ctn

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Hi,

this is half a question and half a suggestion.

I am wondering whether IP banning is actually useful. Most private households have dynamic IP addresses; if somebody restarts their router, every device in the network is assigned a new IP address. So a cheater can easily evade an IP ban with a new account and a new IP address.

Since ISPs (at least where I live) automatically disconnect your router for a couple of seconds from their service once a day (unless you explicitly opt out of this), IPs change daily. This brings the possibility, that one day your computer gets an IP address assigned to it, that somebody once used to cheat. Then you get banned even though you did not do anything wrong.

If I am not missing something and there aren't any reasons that make my argument above invalid, I would suggest to remove IP banning.

Bottiger

Administrator
There is no way for our server to see mac addresses, it is replaced with the router on every hop, and it is as easy to change as the name of your computer.

IP bans are very useful. Most people can't change ips even when they reboot their router. Without ip bans there would be no way to stop hackers from making a new account and rejoining.

Since ISPs (at least where I live) automatically disconnect your router for a couple of seconds from their service once a day (unless you explicitly opt out of this), IPs change daily. This brings the possibility, that one day your computer gets an IP address assigned to it, that somebody once used to cheat. Then you get banned even though you did not do anything wrong.

Yes Deutsche Telekom is one of the few problem providers that allow easy IP changes which is why we auto-ban new accounts there. It was exploited by serial hackers like [valve] twilight sparkle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Italian Doctor