AisultanUmar

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
this map is not suited for skial, here's why :

1) multiple traps can be exploited and skipped either before or during its activation, here are a few examples :
on the first trap, demomen with shields and just charge and skip the cave part
on the avalanche trap, once activated you can just strafe jump around the walls created which is a technique used by many players when the trap is activated
with the cabin trap, you can just enter the room below with a gun and shoot out the skeletons, keeping you alive when its activated
the trap with the ice can be jumped over by a scout if they enter the ice and then right quickly jump, making them land on the snow instead of in the pit when the trap is activated
the pipe trap can be strafe jumped around, similarly to the avalanche trap

2) the minigame itself is not only boring, it also has a possibility of being exploited. when the wooden shacks are respawned, theres a chance the skeleton might get trapped there, leaving hale's rocket the only thing left that can kill the player. although not technically an exploit imo, standing in the corners reduces your chances overall when a rocket is being launched since the hitbox is small. standing in the corner is especially powerful when the skeleton himself is trapped in a spawned shack too.

3) this map is UNPOPULAR, barely anyone plays it. not even during a whole month do i often see this map played more than once or twice. i think this part is self-explanatory

4) this isn't really a problem outside of skial BUT, due to skial using Deathrun Neu the scouts can just run and make the round end on average faster than they should be. the only thing keeping it from ending too early is the fact that we have ski lifts but after that, they can still rush through to the end since there are traps along the way they can strafe around

OVERALL, although i dont think its one of the worst maps yet, i still believe its not very good to belong on skial. that's why i suggest we remove it

Last edited:

arctic dino

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Mapper
You also forgot where Demomen can use the shield charge to skip the 50/50 cable cars (speaking of which I just saw this happen as Hale minutes ago before map change).
That and the cave exploit is not due to the map itself but because of Skial allowing the shield charge to work.

4) this isn't really a problem outside of skial BUT, due to skial using Deathrun Neu the scouts can just run and make the round end on average faster than they should be
Deathrun Neu is not why Scout is fast. It does have a feature where player speed can be changed to a set value but Skial isn't using that. The server doesn't make any alterations to any of the classes movement speeds.

Sore

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
i would to +1 if you stopped making suggestions about the maps that is always often played and good map expect shitty maps especially

no thx, bugs doesn't matter and they are not game-breaking, wintervalley is still my favorite map this does not mean i like wintervalley a lot, imo it's fine map and those bugs can be fixed via stripper config or simply editing the map.

when i read the title, i stopped reading and went to make my comment on this suggestion

-1 they fit skial, a lot of people still vote the map.

(this comment was made in On-Screen Keyboard Windows 7, it took me minutes to finally send the post and it was worth it.)

Reactions: NotFred sucks at dr

Dr Depressed

Mildly Menacing Medic
this map is not suited for skial, here's why :

1) multiple traps can be exploited and skipped either before or during its activation, here are a few examples :
on the first trap, demomen with shields and just charge and skip the cave part
on the avalanche trap, once activated you can just strafe jump around the walls created which is a technique used by many players when the trap is activated
with the cabin trap, you can just enter the room below with a gun and shoot out the skeletons, keeping you alive when its activated
the trap with the ice can be jumped over by a scout if they enter the ice and then right quickly jump, making them land on the snow instead of in the pit when the trap is activated
the pipe trap can be strafe jumped around, similarly to the avalanche trap

2) the minigame itself is not only boring, it also has a possibility of being exploited. when the wooden shacks are respawned, theres a chance the skeleton might get trapped there, leaving hale's rocket the only thing left that can kill the player. although not technically an exploit imo, standing in the corners reduces your chances overall when a rocket is being launched since the hitbox is small. standing in the corner is especially powerful when the skeleton himself is trapped in a spawned shack too.

