Shula

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Doesn't RAM need to be matching?

Not really. It depends on the motherboard. I ran a 2gb stick and 1gb stick in a older laptop I had. If the bus speeds are different then it will only run at the lower speed and you may lose a channel. For stability purposes, you should run same brand, speed and size.

Ryan The Reginald

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Also if you are going to purchase ram the speed does not really matter that much. Going from 1333mhz ram to 1600mhz ram only increases system performance in games by about 1%. The only case where ram speed would matter a lot is if you are using an APU instead of a CPU. CAS latency also plays a big factor in how fast the ram actually is, the lower the CAS latency the better.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
So I removed the 2GB and things seem to be running smoother, but I also noticed my bluetooth driver was causing errors in event viewer so I repaired that. I'll post an update if things go to shit again.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
To me, it makes sense since the problem was never one specific error. I can imagine a bad hard drive producing a whole slew of various errors. I had several BSOD codes, computer crashes, freezes, graphical, sound errors. Nothing was ever consistent enough to try to point to a cause.

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
It's good that you solved your problem. Just for future reference for anyone else looking at this thread, a failing hard drive will likely show disk read and/or write errors in the Windows event viewer.