it wipes all the contacts, notes, music, pictures, everything. It was annoying because one of my friends wiped everything in the phone one time, it took me a week trying to get all the contacts back

Yeah, you will often find policies on phones like that if you are using Exchange ActiveSync, you can set the phone to completely wipe out after so many failed attempts.

Luckily people irl don't hate me as much as on Skial. :P

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Would've been MUCH cheaper if you had bought a regular HDD and then encrypted it using TrueCrypt which is extremely powerful open-source encryption software.
But nice device though.

JohnnyGaloshes

Banned
Contributor
I carry a lot of sensitive client information when I'm out in the field, and my old vanilla Aegis external drive finally quit after 6 years of admirable service (even had this thing in the military, it lasted me through two deployments).

So, since I carry all this data around that would get me fired if I ever lost it, and I needed a new drive anyway, enter the Aegis Padlock:

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Hardware-Encrypted-Portable-A25-3PL256-1000/dp/B007JGB0EI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342834988&sr=8-1&keywords=aegis padlock

Fapfapfapfapfapfap :megusta:

If it gets wiped I wouldn't mind because, as I said, we have this data backed up. I've just always worried about losing my stuff (like, physically losing the drive and someone just being able to pick it up and get in it) or having it stolen. I would go full retard if that happened.

I'm confused..if you have it backed up why would you be worried if you we're to get fired..just get a regular one and not worry or spend the extra money for one that would be tempting to try to crack by some retard who goes "duh..i can crack this thing"

Nacasius

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Clearly the problem is from someone trying to take the propriety info from the drive and not from losing the drive itself.
That is where the "loss" comes in.
Fail troll is fail.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You got any sources to back that up or are you just talking out of your ass?
Of course I do have sources. I'm a licensed PI and prior to using TrueCrypt on my personal HDD I made sure that it's compliant with government standards.
I think that the fact that AES (the US government’s Advanced Encryption Standard) is one of the standards that is being used in TrueCrypt should be enough and I won't have to talk about all other standards TrueCrypt is compliant with and certified for such as FIPS 197, FIPS 198, FIPS 180-2. If you want to know more about FIPS standard, please visit NIST knowledgebase.
The Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) specifies a FIPS-approved cryptographic algorithm (Rijndael, designed by Joan Daemen and Vincent Rijmen, published in 1998) that may be used by US federal departments and agencies to cryptographically protect sensitive information. TrueCrypt uses AES with 14 rounds and a 256-bit key (i.e., AES-256, published in 2001) operating in XTS mode.

In June 2003, after the NSA (US National Security Agency) conducted a review and analysis of AES, the U.S. CNSS (Committee on National Security Systems) announced in that the design and strength of AES-256 (and AES-192) are sufficient to protect classified information up to the Top Secret level. This is applicable to all U.S. Government Departments or Agencies that are considering the acquisition or use of products incorporating the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) to satisfy Information Assurance requirements associated with the protection of national security systems and/or national security information.

Rationale: I do understand and I did mentioned that your device is cool, but there is absolutely no reason to bullshit on encryption software. Especially if you've never tried to use it or to break it.

PS. I would wanna see you decrypting AES.

Reactions: wokmage

Sir Gooch P Tigglington

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Of course I do have sources. I'm a licensed PI and prior to using TrueCrypt on my personal HDD I made sure that it's compliant with government standards.
I think that the fact that AES (the US government’s Advanced Encryption Standard) is one of the standards that is being used in TrueCrypt should be enough and I won't have to talk about all other standards TrueCrypt is compliant with and certified for such as FIPS 197, FIPS 198, FIPS 180-2. If you want to know more about FIPS standard, please visit NIST knowledgebase.
The Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) specifies a FIPS-approved cryptographic algorithm (Rijndael, designed by Joan Daemen and Vincent Rijmen, published in 1998) that may be used by US federal departments and agencies to cryptographically protect sensitive information. TrueCrypt uses AES with 14 rounds and a 256-bit key (i.e., AES-256, published in 2001) operating in XTS mode.