3) there's only ONE minigame? i know its an old map but, for 2024 i think we overall need better maps on skial than a map that is not only prone to exploits, its also quite boring at the end with the choice of a below-mediocre minigame or an instant win

4) this isn't really a problem outside of skial BUT, due to skial using Deathrun Neu the scouts can just run and make the round end on average faster than they should be. the only thing keeping it from ending too early is the fact that we have ski lifts but after that, they can still rush through to the end since there are traps along the way they can strafe around

OVERALL, although i dont think its one of the worst maps yet, i still believe its not very good to belong on skial. that's why i suggest we remove it
thats what i hate about this map it can be exploited and it's so boring and has only 1 minigame thats so ez and can be exploited easily also yes just like you said its not the worst map but its in my opinion the most boring skial dr map i have ever played.

Bloodpop

Uncharitable Spy
+1 Although heavily detailed, you can just ez trimp as a demoman to skip, 50/50 ski motors, the defuse bomb, and the house trap where a bomb spawns

and there's just boring insta win and 1 minigame

Bloodpop

Uncharitable Spy
-1 Its a good map, should stay. Its one of the most original maps on skial currently, keep it, unless you prefer to only play on the plain and boring trash like bazinga or skibidi
As a dr_wintevalley desiper. both bazinga and skibidi are fucking awful 💀

Sudsy

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I will personally fix the issues on the map (which honestly is not too hard, anyone could do it in 2 minutes) for skial if the owner of the map and servers talk it out and agree to it lol. Its an OG map with great design (excluding the issues regarding traps being able to be avoided and the lack of minigames), It being constantly nominated proves how much players enjoy it. Not every map has to be perfect.

Reactions: Bloodpop

Pot Head Wabbit

I will personally fix the issues on the map (which honestly is not too hard, anyone could do it in 2 minutes) for skial if the owner of the map and servers talk it out and agree to it lol. Its an OG map with great design (excluding the issues regarding traps being able to be avoided and the lack of minigames), It being constantly nominated proves how much players enjoy it. Not every map has to be perfect.
The inverse could also be true, it could also be the exploits causing the map to be picked, dr_office had its pit removed and the maps popularity nosedived so hard they reverted back to the old version for "popularity". Trump tower also had similar exploits, when those were patched out the maps popularity also plummeted, quite a few maps on skial have had this problem and I feel winter would suffer a similar fate.

Sudsy

Scarcely Lethal Noob
The inverse could also be true, it could also be the exploits causing the map to be picked, dr_office had its pit removed and the maps popularity nosedived so hard they reverted back to the old version for "popularity". Trump tower also had similar exploits, when those were patched out the maps popularity also plummeted, quite a few maps on skial have had this problem and I feel winter would suffer a similar fate.
Fair point, but at least full traps being avoided even when successfully timing and catching a player in it makes it a pain for hale to even enjoy it, no one wants to be hale in that map for this exact reason. At the very least the strafeable traps should be fixed to account for literal map functionality, I'd assume thats the bare minimum requirement for a map. Trimping is fine in my opinion, it's fun and hale can run ahead and catch the demos. (if only the traps worked!)
Even though it lets people left behind go risk free, they do not know whether hale went after them or not.

Pot Head Wabbit

The inverse could also be true, it could also be the exploits causing the map to be picked, dr_office had its pit removed and the maps popularity nosedived so hard they reverted back to the old version for "popularity".

Fair point, but at least full traps being avoided even when successfully timing and catching a player in it makes it a pain for hale to even enjoy it, no one wants to be hale in that map for this exact reason. At the very least the strafeable traps should be fixed to account for literal map functionality, I'd assume thats the bare minimum requirement for a map. Trimping is fine in my opinion, it's fun and hale can run ahead and catch the demos. (if only the traps worked!)
Even though it lets people left behind go risk free, they do not know whether hale went after them or not.
If were patching exploits to fix the map from hales side the trimps have got to go, most of them allow demos to get so far ahead so fast hale doesn't even have a chance unless they know the map well enough to know the exploits with the trimp and how to counter them.
https://www.skial.com/threads/report-dr_wintervalley-trimp-spots.109427/

Sore

don't fix all the exploits, add more minigames and fix where you can rocket and it leads to kill hale on the boss minigame then call it a day

Reactions: Sudsy