mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I hope that 'any of this crap' doesn't include updating your os and installing an antivirus software, because then I would strongly suggest that you do so.

If you have a genuine version that you bought, I can understand your confusion. It's a very streamlined configuration to get the computer working when you don't have to work around Microsoft.
I have Windows 7 Ultimate from a torrent. It updates just fine all the time and I've never had any issues.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Do you know how the creator of the torrent works around KB971033?
Yes. well not technically... when installed, before you run updates, make sure that specific update is unchecked and hide it. the copy of ultimate going around has this unchecked by default, you need to hide it though or you just install it on second batch of updates.
you can also use the WAT removal tool if you have installed it already.

Yes. well not technically... when installed, before you run updates, make sure that specific update is unchecked and hide it. the copy of ultimate going around has this unchecked by default, you need to hide it though or you just install it on second batch of updates.
you can also use the WAT removal tool if you have installed it already.

What I don't quite understand is why the update isn't mandatory by now. It isn't even checked as default installation in the Windows update. Or is it as simple as the update was a test on Windows 7 and it was then not made mandatory because of the potential bugs (I heard a lot of stories about it flagging genuine computers for no particular reason).

Can any experienced window user shed some light on it?

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
What I don't quite understand is why the update isn't mandatory by now. It isn't even checked as default installation in the Windows update. Or is it as simple as the update was a test on Windows 7 and it was then not made mandatory because of the potential bugs (I heard a lot of stories about it flagging genuine computers for no particular reason).

Can any experienced window user shed some light on it?
Microsoft isn't stupid they know most of their OS users pirate, it would be bad business to actually enforce "genuine" checks. The same teenagers who steal their OS are the same ones expected to buy Xbox products...

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Maybe there interest shifted to win8. Could also be that they are not allowed to force a download on you... would think that would be illegal.

Maybe there interest shifted to win8. Could also be that they are not allowed to force a download on you... would think that would be illegal.

Yeah, perhaps.
Hopefully this isn't enforced by Microsoft to support the idea of closing down their OS to bare minimum in defense of pirating. Wouldn't like the negative aspects that we are hinted about with Win8, but you're never too sure with Micorosft. :c

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah, perhaps.
Hopefully this isn't enforced by Microsoft to support the idea of closing down their OS to bare minimum in defense of pirating. Wouldn't like the negative aspects that we are hinted about with Win8, but you're never too sure with Micorosft. :c
It could also be possible that they think in terms of market share. even a pirated copy of win7 is a copy of win7... so kinda like cooking the books.
Just think if there was no pirate copies of win7.. I would imagine that hundreds of thousands, if not millions use a cracked copy, and the reason they use that is because they don't want or cant pay out for a gen copy. where would those people turn if they were forced to pay for an OS? most would go for the free option of Linux I would imagine. market share is sometimes just as important as profit for large multinationals.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
attachment.php