ctn

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Hi,

this is half a question and half a suggestion.

I am wondering whether IP banning is actually useful. Most private households have dynamic IP addresses; if somebody restarts their router, every device in the network is assigned a new IP address. So a cheater can easily evade an IP ban with a new account and a new IP address.

Since ISPs (at least where I live) automatically disconnect your router for a couple of seconds from their service once a day (unless you explicitly opt out of this), IPs change daily. This brings the possibility, that one day your computer gets an IP address assigned to it, that somebody once used to cheat. Then you get banned even though you did not do anything wrong.

If I am not missing something and there aren't any reasons that make my argument above invalid, I would suggest to remove IP banning.

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Do both. And then do biometrics banning. Anyone that shares and portion of DNA with a cheater also gets banned. Can't have cheaters in the bloodline.

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Don't remove anything that allows alt accounts. I doubt many people with their bullshit stories are actually being false banned by getting someone else's IP address.

This wouldnt even be an issue if Valve wasn't morons and make this game FTP.

Last edited:

Node

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Do both. And then do biometrics banning. Anyone that shares and portion of DNA with a cheater also gets banned. Can't have cheaters in the bloodline.
"Please pee in this cup to be banned, thank you and have a great day"

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Going free to play made a lot of sense from a business standpoint, just not from an anticheat

Yeah except like.....I literally stopped playing cause I got tired of cheaters. And I wasn't someone who bought skins n shit.

So they haven't gotten a dime from me. Rip.

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
There is a possibility that people out there have spent more on cheats than money in tf2. Not as a whole, but on the individual level.

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Didn't mean to derail. I just think not IP banning isn't a good solution. There's really no win here.

Node

There is a possibility that people out there have spent more on cheats than money in tf2. Not as a whole, but on the individual level.
Cheating is a very weird idea. if you want to feel powerful in a game wouldn't you play a single player shooter where you can have a excessively unfair advantage? I guess it's the idea of annoying other people that gets them off. Either that or they have nothing better to do in their lives so feeling superior to someone in a 15-year-old game is important to them them

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Cheating is a very weird idea. if you want to feel powerful in a game wouldn't you play a single player shooter where you can have a excessively unfair advantage? I guess it's the idea of annoying other people that gets them off. Either that or they have nothing better to do in their lives so feeling superior to someone in a 15-year-old game is important to them them

There's reasons to cheat as described by plenty of cheaters. All of them suck. Git gud.

Node

Didn't mean to derail. I just think not IP banning isn't a good solution. There's really no win here.
A better solution would be to keep record of a cheaters IP address, their Mac address for their computer, and their steam profile ID. If someone logs in on a hackers IP address but the MAC address and the steam address doesn't match, then it means it's a brand new person who just happened to get a cheaters IP address. However if a new user logs in on the same IP address and the same Mac address, then that just means someone is using that same computer at that same IP address so it's most likely the same hacker so then they should be rebanned.

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I agree but I have no clue about changing IP or MAC addresses. I've never done it before and I'm not looking to give anyone any ideas on how to do it.

Node

I agree but I have no clue about changing IP or MAC addresses. I've never done it before and I'm not looking to give anyone any ideas on how to do it.
IP address are for the network, some providers will change them overtime which can cause issues. MAC is the hardware which would require buying a whole new computer. It's possible to change it but I don't think most script kiddies know how.

Btw my knowledge is from a single semester of cybersecurity I took as an elective in college. I may be wrong, I'm not an expert lol

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I know a place where they don't IP ban. It's called Valve casual servers. They have no admins or IP bans and look how cheater free they are.

Oh wait....

Node

I know a place where they don't IP ban. It's called Valve casual servers. They have no admins or IP bans and look how cheater free they are.

Oh wait....
Exactly, alternatively we hope valve gets around to getting better anti cheat in their games

Trillium

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Mac address is very much like a social security number, except that it's for a computer instead of a person. (iirc)

ctn

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Even though a MAC address is hard coded in the hardware of your network adapter and cannot be changed, there is a way to spoof it. There is even software out there, that allows you to do that quite easily. Simply googling "change mac address" gives a few results.

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Even though a MAC address is hard coded in the hardware of your network adapter and cannot be changed, there is a way to spoof it. There is even software out there, that allows you to do that quite easily. Simply googling "change mac address" gives a few results.

I'm not using a mac though I have Windows PC.