In June 2003, after the NSA (US National Security Agency) conducted a review and analysis of AES, the U.S. CNSS (Committee on National Security Systems) announced in that the design and strength of AES-256 (and AES-192) are sufficient to protect classified information up to the Top Secret level. This is applicable to all U.S. Government Departments or Agencies that are considering the acquisition or use of products incorporating the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) to satisfy Information Assurance requirements associated with the protection of national security systems and/or national security information.

Rationale: I do understand and I did mentioned that your device is cool, but there is absolutely no reason to bullshit on encryption software. Especially if you've never tried to use it or to break it.

PS. I would wanna see you decrypting AES.

The level of encryption is compliant with government standards, yes. But that's like saying "the government needs an operating system on this computer, and it needs to do networking. Windows is a compliant operating system". Just because something is compliant with government standards DOES NOT mean that the government is currently fielding that particular solution. I promise you, the government would not use open-source software based encryption. You may be a licensed PI, but I was a systems and support engineer in the Marine Corps for five years with a focus on IA. This is what I do for a living.

That aside, I do need to apologize to you for my last post, I was being a dick there and I should have been a little more civil. Sorry about that.

My concern with software based encryption is that there are already solutions in the wild to crack the keys. Hell, Defcon even had a contest for this. The other thing that makes me paranoid is that, if someone really wanted to, all they'd have to do is throw a keylogger on your machine and grab your key. I like hardware encryption for the fact that you must physically manipulate something in order to gain access.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...truecrypt-hard-disks-in-minutes-89502507.html

This conversation has got me wondering if I could find a way to crack the key on my hard-drive though. Very interesting. I should definitely do my own pen-test.

Again, I'm really sorry for my douchey comment earlier, my post was not doing anything further an intellectual conversation. I'll try to check myself on that from here on out because I like where this is going.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You may be a licensed PI, but I was a systems and support engineer in the Marine Corps for five years with a focus on IA. This is what I do for a living.
I had been working as Security Analyst for such ISPs as Comcast, AT&T and Verizon for almost 5 years :D
I do need to apologize to you for my last post, I was being a dick there and I should have been a little more civil. Sorry about that.
Accepted. That was very mature of you. You've gotten my respect.
My concern with software based encryption is that there are already solutions in the wild to crack the keys. Hell, Defcon even had a contest for this. The other thing that makes me paranoid is that, if someone really wanted to, all they'd have to do is throw a keylogger on your machine and grab your key.
There have been a lot of rumors circling around about AES being cracked - however, there have been no solid proof that actually happened. It is near to impossible to crack AES with the kind of machinery we currently have. Brute-forcing AES key using 128,000,000,000,000 calculations per second (capacity of regular i7) will approximately take 20,455 years.
I like hardware encryption for the fact that you must physically manipulate something in order to gain access.
Hardware encryption is better, indeed. Overpriced though - but if it servers its purpose and fits your needs - then it makes sense to buy it.
Tried that. No success. This article is nothing much but stupid ads.
http://g1.globo.com/English/noticia/2010/06/not-even-fbi-can-de-crypt-files-daniel-dantas.html
I launched brute force attack against TrueCrypt's password using domain of 20 PCs. It had been running for almost 3 weeks non-stop. Then i simply stopped it.

Sir Gooch P Tigglington

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Yeah brute force on any encryption, regardless of whether it is software based or hardware based, is impossible right now with the technology that we have at our disposal. But the problem with software encryption is that there are ways to extract the key without the need to brute force. Hardware encryption, you would have to beat my ass to within an inch of my life to get the key. :p

Here's the link to the product in the article I posted:
http://www.lostpassword.com/kit-forensic.htm

Ruelel

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah brute force on any encryption, regardless of whether it is software based or hardware based, is impossible right now with the technology that we have at our disposal. But the problem with software encryption is that there are ways to extract the key without the need to brute force. Hardware encryption, you would have to beat my ass to within an inch of my life to get the key. :p

Here's the link to the product in the article I posted:
http://www.lostpassword.com/kit-forensic.htm
ONLY $995 for a pw finder. WHAT A STEAL