• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Yee or naaaaaaah

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I actually considered coming back for this update. I'd just get the best skin/highest level/unusual/strange medi gun, put it in my memorial, and then leave again.
Imma hack your xbox live and take your items.

I was in a valve server when somebody unboxed an unusual Scattergun. It made me quite salty indeed.

shoooooooooooooooo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I honestly don't approve of the axtinguisher nerf on it's own. You already had to get close to an enemy to set them on fire, then you had to get even closer to the enemy too land that 195. This was the only way to possibly kill a heavy as a Pyro unless you wanted to waste time spitting flares at it.
or just don't engage the heavy. even when using the old axtinguisher you stood hardly a chance in hell against a heavy. It's always smarter to walk away instead of over extending and getting your ass killed in a matchup your class wasn't made to fight.

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You're not supposed to be close to a Heavy anyway. His minigun will rip your anus apart.
Well, initially, the Pyro was basically meant to be a spy, flank and destroy enemies from the behind. Once they released compression blast, it was implied and regular Pyros decided that they can now play more aggressive and less reserved. The axtinguisher was one of those weapons that promoted aggressive gameplay, but that got nerfed, so Pyros went with the powerjack but then that got nerfed this update so there really is no viable melee weapon for Pyro. It all started with the axtinguisher so it'd be better if Valve just unnerfed it and this Pyro dilemma would be done and over with.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Well, initially, the Pyro was basically meant to be a spy, flank and destroy enemies from the behind. Once they released compression blast, it was implied and regular Pyros decided that they can now play more aggressive and less reserved. The axtinguisher was one of those weapons that promoted aggressive gameplay, but that got nerfed, so Pyros went with the powerjack but then that got nerfed this update so there really is no viable melee weapon for Pyro. It all started with the axtinguisher so it'd be better if Valve just unnerfed it and this Pyro dilemma would be done and over with.
The Axtinguisher is still pretty good, just can't kill as fast, as long as you play smart it's not bad.

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The Axtinguisher is still pretty good, just can't kill as fast, as long as you play smart it's not bad.
I was always enjoyed the ability to turn the tides as a Pyro. Set em on fire, airblast em, shoot a flare for that 90 damage, wait for landing and drop the axtinguisher for that 195 and then just wait for afterburn to take it's toll. Now it's all gone. I invested into a strange festive spec ks axtinguisher with 3 parts, sold it cause axtinguisher sucked, bought a powerjack and gave that a spec ks and now it sucks. No matter how much money I invest into items by valve for valve, they always seem to hurt my joy. Curse you Valve. Make the axtinguisher good again, make the powerjack good again, let heavies drop sandviches to heal themselves for 150, return the equalizer, bring back the dead ringer, bring back the cow mangler, stop fucking with the good weps and start fixing the bad ones ffs.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I was always enjoyed the ability to turn the tides as a Pyro. Set em on fire, airblast em, shoot a flare for that 90 damage, wait for landing and drop the axtinguisher for that 195 and then just wait for afterburn to take it's toll. Now it's all gone. I invested into a strange festive spec ks axtinguisher with 3 parts, sold it cause axtinguisher sucked, bought a powerjack and gave that a spec ks and now it sucks. No matter how much money I invest into items by valve for valve, they always seem to hurt my joy. Curse you Valve. Make the axtinguisher good again, make the powerjack good again, let heavies drop sandviches to heal themselves for 150, return the equalizer, bring back the dead ringer, bring back the cow mangler, stop fucking with the good weps and start fixing the bad ones ffs.
I wouldn't say the Powerjack sucks, just not as good. That speed boost is still nice.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
With the damage penalty? Not really.
The damage penalty isn't that bad, I mean if you're using the flare gun instead of the Shotty then sure it sucks. And on VSH you can still play a mean capping Pyro with it.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor

To be fair, if you switch to your melee weapon that does ~70 damage a hit while using your flamethrower, you're doing something wrong. The axtinguisher used to be ok, but now you're better off throwing on a stock flamethrower.

Party Chocobo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So just go back to being Spyro and backstabbing people on fire with the Axtinguisher.

CDAWG

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Idk why people are complaining about heavy v pyro. Yes, you shouldn't engage a ton but they aren't huge unbeatable tanks. Best way to take them is spot them first and use corners to your advantage. That 90 crit-flare stacks fast. If they spot you first, airblast and get to cover or circle-strafe them with a constant stream of fire. Fire disorients average players.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
I personally feel like the axtinguisher is perfect where it is at. It was not so much that it was overpowered as it was over-used. After the nerf, the powerjack took its place and has since then been nerfed as well. The current axe rewards pyros with a pretty much guaranteed kill for being sneaky and approaching from behind, which is something that should be done anyway. Up front, the flare gun is an infinitely more viable option as it does more damage and has longer range capability. I do not like any of the flareguns for reason being that you become a one hit wonder (flame/airblast/flaregun everytime) with not much flexibility. The scorchshot/detonator are trash in my opinion as they provide low damage and little combo. I find the shotgun to incredibly powerful and underestimated, as it does as much as the flaregun up close and is more reliable at medium range where you flamethrower/flaregun crit ability is just out of reach. I almost never use the primary to dish out damage, as it cannot provide the burst damage that secondary and melee can. The axtinguisher is still great when used against a cornered opponent, even up front as the burst damage is considerably greater than any non-crit flamethrower.